Has anyone replaced a Truma Ultrastore With Malaga 5e Water Heater? (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of swopping a Truma Ultrastore 10 litre water heater with a Propex Malaga 5e.

Was the hole too big in the side of your Moho or in totally the wrong position?

Did our first trip in our motorhome at the weekend and the only disappointment was the water heater. Mrs Jane had a shower and must have caught it towards the end of cycle before the heating element cut in (water temp approx 38 degrees barely warm enough for a shower with 100% hot water and then cold water replaces hot and cools it down even more.)

Having had a Malaga 5 13.5 litre and I never needed the wash on wash off technique the Truma was very disappointing so as we plan to keep van for a while very tempted to replace and not bad value at around £350 new.

I have tested Truma on gas at home and at least you get 68 degree water so you have half a chance but with 35% more storage Malaga seems tempting.

Any thoughts?

Paul

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have tested Truma on gas at home and at least you get 68 degree water so you have half a chance but with 35% more storage Malaga seems tempting.

Any thoughts?

Paul

The next cry could be "we are out of water" or "the waste is full". There is always a knock-on effect to be considered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Agreed, most motorhome tanks are not that big and every plus point normally brings about a corresponding negative so we have to compromise and decide which things are most important.

From what tonyidle has said it would appear it can work as well on mains so worth investigating if it has a separate thermostat for mains as it seems ok on gas and it it shares one thermostat could be the element.

I can live with making up a bed at night rather than having a fixed one but I want to be able to have a shower for three minutes.

Just my preference and will probably try ecocamel head as well

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do a straight swap for the 14 ltr ultrastore -I can get a gas /leccy version for around £375 or a bit less -How long did you leave the ultrastore on leccy ,they take around 45 mins to heat just on leccy 25ish on gas
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
could be the element.l

"Truma" and "element" do crop up around here, but a part working one is unlikely.

I'd never heard of Malaga so had a quick look, says 750W, that's not much to heat a big tank when you consider a kettle is usually 3000W.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Brian I think the Malaga is the one that swaps for the old Carva

Deleted User
Might be easier to swap it for the Ultrastore 14 litre version. £375 at Magnums of Grimsby.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't know the Truma model you are using but I doubt that it will ever work as well on electrics as it does on gas. For example the Trumi Combi 6E in our old van had an electric element with a maximum power of 2KW. The gas burner was capable of providing 6KW. Electrics were OK for maintaining heat once it is hot, but if we wanted a quick heat up we needed gas.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a maximum power of 2KW. .

Truma can't win with this, well not easily. 2kW or 8A is more than many hook-ups. 750W or 3A is a much safer bet. They could offer different heat ratings but we all know how that would confuse the average MHer.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They could offer different heat ratings but we all know how that would confuse the average MHer.
They do for the Combi 6 - 1KW or 2KW from memory.

Interestingly European motorhomes rarely come as standard with the electric version, which is an optional extra for the UK market. I suspect that is because for most European hook ups it would be next to useless, other than as an entertaining way of pissing the whole site off by blowing their electrics.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
another thing to watch is the pressure the truma can take more pressure than the malaga your existing pump could be to high for it

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The Ultrastore only has a 800w leccy heating element so would be OK but takes a long time to warm 14 ltrs up -combined gas and leccy about 20 mins gas about 25 mins -Just back from Magnums and he has a 14 ltr gas only for £325 on his reduced table and gas/leccy for£375 less a bit -The combi 2 kw is heater and hot water around 1375 for the 2 kw version or 1425 ish for the 4 kw version -ish --There is only the Ultrastore that will be a straight swap for the 10 ltr to 14 ltr
terry

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Thank you, so much for advice and best price I had seen truma 14 litre for was about £575.

My wife is happy to use wash on wash off technique and with our one on gas and an ecocamel shower head it will run for a decent time so could get away with it now but tempting to upgrade at that price plus will be a new boiler.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I can get you one(14 ltr gas/leccy) for £375 or a bit less if you go down that route -Just give me a shout
terry

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Initially the issue isn't really the amount of HW stored - it is the low temperature meaning that not much cold is mixed with it. It should heat to 70 degrees and, at least on my Combi, the thermostat doesn't wait for a 35 degree drop before cutting in. The electric and gas thermostats will be separate so it sounds to me as though your electric thermostat has failed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back