LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
For years.. (So I have been told)... this little chappie and about forty of his mates have nested in the old garage and car port...

Now it`s all rebuilt they have come home to know where to nest.. :cry:

I feel rotten...

DSC01545 (600 x 450).jpg

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Our house martins are back and very welcome. True heralds of summer.....your going to have to offer them an alternative!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Stunning photo!
We had swallows nesting in the stables at our last house the year after we had them built; you just need to give them a suitable space & they'll be there with beakfuls of mud, making a right mess, but giving you such pleasure for year after year...
images

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We get Swifts nesting in the gable ends every year, can be a bit messy but well worth watching.
Depending on the construction of your roof Mo they may try nesting under the soffits .

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our swallows usually arrive in mid may to coincide with the midge season. I love having them here (the swallows, not the midge's) to watch them hunting on a warm damp summers evening is a real joy to behold.

Hope your birds find somewhere close to your home Old-Mo, it'd be a shame to lose the ability to see their aerial ballet.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the raptors need their winged snacks too

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Swallows come back to stables every year...I always remember one year going into one of the ponies stables to find a baby swallow sat on the ponies back...he had fallen out of the nest...pony was not at all bothered.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ours arrive mid-May. If you are here the day they arrive it is fantastic to see their joyful celebrations as they fly around and around the yard, after thousands of miles our old yard must look like paradise to them.
What's the flag on your mini MH @Jim ?!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've warned our house sitter about leaving doors and windows open as they love to check out the inside of the house as well as the outside! Love watching them and the mess just takes a few minutes to sweep up each day.

Next door discourage them from nesting by hanging CD's and flapping stuff from their windows - not sure how legal that is.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Next door discourage them from nesting by hanging CD's and flapping stuff from their windows - not sure how legal that is.

Rotten sod`s..... Swallows according to my book are in decline... :crying1:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Rotten sod`s..... Swallows according to my book are in decline... :crying1:

Are you a mind reader Mo? My thoughts exactly. I choose to live out in the sticks and wildlife watching is one of the greatest innocent pleasures that is available for free. I think they are missing out big time but their loss.......

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We get Swifts nesting in the gable ends every year, can be a bit messy but well worth watching.
Depending on the construction of your roof Mo they may try nesting under the soffits .
I think Mo has already got wildlife nesting in his soffits Larry:eek:
Brian & Jo

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
they're such beautiful birds, you're so lucky to have them.. :)
you're going to put some nest boxes up for them aren't you?

an old friend of mine has had them nesting for many years, to save any mess underneath and on the walls, he has a small flat shelf thingy about 12" underneath to catch their droppings, but a small price to pay for hours of pleasure watching and having them around..

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have house martins up north, they were nesting there long before us, make a right mess of the window sills but it doesn't matter. Its a privilege to share space. Been feeding fat balls to the birds in the back yard all winter, we did think today that the Robins looked obese and one of the pheasants is hobbling, maybe it has Gout! We have quite a few bunnies in the garden too since last year, our cat is def getting past it!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
This lot would take up a lot of room under your eves
House Martins.jpg

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Every year the swallows come back to nest in our truck depot around the back of the main building and every year I keep saying I'm gonna poke the nests down before they take hold .then when they arrive and look at me with their little eyes I just can't do it ,:rolleyes: but they are a pain for me cos they keep setting the intruder alarm off which is police monitored :eek:
Brian & Jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back