RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
My renewal as arrived today and the premium as got up £50.00 !!!
i'm with comfort at the moment
Can anybody recommend a good insurance company,or am i best staying with comfort ??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All you can do is ring round - I've just done this as our Safeguard insurance had gone up by £29 (from £348 to £377). I spent ages doing comparisons, ringing up etc, including Comfort who could've done it for £355, but in the end we stayed with Safeguard who brought their price down to £362 but has the advantage that there is no mileage limit and no number of days away limit either so for the extra £7 it means we don't have to worry if we do more miles than we anticipate. This is especially important since we're hoping to go down to Spain/Portugal in the spring in addition to our 2 x 6 week holidays this year and other bits and bobs too, if I upped the mileage a little bit it made the price go up to more than Safeguard.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
As Minxy suggests phone around.
I have got the same situation coming up this month, we are at the moment with Adrian Flux, but then I will be phoning SAGA, The Camping & Caravan Club and Scenic.
I did the same a couple of months ago when one of my motoring policies came up for renewal and SAGA stuffed all the other quotes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Trouble is - how much do you value your time?
£29 vs spending "ages" ringing around.
There's shopping around & shopping around - I know, I do it every year, hunting the 'best' price but I do question, what is my time worth...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Cannot recommend NFU highly enough

The NFU are brilliant, but as my local office says, we are only one agent and so our prices can't even begin to compete with those who phone around!
I have a close friend who has every single one of his policies with the NFU and they work for him superbly, but even he has to admit, he could save himself upwards of 50% by hunting around, and speaking personally, I don't have the luxury of having money to burn!!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Trouble is - how much do you value your time?
£29 vs spending "ages" ringing around.
There's shopping around & shopping around - I know, I do it every year, hunting the 'best' price but I do question, what is my time worth...
Agree, but if I hadn't rung around I wouldn't have known that the renewal price was a good one anyway ... it might have been a lot less with another insurer - it certainly was when I did the exercise for our main car in February and I saved us £80 for about an hours work overall. (y)

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agree, but if I hadn't rung around I wouldn't have known that the renewal price was a good one anyway ... it might have been a lot less with another insurer - it certainly was when I did the exercise for our main car in February and I saved us £80 for about an hours work overall. (y)
I know - it has to be done, I just resent doing it year after year, insurance after insurance - when you know your existing insurer is 'trying it on' and will immediately better their own renewal quote as soon as you challenge it.
Just once I'd like to be offered the 'best price' without all the chasing - just once.
[/rant off :mad:]

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I know - it has to be done, I just resent doing it year after year, insurance after insurance - when you know your existing insurer is 'trying it on' and will immediately better their own renewal quote as soon as you challenge it.
Just once I'd like to be offered the 'best price' without all the chasing - just once.
[/rant off :mad:]

What gets my goat are companies such as Adrian Flux who send out a renewal quote (that's if you have told them not to automatically renew the policy) and with the new quote is a piece of paper saying words to the effect.............. If you get another quote that is cheaper, then let us know and we will beat that figure.
So why the hell don't they do what they should be doing so as to encourage loyal customers and quote their best possible figure first time around? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

All the best

Phil

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Not got a MH yet but every year on the car insurance when we get our quote we phone and say is that really the best you can do and every year they lower the price saying "as your such loyal customers and we don't want to loose your business"

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Price is clearly important but just make sure the policy suits your needs. Some of the 'cheaper' policies may have restrictions on how long you can keep you pride and joy un atttended etc. Reading the small print is a pain but at least you will know what you are insured for and won't have false expectations.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This little trick is worth a try, and doesn't take too long. Firstly, get onto a comparison website, and get lots of quotes. Locate one that is cheaper than your renewal price, then phone up your current insurer and tell them you have a better price elsewhere.
Every time I have done this, the renewal price has been reduced for me!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The NFU are brilliant, but as my local office says, we are only one agent and so our prices can't even begin to compete with those who phone around!
I have a close friend who has every single one of his policies with the NFU and they work for him superbly, but even he has to admit, he could save himself upwards of 50% by hunting around, and speaking personally, I don't have the luxury of having money to burn!!
Agree NFU are a good company but at twice the price of Comfort it was a no brainer.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm with Caravanguard, tried Safeguard this year but they were £60 dearer, usual rubbish when they can suddenly knock off £45 but still £15 dearer and it's the principal of trying to rip you off to start with that grates with me so I've stuck with Caravanguard

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not bothering as mine only increased £11 with Safeguard from £346 to £357

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Which office are you dealing with? At the end of the day these all go to many of the same underwriters whomever you choose and then the margin gets added in. For example, the Safeguard quote above seems expensive to me but that might be down to postcode, where it is stored etc.

Upvote 0

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I'm with Comfort, have had campervans on and off for many years interspersed with cars (hiring campers in between). I've remained loyal for around 15 years all the same; got a nice no claims bonus running and have just insured my campervan I've just acquired, worked out around £100 cheaper than the car! Wasn't expecting that, but I guess they are a motorhome insurer first and foremost.
Worth mentioning that the sole aim shouldn't just to be getting the cheapest - but rather the best. Look into the policy deeply because in my experience cheaper policies aren't usually so thorough, and make sure the excess isn't......well excessive, and everything that you want is actually covered. Decent European breakdown is essential if you're touring Europe IMO.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My renewal as arrived today and the premium as got up £50.00 !!!
i'm with comfort at the moment
Can anybody recommend a good insurance company,or am i best staying with comfort ??

Call Comfort up and tell them your not pleased with the premium increase and ask for a review..........never know might just be worth while!!!

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I insure ours and our classic car with RH insurance.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I agree, I was looking for a quote last week and NFU nearly £700 £300-£400 most places!!

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have looked recently at insurance and it's very clear that there is no benefit in remaining loyal in fact it is invariably a serious disadvantage; never automatically accept an annual renewal price.......always challenge the cost for any type of insurance. Suggest you feed your details into Confused.com they unlike the other comparison sites have a motorhome specific search, I used it and it has reduced my insurance cost dramatically. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Comfort beat all for us £275 + £60 uk/European breakdown any vehicle size

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun