Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
My work takes me all over the Westcountry, I'm based in Taunton but travel to Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and beyond, and on my travels too and from work I pass huge amounts of motorhomes and now the summer is coming I can't help but feel envious of you retired folk, particularly when I read these threads and blogs about your 3 month long travels. We are both in our late forties and have the usual holiday entitlement from work which is never enough, but best get used to it because we've got another 20 years of this rubbish :(
On the other hand I salute you old buggers who are living the dream, long may it continue....and keep off the roads during peak times for all our sakes :D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Don't wait until you retire; you'll miss out on too many enjoyable things if you wait. Get a camper or MH now and make the most of long weekends etc.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Retired person down in your area end of next week, Langport, Taunton and Tiverton.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Retired person down in your area end of next week, Langport, Taunton and Tiverton.(y)

Strangely enough we're heading your way in June for 2 weeks, love Scotland.
Have you visited this neck of the woods before?

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Retire as early as you can,,,,,,,no pockets in a shroud,,Surprising how little you can manage on when you have to,,,BUSBY,,,

I love the theory of that, whether I could take the plunge though I don't know

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Yes, we come down once a year in the motorhome to visit FIL who lives in Sampford Peverill. We always stay at Thorneylakes and The Minnows. This year we're visiting Vanbitz.
Enjoy you visit up here, we are going to try and squeeze trip further north in June as well.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
On the other hand I salute you old buggers who are living the dream
Dont you believe it!! Stay young and working!! (y) It's crap being old, when first thing in the morning, you look in the mirror, and it faints, then you glance at the wife, and you faint. Even your dog hides when out with you and another dog appears. :( Fellow motorists look at you with scorn, because your now driving an OLDsmobile, traffic lights see you and go red, policemen pat you on the head, and offer you a sweetie, dentists always see a large profit looming when you open your mouth, and receptionists at Specsavers guide you to the waiting and dying area of the shop.
The only people who EVER smile your way are either undertakers, or interflora ladies, and financial advisers order a new car when you enter their offices.......:cry::cry::cry:
No, old is cold, not bold. Invest in plastic surgery and Botox, and have any bits that stick out now treated with Robin Starch, before they slink down South for ever..........:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Some of us aren't that old ha ha! We gave up the rat race at 40 & 47 respectively, admittedly we have worked up to 4 months a year on campsites for 4 of the 7 years since. We were also lucky enough to have the money to buy our first van. Not having any children helped make the decision to take a year out easier and finding out how much less you can live on once you've taken the plunge helped up make the decision to sell our house and full time.

If you can afford to take the plunge, do it - you never know what's around the corner.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, we come down once a year in the motorhome to visit FIL who lives in Sampford Peverill. We always stay at Thorneylakes and The Minnows. This year we're visiting Vanbitz.
Enjoy you visit up here, we are going to try and squeeze trip further north in June as well.

Thank you, fingers crossed but the weather is getting warmer here so hopefully you'll see some sunshine
By the look of your profile pic your golden lab enjoys the same lifestyle as our 2 black ones

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Some of us aren't that old ha ha! We gave up the rat race at 40 & 47 respectively, admittedly we have worked up to 4 months a year on campsites for 4 of the 7 years since. We were also lucky enough to have the money to buy our first van. Not having any children helped make the decision to take a year out easier and finding out how much less you can live on once you've taken the plunge helped up make the decision to sell our house and full time.

If you can afford to take the plunge, do it - you never know what's around the corner.

That's very true and I admire anyone who sees outside of the rat race, at the moment though we'll just enjoy our time in the motorhome when we can use it and hopefully meet some of you folk along the way

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Thank you, fingers crossed but the weather is getting warmer here so hopefully you'll see some sunshine
By the look of your profile pic your golden lab enjoys the same lifestyle as our 2 black ones

Thanks Dave, bit of warmth would be nice, usually do this trip in Semptember and have always been lucky.
Unfortunately the lab in photo went to rainbow bridge a few months ago but our other one also enjoys similar lifestyle.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Dont you believe it!! Stay young and working!! (y) It's crap being old, when first thing in the morning, you look in the mirror, and it faints, then you glance at the wife, and you faint. Even your dog hides when out with you and another dog appears. :( Fellow motorists look at you with scorn, because your now driving an OLDsmobile, traffic lights see you and go red, policemen pat you on the head, and offer you a sweetie, dentists always see a large profit looming when you open your mouth, and receptionists at Specsavers guide you to the waiting and dying area of the shop.
The only people who EVER smile your way are either undertakers, or interflora ladies, and financial advisers order a new car when you enter their offices.......:cry::cry::cry:
No, old is cold, not bold. Invest in plastic surgery and Botox, and have any bits that stick out now treated with Robin Starch, before they slink down South for ever..........:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Cheered me up no end Dave.........(y)..........:(:(:(

;)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

We were told by friends that when we bought our motorhome we were now officially 'old', I thought the saying was 'you're as old as you feel' and by the sounds of it you should check your insurance policies :LOL:
Hope you're keeping well mate

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
...and farting seems to be so easy, random and carefree at our age(y)

Well, not for me Vic. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: It used to be SHEER pleasure seeping one out in the supermarket queue, then looking round at everyone with a disgusted look on your face, of waking the garden gnomes with a bottom rendition of The 1812 Overture, (complete with cannon effect), whilst out walking, or dropping one in a church, just as the organ reached the crescendo of 'Jerusalem', or eating egg, cabbage, beans and broccoli before going to the pictures. Sadly, all that is now beyond me, my once busy bugle lies unused and desolate, replaced, I'm afraid, by a monstrosity known as 'Humphrey', who lives under my shirt................:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Such is life.......

