LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have been told that you have to book your campsite before making a ferry reservation. No wild camping at all :(

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Jersey has two campsites I think, you have to get a pass to let you drive from the port to the campsite. You are not allowed to drive around the island. We were there in a car in August this year and thought how difficult it would be to drive round the island in our motorhome. A small VW size van would be fine get to lots of really nice out the way places.

Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi pat-c
I looked into doing this a while ago, apparently there are 3 campsites that you have to use, no wild camping!
You book firstly with the campsite which they then apply for and sort out a permit for you and the ferry . It was a no go for us as out van is to long for the ferry I can't remember if it had to be shorter than 6 or 7 metres long. Hope this helps.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We visited Jersey in our Volvo S60 and found driving around a bit tight :D We had the same thoughts as Mikey rv.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What would the point be it would be cheaper to get B&B with a hire car that you can drive about with, rather than a very dear metal tent stuck on a site in the middle of no where. Ferry cost will be through the roof for a 7 mtr van.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Things to consider before taking a motorhome to Jersey...

Copied and pasted from gov.je as I can't do the link

Visiting caravans and motorhomes

Visitors wishing to bring a caravan or motorhome to the Island can do so provided:

• the caravan / motorhome stays on a registered campsite

• the relevant permit is sought from the campsite prior to arrival in the Island

• a letter of authority is obtained from the Department of the Environment prior to arrival in the Island

Caravan holidays on the Jersey Tourism website

Are there any other restrictions?

• caravans are restricted to one journey to and one journey from the campsite to the port while in the Island

• caravans must remain on the designated site for the period of the permit

• motorhomes can be driven on the roads, subject to a permit and provided they return to the designated campsite each night (drivers should be aware that many of Jersey's roads are narrow and may have limited access)

• the maximum stay at any Jersey campsite is one month per caravan / motorhome

• the maximum permissible width of a towed caravan, including the towing vehicle, is 2.3m (this includes any fitting on or attached to the vehicle, but excludes mirrors and indicators)

Further information:

There are three campsites in Jersey that can accommodate caravans:

• Rozel Camping Park

• Beuvelande Campsite

• Daisy Cottage Campsite

Visitors should note that Jersey campsites do not have 'drive over' drains for blackwater sewage.

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We go once a year to visit family, we normally stop at Beuvelande Campsite, first class, good toilet small bar and restaurant on site. Just contact them they will arrange ferries and guidence to site. Check their web page.

OP
OP
appydaze

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Hi and thanks for all your replies. We didn't know anything about the channel islands but are now better informed. Looks like we will take our car and hotel, or as we have airport in town we may fly and hire. Thanks again (y)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If might be cheaper to book a package. If cost us €442 from st malo with a 6.5 mtrs van and £161 for the campsite starting 6th September for 1 week.
Wer stayed at daisy campsite, staff are friendly but facilities basic.
They emailed us a permit.
The roads are very narrow, the local buses get down them but it was a bit hairy.
The bus trip cost £2 for a single journey anywhere on the island.
Prices are cheap there but as we went from st malo, perhaps we are comparing french prices.
We went from st malo as we are touring france and it made sense. Very expensive holiday for a week though but at least we can say we've done it.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
We attended a CCC rally and the condor ferry over was such a tight squeeze so much so that we couldn't exit the van through the front doors but had to exit just! By the sliding door. We were there for three weeks and ended up hiring a car for trips out. Stayed at the beuvelande campsite quite nice cafe/bar and outdoor pool. A walk to the bus stop about half a mile down quiet roads.
Jeff

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno about Jersey.. Always wanted to do Guernsey.. My mum and dad honeymooned there and I still have the pics of the Nazi hospital installation somewhere

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Love this forum.. So much info on anything you wish for....

Very excited about our trip in 21 days..

Now.. Anyone know how strict Condor are about gas bottles.. Web site says only 1 and under 5kg but we have a 6kg bottle...

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We love the C.I. & have been there several times with cars, however the Seacat travel costs put us off taking the MH, nearly £400 return with 2 people in May :eek:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Love this forum.. So much info on anything you wish for....

Very excited about our trip in 21 days..

Now.. Anyone know how strict Condor are about gas bottles.. Web site says only 1 and under 5kg but we have a 6kg bottle...

We have found Condor very helpful in the past, just give them a ring with any queries regarding your MH on the Seacat (y)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Used to drive around the island at break neck speeds when competing in the Jersey Rally but wouldn't consider it in a MH, well not at 100mph anyway
Beautiful place and the weather always seems good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back