Processional caterpillars in UK (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Edit: should be processionary caterpillars

These nasty creatures have reached London and the Home Counties.

They inhabit oak trees and will be descending and visible on the ground during May.

You and especially your dog can get a very bad reaction if you come into contact with the hairs so watch your pooches carefully and keep your eyes peeled.

The forestry commission is treating affected trees.

Karen

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They do look 'cute' and that's part of the problem especially for kids who want to stroke them. I do hope they managed to eradicate them.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In France they live in pine trees, so not sure if this is same species / they've adapted ? They're still vile though. If you look up in trees and see white / off white puffballs --- they're the catetpillars.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Not the same species but equally nasty. See:

Broken Link Removed

Thanks for the warning.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My God, fancy finding one of those on your lawn first thing!! :Eeek::Eeek:

cat4.jpg

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
My God, fancy finding one of those on your lawn first thing!! :Eeek::Eeek:

You'd have a line of up to 30 of them, nose to tail :LOL:

If they're like their Spanish cousins, they can't see, this is why they form processions I think.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
IMAG0471.jpg

These cheeky beggars took my welcome to include them!! This was in benicassim in April, we had a couple of pine trees on our pitch and a fair few caterpillars. Luckily Dolly the cat seemed to act like a pointer when she saw them and we got the hairspray on the caterpillars before cremating them. Can be pretty drastic if your pet gets into contact with them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 104362

These cheeky beggars took my welcome to include them!! This was in benicassim in April, we had a couple of pine trees on our pitch and a fair few caterpillars. Luckily Dolly the cat seemed to act like a pointer when she saw them and we got the hairspray on the caterpillars before cremating them. Can be pretty drastic if your pet gets into contact with them.
... I know they're hairy but I think making their 'hair' look good by and putting hairspray on them is a bit OTT. :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
... I know they're hairy but I think making their 'hair' look good by and putting hairspray on them is a bit OTT. :D
I think their day job is an undertaker though.

After using hair spray to make them look good they proceeded to cremate them.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Job?? What is this word? (n)

We were told the hairspray traps the hairs which the caterpillars throw out when threatened. Presumably with cans of sunsilk...........

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
It will also, if you do a good enough job coating them in hairspray, suffocate them as they breathe through pairs of tiny openings along the side of their body.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
It will also, if you do a good enough job coating them in hairspray, suffocate them as they breathe through pairs of tiny openings along the side of their body.
Have you seen the price of hairspray???;)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
New dogs don't come cheap either...
Yes, forgive me, was just being flippant. I do know they are a serious threat so maybe it was in bad taste on my part.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Yes, forgive me, was just being flippant. I do know they are a serious threat so maybe it was in bad taste on my part.

Ditto ! I'm not a dog owner but, the first time I encountered processionary caterpillars ( trod on a procession, in the dark, in Portugal) ID read so much about them that I went into a complete panic and almost destroyed my shoes I washed a scrubbed them so much. If I had a dog, or small child , and was somewhere they were a threat I think I'd even carry hairspray with me ( Tesco Everyday cheapo natch).

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I don't even use it on my hair. It could come in handy - if it got in your eyes for example, so I keep a can beside my bed in the van. Just in case the "cat erpillar burglars come calling"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back