THE FARTING CONTEST
by
E. Bumwinkle.

I'll tell you a story that is sure to please,
Of a great farting contest at Burton-on-Tees
Where all the best ar**s paraded the field,
To compete in a contest for various shields.

Some tighten their a**(s and fart up the scale,
To compete for a cup and a gallon of ale.
While others whose ar**s are biggest and strongest,
Compete in the section for loudest and longest.

Now this years event had drawn quite a large crowd,
And the betting was even on Mrs. MacLeod.
For it had appeared in the evening edition,
That this lady's a**e was in perfect condition.

Now, old Mrs. Jones had a perfect backside,
Half a forest of hairs with a wart on each side.
And she fancied her chances of winning with ease,
Having trained on a diet of cabbage and peas.

The Vicar arrived and ascended the stand,
And thus he addressed this remarkable band.
"The contest is on as is shown in the bills,
We've precluded the use of injections and pills."

Mrs. Bindle arrived amid roars of applause,
And promptly proceeded to pull off her drawers,
For though she'd no chance in the farting display,
She'd the prettiest bottom you'd see this day.

Now, young Mrs. Pothole was backed for a place,
Though she'd often been placed in the deepest disgrace
By dropping a fart that had beaten the organ,
And the poor Vicar, old Jonathon Morgan.

The ladies lined up at the signal to start,
And winning the toss, Mrs. Jones took first fart
The people around stood in silence and wonder,
While her wireless announced gale warnings and thunder.

Now, Mrs. MacLeod reckoned nothing of this,
She'd had some weak tea and was all wind and p***.
So she took up her place and her a**e opened wide,
But unluckily s**t... and was disqualified.

Then young Mrs. Pothole was called to the front,
And started by doing a wonderful stunt.
She took a deep breath and clenching her hands,
She blew the whole roof off the popular stands.

That left Mrs. Bindle, who shyly appeared,
And smiled at the clergy who lustily cheered.
And though it was reckoned her chances were small,
She let out a winner, outfarting them all.

With hands on her hips, she stood farting alone,
And the crowd stood amazed at the sweetness of tone.
And the clergy agreed without hindrance or pause,
And said, 'First, Mrs. Bindle... now pull up your drawers!'

But with muscles well tensed and legs full apart,
She started a final and glorious fart.
Beginning with 'Chopin' and ending with 'Wing'
She went right up the scale to 'God Save the King'.

She went to the rostrum with maidenly gait,
And took from the panel, a set of gold plate.
Then she turned to the Vicar with sweetness sublime
And smilingly said, 'Come up and see me some time!'

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
My work takes me all over the Westcountry, I'm based in Taunton but travel to Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and beyond, and on my travels too and from work I pass huge amounts of motorhomes and now the summer is coming I can't help but feel envious of you retired folk, particularly when I read these threads and blogs about your 3 month long travels. We are both in our late forties and have the usual holiday entitlement from work which is never enough, but best get used to it because we've got another 20 years of this rubbish :(
On the other hand I salute you old buggers who are living the dream, long may it continue....and keep off the roads during peak times for all our sakes :D

I can't believe I wasted all those years working!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Well, not for me Vic. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: It used to be SHEER pleasure seeping one out in the supermarket queue, then looking round at everyone with a disgusted look on your face, of waking the garden gnomes with a bottom rendition of The 1812 Overture, (complete with cannon effect), whilst out walking, or dropping one in a church, just as the organ reached the crescendo of 'Jerusalem', or eating egg, cabbage, beans and broccoli before going to the pictures. Sadly, all that is now beyond me, my once busy bugle lies unused and desolate, replaced, I'm afraid, by a monstrosity known as 'Humphrey', who lives under my shirt................:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Such is life.......

The cruelty of old age, the pleasures that we once enjoyed are one by one taken away...........

apart from a sense of humour!..................

... thank you Dave(y)(y)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
@Tootles not met you yet, but methinks we have the same sense of humour - look forward to meeting you at Bagwell, now we've just sneaked on!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Tootles not met you yet, but methinks we have the same sense of humour - look forward to meeting you at Bagwell, now we've just sneaked on!
The pleasure will be all yours..........:):):):):):);) I am, (in truth), looking forwards to meeting up with everyone again, especially those who I have managed, (somehow), to insult and upset, and have my stupid head kicked in.....(again). :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back