Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
I am not able to recommend anyone in your area but i always get my MOTs done at the local council MOT centre/garage
They do all the local council trucks etc and i think it,s the only place where you are not going to get ripped off
As i have been in the past useing private MOT centres
Hope this helps
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Have to agree with chrisboyo, I use a local comercial vehicle tester as the only do Mot's.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Wheres best place to get one done. In northwest preston/wigan area

As has been noted, the local council depot is probably best ,your nearest is at Bamber Bridge at the rear of Sainsburys/ Matalan.
Hope this helps.
BTW I took mine to Townsends at Warton, had to have 4 tyres fited- they sell tyres! 2 other mot-ers said they would have passed the tyres, but when I saw them afterwards they were knackered!
Dave:thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
mot

hi ,i must agree with some of the things said here,and also strongly disagree with other parts of the posts.I run a usualy very busy mot testing station, i prefer not to do any repairs at all.but will do minor repairs to get your motor through the test if asked and we have got the manpower to hand .we do not do £30 mot tests bacause we do not need to and we only fail motors on things that need to fail and not because we want the repair work.and it realy annoys me when prople say that all private garages will rip you off ,i have never ,and will never rip my customers off, thats perhaps why i have been in buisiness for 32.5 years and intend to remain so for a long while yet :Angry: i know where you are coming from with your comments,if you want my advise avoid cheap mot tests as you can not earn much of a living doing cheap mot tests alone which sugests to me if the garage has to resort to such discounts they have got to make it up with the profit from the repairs .but please do not tar all of us hard working private garage owners with the same brush ,sorry about the rant ,but it annoys me that some rouges get the whole trade a bad name .oh by the way i am not trying to get your mot,because i am in leicestershire .good luck.steve. www.shautos.co.uk.:thumb:

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Thanks bamber bridge is only 10 mins from me so will give them a call. I wasnt' sure if any MOT centre would do or do they need to be a specalist in MH's. Any idea what i should be paying its my first one.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi dont know about where you live but in Blackpool the local ambulance station do MOT,S my son inlaw swears by them, but I have not needed them my self yet. Pete:thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
motor homes are class 4 ,the same as cars and any class 4 testing station can test them if they can phisicly fit them in there building and on there kit the cost of a class 4 test is £54 .hope this helps . steve.:thumb:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Not sure if they still do it, or did it everywhere, but our local ambulance headquarters use to do them. Again, totally impartial as they didn't do repair work.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Buyer
I agree with your comments
I also run my own business, on an ethical basis, treating customers as i would wish to be treated
It is a shame that there are those that dont give a damm seek to gain as much as possable from every customer
A classic case was 2 years ago when i had an mot at nationwide auto centers
They told me that the windscreen wipers and front brake pads were u/s, which was interesting as i had replaced them 2 weeks previously
There are genuine businesses out there such as the chap that does my servicing
If you find one, stick to them!
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Buyer, one thing, my mot'er (he does about 10 vehicles a year connected to me, and I know him well)

well he mot'd my Chevy, and although it would fit in the building, but he told me his licence was limited to 4000kgs.. (as it happens, so was his ramp)

I took everything out of van and it weighed in at 4000 or thereabouts..

so I guess my question is, does the MOT'r have a weight restriction? I have no reason to doubt he does, just curious really.

John

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Mot

Wheres best place to get one done. In northwest preston/wigan area
Log on to Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more He had an article in the September blog re MOT may be of help. I have used the council centre once and had very good service. They have the ramps and height clearence for buses and bin lorries etc so MH no problem Plus they are not a business wanting to rip you off:thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
mot

hi john ,re your question about weight. class 4 status for motorhome mot testing is not governed by weight or size,just wether it will fit into the building and onto the kit ,that does include the weight limits of the kit.almost all class 4 stations have ramps rated at 3.5 tonnes so that is the limit for most stations.my ramp is rated at 5600kgs and the brake tester at 8000kgs axle load .so i can test up to 5500kgs for motorhomes ,but only 3500kgs for class 7 goods vehicles.because above this weight goods vehicles require a plateing certificate,but for some reason known only to vosa motorhomes only need an mot . hope this bit of useless information may be of interest .steve.:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi dont know about where you live but in Blackpool the local ambulance station do MOT,S my son inlaw swears by them, but I have not needed them my self yet. Pete:thumb:

Yupp The ambulance station on Waterloo Road always do our big vans but you need to book em in a couple of weeks in advance as they are really busy and really understaffed :Doh:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Steve , many thanks .. think he was saying he was licenced for 4000kg, when what he may have meant was his ramp couldn't take anymore..

either way, you wont believe how relieved I was to get the van down to 4030 with everything removed,,!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back