Beem deflectetors mot faluer (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My van has just faled it mot on beem deflectetors.
Ben told that are not allowed.
VOSA rules
Bill

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Willdbill That seems rather harsh. I have taken my MH in for the last 3 MOT tests without removing the beam deflectors and the examiner did not even mention them. Maybe I have just been lucky. I will take a scraper and white spirit with me next time :)

My typing must be very slow. Two others commented whilst I was at the keyboard :rolleyes:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Couldn't you just have peeled them off and asked them to retest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Couldn't you just have peeled them off and asked them to retest

They do sometimes take some getting off, that's why I left mine on my old van and they never even noticed them or if they did, nothing was said.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In some ways I am glad they did fail it, no offence to you Bill, but if they deflect the beam as they are meant to they should fail on the actual alignment test rather than the fact they are fitted I would have thought

Don't bother with them myself, don't drive in the dark when over the channel and have DRL's for all but the worst of gloomy conditions and we would try to stop if it rained hard anyway

I find it odd that some of you are 'considerate' enough to fit them to go abroad but then 'inconsiderate' to leave them on when back home, I don't get it myself o_O

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Current van has passed twice with them on..
Previous van also passed 4 times !!!

First time I was rushing out to pull them off as they were driving the van in for the test. The guy said no need to take them off and so always left them on..

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Beam deflectors?... I used black duct tape last year stuck on while I waited for the ferry(y)(y)

(on my very old Renault Trafic)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why would you consider them "inconsiderate" they are after all only removing the upper part of the beam that shines to the nearside kerb, they would in no way affect the other drivers when driving back in the UK

I am always ready to stand corrected (unlike my headlights :D) they always used to be referred to as beam benders or deflectors, very much implying they redirect the beam rather than just block off part of it

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Beam deflectors are not acceptable to the VCA (Vehicle Certification Authority) for registering a vehicle but they have been acceptable for an MOT providing they seup correctly to prevent dazzle to oncoming traffic.
However the regulations reguarding headlamp beams and the MOT were tightened up with new requirements coming into force on 24th March 2016. This could be the reason for the failure, if this is the case it could mean anyone who has been relying on beam defectors may have to shell out for new headlamps.

The MOT headlamp aim test is changing

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
T
[QUOTE=".

The MOT headlamp aim test is changing
[/QUOTE]
Almost right Lenny its a done deal NOW .

It has changed, either as a deliberate act, or a simple slip of the pen.
The wording that used to say headlamp masks were not a reason for rejection has been removed
and substituted with a new phrase that says headlight masks are permitted for right hand headlamps in use in the UK
Personally i think they have jumped the gun a little, cos we wont be testing foreign cars with right hand headlamps here in the UK YET,
But it is coming in 2017 they say, MoT anywhere in the EU where ever you are from, our systems are already geared up for printing MoTs in all the EU languages so they tell us
Geo

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Must be good news for funsters abroad if they don't have to come home for mot !

Vlad

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mine are right hand headlights (y)
dont be surprised if your asked to replace them eventually they are clamping down on all aspects
that new rule is intended for vehicles temporarily here
I recently saw in the small print for Motor home insurance

This policy specifically excludes privately imported vehicles
Sneaky or what

Geo

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It was Uk registered in 2008 with LHD headlights. Surely changes cannot be retrospective

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
About 2 yrs back we had car fail for an air freshener hanging from interior morror, the examiner removed it and gave us a pass certificate,

Eric

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
In some ways I am glad they did fail it, no offence to you Bill, but if they deflect the beam as they are meant to they should fail on the actual alignment test rather than the fact they are fitted I would have thought

Don't bother with them myself, don't drive in the dark when over the channel and have DRL's for all but the worst of gloomy conditions and we would try to stop if it rained hard anyway

I find it odd that some of you are 'considerate' enough to fit them to go abroad but then 'inconsiderate' to leave them on when back home, I don't get it myself o_O
My van is a continental speck van and needs deflectors for UK driving but apparently all vehicles present for test must now have UK head lights
Bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My van is a continental speck van and needs deflectors for UK driving but apparently all vehicles present for test must now have UK head lights
Bill
Mine passed mid april AND the computer robbed me of two weeks of my MOT by not honouring the anniversary date.

Sounds like the numpty who tested your van was not aware of your LHD headlights. If he was then according to Geo they should have passed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ther are many RVs going off the road then.
I would think especially the older ones so wats next if you have a lhd do we have to move the steering wheel.
Bill

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'll fit 'em for foreign travel as soon as foreign vehicles coming over here do!:)

Not seen one yet!

You won't LHD headlights don't dip to the right just up & down, therefore they do not dazzle when in the UK. whereas RHD lights dip to the left & dazzle when driven abroad.

Bill

It shouldn't do as I said above . Take the deflectors off & tell him to pass it.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
T
dont be surprised if your asked to replace them eventually they are clamping down on all aspects
that new rule is intended for vehicles temporarily here
I recently saw in the small print for Motor home insurance

This policy specifically excludes privately imported vehicles
Sneaky or what

Geo

It makes a nonsense really as anyone can just get a LHD headlight fitted Uk registered vehicle tested in another EU country , assuming we are still in, & it will pass & be legally able to be driven in the UK.

The "temporarily here" would normally only apply to the Arabs , who have to get a 'Q' plate to temp.import there runabouts in the summer as the plates have to be of an EU format.
It can't apply to eu citizens as they are legally allowed to have a foreign vehicle in the UK for 6 months before removing it.It would only be 3 months if the UK insisted on registration of EU citizens like other states.

" This policy specifically excludes privately imported vehicles
Sneaky or what "
Just shows what chav scum they actually are !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back