LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have looked at one of these hosepipes.
Can any one tell me are they as good as they say or are they just a gimmick also there is a big price variation is the more expensive one worth the extra money.
Thanks
S&D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno what the new ones are like.. The original ones failed at alarming rate though

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We have two on the motorhome, very good you need good water pressure when they are joined together or they shrivel up! We fill our tanks with them but they are not food graded, so we boil all water before drinking it, I think they are very good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I used the same type but not the expensive branded one! Last one cost me just £6.99 from B & M bargains. Really like the concept as takes up so little room, and appear to be silicone tubing inside - note however that some on here will advise to keep clear of anything that is not rated as food grade hose, assuming you are wanting it for filling the MH.

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
I have one of these hoses and they are quite good they stretch quite away when connected the down side is that the amount of water coming out is reduced compared to a conventional hose I partly solved that by replacing the fittings for better quality ones this did make quite a difference. overall I would recommend them

John

N

Nobody

Deleted User
we use one can't fault it (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have one. The inside of it popped off at the end but with a bit of pulling it back up its been repaired back on and working fine.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Get a watering can from the pound shop.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Had one for two years as good as new takes a bit longer to fill but for twelve quid excellent

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Got the cheaper version. Join 3 together and can fill up a mile away. Works a treat. Not food grade but we filter all out water. Not had to do a Linford Christie to the little boys room yet so in my book they've been a success .

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We have used them for about 3 years, lightweight, self emptying and of course they extend in length. As someone has said you need reasonable pressure to get best results but beware if the pressure is too high then make sure you close the valve gently or you can get a sudden build up of pressure and result in a burst. As for so called "food safe", unless the hose is charged with water and heated up by the sun for a few hours there is no way a quick fill lasting a few minutes using any hose is going to do you any harm. If it was, it would be banned from use as being far too dangerous. (My opinion of course)
Can't beat a few lengths of X hose, reaches most parts that others fail to reach!!

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There I just bought one from B & Q 75ft for filling my tank I’m going to treat it with kid gloves as the reviews don’t seem to be very good, even the instructions say don’t drag it across tarmac, gravel etc. having said that I’m sure if you are careful with it then it should last. I love the concept as others have said it’s so small when empty. Another thing to think about when you release the pressure to fill something or water something the hose tends to retract and if you are at the full extent of the hose it might pull out of the item you are filling especially if you do not have great water pressure. The other good thing is the fittings are universal I think.
Hope this Helps
Best Wishes Tony

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
just bought one from B & Q 75ft for filling my tank I’m going to treat it with kid gloves as the reviews don’t seem to be very good, even the instructions say don’t drag it across tarmac, gravel etc. having said that I’m sure if you are careful with it then it should last.
Hi I've got 2 which I had to join together when on a CL recently. The pipe ran across the field and was driven over twice by motorhomes whilst 'in flow' with no damage or loss of function.
regards
Nik.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I use lay flat hose that comes on a nice and easy to wind back reel.
Got 2 that can be joined together. Abot a tenner each.
They have had plenty of use in the past 3 years with no leaks, damage etc.
Food grade a waste of money unless you get EVERY drop of water out of it before storage.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Food grade a waste of money unless you get EVERY drop of water out of it before storage.
Agreed.....been saying that for ages.

The hose will still contain stagnant water when stored harbouring bacteria.
It could remain there for weeks or even months over winter lay-up.

I have never used, or intend to use, foodgrade hose.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The reason there are food grade and non-food grade hoses is nothing to do with biological hazards ( ie bacteria etc) so filtering will make no difference.

The reason is that garden hoses use plasticisers to keep them flexible and stop them going brittle when used in the sun etc. These plasticisers are not chemically bound to the PVC that the hose is made from so that they can migrate into the water flowing through the hose. These plasticisers have been implicated in cancers, male reproductive problems and a host of other long term medical conditions. Google " Phthalates".

We have had an X Hose for 3 years now and it is as good as new. One thing to take note of is that the instructions tell you to soak the hose in a bucket of water for 24 hours before use. This removes the blue dye in the cover. If you don't read the instructions - as we did not- you are likely to finish up with blue dye on everything you touch while using the hose when new.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
One thing to take note of is that the instructions tell you to soak the hose in a bucket of water for 24 hours before use. This removes the blue dye in the cover. If you don't read the instructions - as we did not- you are likely to finish up with blue dye on everything you touch while using the hose when new.

Aaahhh So!! So that's what all that Chinese scribble was trying to tell me!! The three x hoses (blue, green and orange) that I have have never dyed anything that I know of. The blue one did die on me in another way....more an explosion whilst I was in the middle of demonstrating it to a group of interested campers....We all got drenched as the burst caused the hose to snake around spraying everything in sight before I was able to jump on it and catch the bugger!! My audience were not that impressed and of course I was somewhat embarrassed. That was when I found out about shutting the valve too quickly whilst under too much pressure was not a good thing to do! :tmi:

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I use lay flat hose that comes on a nice and easy to wind back reel.
Hi There I use to have a grey Black and Decker flat hose on a reel, it was great, don't know what happened to it I suppose it disappeared in the divorce like my balls. Anyway what make is yours as they don't sell the B &D one anymore and I wouldn't mind one like it.
Many Thanks Tony

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Sorry to keep butting in. We went to a "Bug-Jam" today. Les's Son is into VW's etc. One of the stalls was selling "curly hoses". They look and feel identical to X hoses although orange in colour. 50ft @ £18, 75ft @£20 and 100ft @ 22! Bought the 100 ft. When I first bought X hose about 3 years ago I think I paid £75 for 75ft or something like that. I now have enough hose to circle Glastonbury Tor provided I can keep the pressure up!! :think:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back