Deadlocks for the Cab (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have had some deadlocks fitted by Harrison Locks of Worcester yesterday. Pauls son in law John fitted them while we waited and we chatted about France Passion etc. Paul is at the Malvern Show this week then off to France. If anyone has any handy places to stay in the Champagne region I am sure he would appreciate suggestions. (Tell him Colin says Hallo!)

Off to France ourselves next week - feeling more secure now when leaving the Motorhome parked up.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
It's not always the locks, it's the fact they are there if you had the choice which would you go for standard door or one with extra locks fitted. Any one determined enough don't matter what is fitted. apart from that they have not seen the pictures.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Not impressed with those pictures. Two pop rivets and about 6mm of bolt penetration.

Am I missing something ?

Not sure what the point is:Confused:, I unlock the central locking and leave the deadlock locked, and I cant move the doors (and I am 17 stone and consider myself reasonably strong):Smile:. If the theives are going to drill out the pop rivets on show with the door shut, how are they then going to open the door?
I am not that naive that I dont know if someone is determined to break in they will. After all there is blooming great skylight in the roof!

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not sure what the point is:Confused:, I unlock the central locking and leave the deadlock locked, and I cant move the doors (and I am 17 stone and consider myself reasonably strong):Smile:. If the theives are going to drill out the pop rivets on show with the door shut, how are they then going to open the door?
I am not that naive that I dont know if someone is determined to break in they will. After all there is blooming great skylight in the roof!

I agree with you any extra security is good and if they're gonna try to open the door by drilling the rivets I hope you'll have woken up by then:winky:
I always have extra deadbolts fitted and also an alarm with a sleep mode which we always use when wildcamping or on aires.
I was parked next to Paul at Newark earlier this year I think he was in a Coachman Concorde really nice guy and I liked his work.
Still you can't please all the people all the time.:Doh:

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Looks a nice neat job! How much? and do they do habitation doors?

Ian

It cost £270 for the pair fitted, and they do habitation door locks. Paul Harrison is a trade member on here and website is Link Removed
They were recommended elsewhere on this forum.:Smile:

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I agree with you any extra security is good and if they're gonna try to open the door by drilling the rivets I hope you'll have woken up by then:winky:
I always have extra deadbolts fitted and also an alarm with a sleep mode which we always use when wildcamping or on aires.
I was parked next to Paul at Newark earlier this year I think he was in a Coachman Concorde really nice guy and I liked his work.
Still you can't please all the people all the time.:Doh:

Thanks, the locks are only for when we are away from the van. The Swift is 18ft long and when we are on board all the valuables are above us, and I would hope to wake up when an intruder steps on me:Smile:, so I can wake Mrs Colpot who will deal with them accordingly::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those locks look excellent, they serve as a visual deterrent, they can be locked on the inside, so even if windows are popped they are not opening the door.

Don't sleep with key in the lock! I have a large ribbon with velcro attached, so when the doors are locked the key is removed and attached via velcro to an easily reached place that is of course not visible from the outside. This has become a habit so should I need to get out in a hurry I know where the key is. :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would vouch for the quality of work provided by Harrison Locks. We had four fitted to our Hymer a couple of years ago. Abus deadlocks on the habitation and driver's door (two different kinds) and another pattern of deadlock to the two garage doors. All four were set to work from a common key.
The work was done at Paul's home (although I believe he has moved since then) and I agree, he is a really nice guy.

In fact, I am off to Worcester in a week or two to get an additional lock for the house, that will work from the existing key. It's great to find a true craftsman locksmith in this world of 'DIY Sheds'.

Philip

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure what the point is:Confused:,!

With such small penetration and the thin tin modern vehicles are made from I suspect that a jemmy would bend the door and/or the frame enough in a few seconds.

So I'm not impressed.

It might help when you are asleep, some extra noise, so they will go for your next door neighbour instead. That'll please him.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
We have had some deadlocks fitted by Harrison Locks of Worcester yesterday. Pauls son in law John fitted them while we waited and we chatted about France Passion etc. Paul is at the Malvern Show this week then off to France. If anyone has any handy places to stay in the Champagne region I am sure he would appreciate suggestions. (Tell him Colin says Hallo!)

Off to France ourselves next week - feeling more secure now when leaving the Motorhome parked up.

