Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Must get my bum into gear.........

Going to book the MoHome in for an MOT (It`s been on SORN for 6 months)..

Then a full service prior to selling ... :(

Can I be done for taking it to an MOT station without "Road Tax".. ?

I understand you have to go direct to an MOT station providing it`s booked in.... but what about the road tax..

Thanks.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Mike had the same issue with one of the motorbikes the other day, he taxed it to take it, wasn't worth the risk of getting nicked with all those nprv about.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, it can be driven to a pre booked MOT as long as it's within a reasonable distance. It still needs to be insured though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
As long as it is insured, booked in and you are somewhere between where it is kept and the mot station you are ok.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Mike had the same issue with one of the motorbikes the other day, he taxed it to take it, wasn't worth the risk of getting nicked with all those nprv about.

I thought you could not tax a vehicle unless it held an MOT..

That`s why I asked.. (y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
[URL='https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification/overview]']https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification/overview said:
[/URL]
When you can drive your vehicle
You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment. You face court prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500 if you use it on the road for any other reason.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
[QUOTE =https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification/overview]
When you can drive your vehicle
You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment. You face court prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500 if you use it on the road for any other reason.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.............. But what about NO road tax.. ?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

Thanks.............. But what about NO road tax.. ? [/QUOTE]

Sorn=no road tax

If you hadn't sornd it you'd already have been fined

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Can I be done for taking it to an MOT station without "Road Tax".. ?
No, provided you are en route to a pre-booked MOT, on the way back from it having passed or failed, or on the way to a place of repair after a failure. You can't tax it without a MOT, which is why the exemption exists. (NB the legislation doesn't mention 'within a reasonable distance'!) It must be insured.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Why don't you get the van serviced at the same time as getting the MOT done? Kill 2 birds with one stone then.

Denise

That`s what I would like to do........ but no one around here does both..:(

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Must get my bum into gear.........

Going to book the MoHome in for an MOT (It`s been on SORN for 6 months)..

Then a full service prior to selling ... :(

Thanks.

Hi Maurice,
Am I right in supposin' that you're selling in order to buy a new one ???
And that you're not leaving us ????

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You should be aware that the systems are changing and you can not quote old regulations with any certainty with regard to procedure
As an example I taxed an uninsured vehicle last month,
So just maybe tax without an MoT is possible I haven't tried that yet
Under the old system the checks were made visibly by the PO, now under the new on line systems and thanks to NPR systems
your Tax, Insurance and MoT status are checked on a daily basis so no need to confirm anything, or stop you taxing for lack of MoT and or Insurance
all three are separate offences anyway and can and will be dealt with when caught by NPR
To answer Mo's question as others have rightly said You are OK to and from MoT test or point of repair BUT DONT stop for fags or a Paper you will be nicked,ivé seen it done
to customers of mine

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
So just maybe tax without an MoT is possible I haven't tried that yet

I have :D - it's not possible (at least on line) the process stops at the check point.

Under the old system the checks were made visibly by the PO, now under the new on line systems and thanks to NPR systems
your Tax, Insurance and MoT status are checked on a daily basis so no need to confirm anything, or stop you taxing for lack of MoT and or Insurance

You're quite right about NPR stuff. I've often wondered how that works; presumably you get the notice through the post then reply to the effect that you are subject of the exemption, then someone checks against the MOT database to verify your explanation.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@old-mo it might be worth checking with your council. Lots of local authorities service and test their own vehicles as they have such big fleets. Lots of them are open to members of the public.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@old-mo it might be worth checking with your council. Lots of local authorities service and test their own vehicles as they have such big fleets. Lots of them are open to members of the public.
Quite true and may well have the capacity to test large Moho's too.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Maurice,
Am I right in supposin' that you're selling in order to buy a new one ???
And that you're not leaving us ????

Hi.......... sorry for the late reply, just catching up on these threads..

We are not sure what to do at the moment..... Paul`s walking is going down hill fast, as with his speech.... I even struggle to understand what he is saying now..

Ideally we would like to buy a new 2 or possibly 3 berth... and hope we can get a carer to stay over for a few night`s so Judy and I can get away...

Sort of watch this space...

Whatever.... it will be a real wrench..... after about 8 years or so with MoHo-Fun and loads of rally`s and meets, and meeting some of the greatest characters and friends you could ever ask to meet ... :nod: :nod:

Bagwell Rally will be a sad one in some respects for us.... end of an era.... but hopefully a fun filled week and a half for members..:cheers::party2::birthday::beerchug:

We have over 40 years of memory`s and photo`s to look back on.. It all started in 1967 with an old Humber Snipe and a 10ft 4 berth Fisher.... and a fortnight in the New Forest... :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Hi Mo(y)
So sorry to hear about your troubles, they must be weighing heavy on your & Judy's Shoulders. Let's hope that things "pan out", and that you are able to meet up with the Funsters , whether it be for a few days or a week.
The three of you will be sorely missed; but let's hope it doesn't come to that:wub::wub:
Our love to Judy & Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back