Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have read that some folks pre-drill the hard-standings for their pegs prior to setting up awnings/windbreaks etc. Any recommendations for the best drill type for this?

Cheers,

Steve

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Broken Link Removed

This should do the job. Caravan Club wardens just love em!!

Might have a few issues with the A frame though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I can't imagine that any site wardens or owners would be very happy with anyone they caught doing that :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I really don't understand why anyone would want to put an awning or windbreak on a hard standing. Either put the van on the edge of the hardstanding and put the awning on the grass or have a grass pitch where you can peg out whatever you like.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
A DeWalt 18 volt cordless drill is virtually bulletproof & instead of digging etc, just buy the threaded pegs which are readily available. These pegs work like a bolt & you simply use the drill to drive them home. The benefit is that these pegs are that you can also use the drill in reverse to remove them when you need to! I've used them for years & even in the middle of the winter the pegs hold firm.

Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
How much do you want to spend ? ,I would go for a makita drill 3 or 4 amp/hour battery one with charger . If you go for this you can always add a torch or hand held Hoover at a later date that works of the same battery .

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a Hilka drill driver for our peggy peg things. Don't think it cost much and works well enough

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Another vote for 18v Makita I used them all the time in my previous life as a tradesman very reliable powerful and as stated batteries can be used in other accessories

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Aye Makita takes the biscuit
image-jpeg.101024

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Dewalt, have always used them and find they are built to last, to be honest though if you're just going to use it for fixing pegs I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, screwfix quite often have end of line deals on, always worth looking there first

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Or ................ find a battery drill that's cheap because the battery has died (any car boot sale) and connect the two battery connectors in the handle to a length of cable with a cig lighter plug on the end. Drill original battery voltage doesn't matter because it will never be heavily loaded and you will have a battery drill whose battery never goes down. I used one for years as a tugger for lowering the corner steadies. It went with the van & is probably still in use somewhere.

On a serious note any battery drill other than one using LiPo batteries tends to die within two years as the batteries expire whether its used or not - hence the large number available for pennies at car boot sales.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Or ................ find a battery drill that's cheap because the battery has died (any car boot sale) and connect the two battery connectors in the handle to a length of cable with a cig lighter plug on the end. Drill original battery voltage doesn't matter because it will never be heavily loaded and you will have a battery drill whose battery never goes down. I used one for years as a tugger for lowering the corner steadies. It went with the van & is probably still in use somewhere.

On a serious note any battery drill other than one using LiPo batteries tends to die within two years as the batteries expire whether its used or not - hence the large number available for pennies at car boot sales.

That's why I never buy from eBay, got caught out with a nail gun and a cordless trim saw, batteries buggered on the saw and nail gun not working. It's also another reason I stick with dewalt, I've had 10 year old drills that the batteries will still hold a charge and I use a cordless a lot every day, brushless drills with li-on batteries are the way forward but they can come at a premium cost

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

You been in my tool locker ? !!!
That is exactly what I did about 6 years ago. Nowadays I have a DeWalt 18v but that old drill I modified is still going strong.
I just used a cigar lighter plug on the end of it so it can be plugged in just about anywhere there is a vehicle :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You been in my tool locker ? !!!
That is exactly what I did about 6 years ago. Nowadays I have a DeWalt 18v but that old drill I modified is still going strong.
I just used a cigar lighter plug on the end of it so it can be plugged in just about anywhere there is a vehicle :)
That wasn't you on a m/c driving on the A38 near Plymouth this afternoon was it? The registration was N 978 JAW. I'm not sure if I have remembered (probably havent) the numbers bit correctly but the letters certainly read JAW. :)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
A DeWalt 18 volt cordless drill is virtually bulletproof ..........
I echo that. I dropped mine in the river, and it was in there 24 hours before it could be retrieved. I took the cover off the battery, rinsed it and the drill in fresh clean water, and left the drill and battery in the sun all day. It hasn't missed a beat since. Having said that, I would still like a Makita!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
That wasn't you on a m/c driving on the A38 near Plymouth this afternoon was it? The registration was N 978 JAW. I'm not sure if I have remembered (probably havent) the numbers bit correctly but the letters certainly read JAW. :)