Hi Colin had a great time in France the snail farm was interesting we never tasted them just stayed on the champagne French passion was good, some one told me about a bakery you can stay at near Dunkirk, they got fresh bread and cakes beats snails Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Quote "With such small penetration and the thin tin modern vehicles are made from I suspect that a jemmy would bend the door and/or the frame enough in a few seconds" end quote

Its true you know, Ive seen the fire service do it in just under a minuet:RollEyes: but then the sirens and flashing lights would wake you up:Doh:

Come on Brian show us your versions of a bike trailor and deadlock system:thumb:
We could all learn something:winky:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
when I bought the new van in 2007 Paul fitted heosafe internal dead locks to our cab, plus dead locks to camper habitation door and 2 on the garage door. I also had armour plates fitted over the Ford keylock to avoid the most common and normal attack method e.g. a hammer and screwdriver....

with a decent alarm that can be armed while you sleep thats about all you can resonably do I fink:Sad:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Proper deadlocks........no fumbling with keys and a secret emergency release incase of battery failure.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Proper deadlocks........no fumbling with keys and a secret emergency release incase of battery failure.

That looks a proper job, but the ridiculous thing is that the manufacturers locking mechanisms are just as strong. They are designed to hold the door secure in a serious accident. What is wrong is just the manufacturers keys. Some clever soul should come along with an unpickable key mechanism to replace the original.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That looks a proper job, but the ridiculous thing is that the manufacturers locking mechanisms are just as strong. They are designed to hold the door secure in a serious accident. What is wrong is just the manufacturers keys. Some clever soul should come along with an unpickable key mechanism to replace the original.

on the sevell vans its not the locks at fault Brian.....its the bacofoil doorskins.

you can nearly cut around the locks with a sharp penknife.

a screwdriver pushed onto the skin beside the lock and shoved sideways will split the metal holding the lock barrel.
simply a matter then of twisting the whole barrel and pop!!!! the doors open.

my first van, a CI Carrioca on a fiat base, had been forced this way and split the skin, after removing the barrel i pushed/pulled the skin back into shape with finger pressure only until the split re-aligned finishing off with a pair of pliers.

they wont use heavier gauge steel as it costs and weighs more and its all about cost cutting these days.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , i remember being in peniche in portugal a few years ago at a surf competion , all the hired corsa,s had been broken into . someone had pierced the doors just below the handle with a spike ,then lifted the locks . the cars were stripped of everything. nearly all british . all hired from the airports. it was amazing how many got done and nobody saw anything in daylight. so simple .

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I dont mind them, I did hear that you dont have to wash all the time but requires a lot of work, me? I'd rather wash my hair in the morning and go plus a trip to the barbers every month or so

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
on the sevell vans its not the locks at fault Brian.....its the bacofoil doorskins.

you can nearly cut around the locks with a sharp penknife.

a screwdriver pushed onto the skin beside the lock and shoved sideways will split the metal holding the lock barrel.
simply a matter then of twisting the whole barrel and pop!!!! the doors open.

my first van, a CI Carrioca on a fiat base, had been forced this way and split the skin, after removing the barrel i pushed/pulled the skin back into shape with finger pressure only until the split re-aligned finishing off with a pair of pliers.

they wont use heavier gauge steel as it costs and weighs more and its all about cost cutting these days.

I am constantly surprised by the number of motorhome owners particularly Fiat owners, who don't fit armourplates over the cab locks...they prevent the method described above.....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am constantly surprised by the number of motorhome owners particularly Fiat owners, who don't fit armourplates over the cab locks...they prevent the method described above.....

I've never even heard of them.

Bit like this then:
Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont mind them, I did hear that you dont have to wash all the time but requires a lot of work, me? I'd rather wash my hair in the morning and go plus a trip to the barbers every month or so

i must be getting tired Slick,

took ages to figure out what the hell you were talking about....nice one :thumb:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've never even heard of them.

Bit like this then:
Link Removed

Thats it Brian...Not the greatest looking extra to a motorhome but my cab is silver so they don't look to bad. commercial vans have these and other heavy duty unattractive deterrents, probably a condition of insurance.

The fact is most vans can be opened in seconds with a screwdriver either pushed directly into the lock or around the edge through the thin panel work. the new Fiat is better but early ones were laughable....can you see a trend here with Fiats?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the new Fiat is better but early ones were laughable....can you see a trend here with Fiats?

On the other hand Fiat were quick with chipped keys. Which doesn't help you inside of course but maybe (??) not so easy to drive off.

Now who is going to post "Oh you can start a Fiat with a bluetooth earpiece and a 10p coin".

I'm not too bothered if they steal it, I can cope, but I'd rather not come face to face with some Albanian bandit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back