For anyone still having trouble updating Garmin Camper maps (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mindful of the fact that Garmin Support are (I assume) closed for the holiday weekend, I thought I would post how I managed the map update.

In Garmin Express if you click View Details in the Map Update Available panel it opens up a page with another link Installation Options. Clicking that allows you to select installation on Device Only, Computer and Device or Computer Only.
Select Computer Only then Install.
First of all it is much faster and secondly it also installs the Basecamp program.
Connect the 760 device to your computer and open the Basecamp program (if no desktop/start menu icon is created, open the .exe file in the Garmin/Basecamp folder within Program Files.
Click Maps in the menu bar then Install Maps.
Follow the instructions to find your device then follow the map install instructions.

It worked for me though Express still insists there is a map update available.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Is there any way of knowing if you have the latest maps on the Sat Nav ? ie a version number which might be displayed on somewhere on the Sat Nav ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What is the point of a satnav you can't use without a Pc, why the hell don't they work out of the box like they used to, had loads around twenty years ago , used to be lent them by the electrical firm I worked for to try out, never had to do anything with PCs.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
What is the point of a satnav you can't use without a Pc, why the hell don't they work out of the box like they used to, had loads around twenty years ago , used to be lent them by the electrical firm I worked for to try out, never had to do anything with PCs.
The maps will be way out of date, from manufacture to retail shelf is a long time in terms of map updates.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The maps will be way out of date, from manufacture to retail shelf is a long time in terms of map updates.
Yes but people are saying they don't work at all till you've messed with them even if they are out of date, how is it Google maps is never out of date on tablets and phones,that's what I use now, just been round France with a Chinese phablet and Google maps without a hitch and that's free not the best part of 200 quid

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's probably because in those days downloading maps over the Internet was impractical because of line speeds so any updates had to be bought on memory cards or performed by a company - similar to the way in which large Windows updates were issued on CD.
Yes but people are saying they don't work at all till you've messed with them even if they are out of date, how is it Google maps is never out of date on tablets and phones,that's what I use now, just been round France with a Chinese phablet and Google maps without a hitch and that's free not the best part of 200 quid
Modern sat navs will work out of the box but the normal procedure (all makes) is to attach them to a PC to download the latest updates, just the same way as with software updates when one buys a new computer, phone or tablet.
Google maps on Android devices do become out of date unless updates are downloaded when they become available (perhaps not noticed if set for automatic updates).
As with all tools it's a matter of personal choice. Some people prefer specific tools for specific jobs and some prefer general purpose tools.
Personally I've tried several free sat nav tools on Android devices and found them, for my purposes, to be nowhere near as easy to use as sand alone sat nav devices. I've found Google Maps on the phone OK for walking round the streets of an unfamiliar town but wouldn't like to use it for navigation whilst driving. I use a truck sat nav in the van because car models have taken us down some awkward roads which the truck software avoids.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I will have to get back to this thread at a later date, whenever I have tried to update the maps the first thing they require is £70-ish.

Should perhaps have bought the lifetime update when purchasing :whistle:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will have to get back to this thread at a later date, whenever I have tried to update the maps the first thing they require is £70-ish.

The first TomTom I had didn't have lifetime map updates. At the time they weren't available. Ever since I've always made sure that they are included when purchasing. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is there any way of knowing if you have the latest maps on the Sat Nav ? ie a version number which might be displayed on somewhere on the Sat Nav ?

Yes..by either looking on Garmin express, on base camp program ( open "maps" on top tool bar - will show whats installed)

or on device: settings - map & vehicle - scroll down to Mymaps - will see what version is installed here :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Pointless shelling out for single map update when you can get a garmin with life time mapping for under £100

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
[QUOTE="GJH, post: . I use a truck sat nav in the van because car models have taken us down some awkward roads which the truck software avoids.[/QUOTE]

Which truck sat nav do you recommend GJH?

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[QUOTE="GJH, post: . I use a truck sat nav in the van because car models have taken us down some awkward roads which the truck software avoids.

Which truck sat nav do you recommend GJH?[/QUOTE]
We've had the Garmin Camper 760 for about a year and like it but nothing is perfect so I'm currently evaluating a TomTom Pro Truck 5150 and a Mio Combo 5207 against it.

The TomTom Pro Truck 5150 is no longer available new - I was given it by TomTom in exchange for a Trucker 5000 that I bought and found to be useless (long story). I wouldn't recommend any of the TomTom NAV4 range (see complaints on TomTom forum).

The Mio seems to be pretty good so far and can be had on eBay at good prices from time to time but I've only just started the evaluation so I would go for a Garmin at the moment (some Aldi stores still have the Camper 660 at £199.99).

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
We do have a Garmin but keep getting routed down small roads.
It's is a Nuvi.
We want to get a second for a back up and second opinion
Should we get a Garmin camper do you think!
Thought we should get a different make?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks
It's is a Nuvi.
Not wishing to tread on anyone's toes by replying to your question which I think really is directed at GJH but, you should be aware that a sat nav dedicated as a camper/ truck version will still take you on narrow unsuitable roads even though you may have told it your vehicle dimensions correctly. The avoidance can only kick in if the mapping software knows the dimensions of all the roads your are likely to encounter on your route. In many cases the road sizes are not on the map so whatever size you are wont matter. The dedicated camper/truck sat nav can only use the mapping information available which may be lacking.

I have found that using a standard sat nav gives good results provided the route it suggests is checked first, and if there is any doubt checked against a decent map.

The Garmin will give you two or sometimes three suggested routes so you can choose whichever suits you but overall the sat nav must be used as a suggestive device and not followed slavishly. If you don't like the look of a route or suggested turn don't take it. The sat nav will quickly work out another route, also be aware that sat naves can sometimes suggest what turn out to be shortcuts which may not always be suitable roads.

All in all I wouldn't be without mine, it makes touring much more pleasurable that using a map and can provide masses of other information in addition to guiding your route.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
2017.10 on my Garmin Drivelux since about two weeks ago.
Just back from Wales and checked again. I'd forgotten I updated the maps a month ago. 2017.10 is what I have on mine as well :)
Thanks
It's is a Nuvi.
I have a Nuvi for the car and the Camper for the van. Ian is perfectly correct about road data (and, especially, use of a sat nav as a suggestive device) in his post from Tuesday (only just seen it) but from personal experience the routing is still better using the Camper than the Nuvi for large vehicles.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have a Nuvi for the car and the Camper for the van.
I also have both Garmins and did a little experiment a while ago by plotting the same short route on both.
The shortest and most direct route would take you under a low bridge which is the route the Nuvi took......perfectly OK for a car.
The Camper version took a longer route avoiding the bridge which would have decapitated the MoHo.
There was no warning about the bridge on the Camper version it just plotted the better route without any involvement from me.

Richard.

Reactions: GJH
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Anyone had a problem with the Garmin loosing satellites after the latest update?

Trying to get to grips with the fact that it keeps dropping sat signal and the speed keeps varying by 5-10 kph when on cruise control.

Just had the windscreen replaced with one of these reflective ones( not my choice) so it's a toss up between reflective screen or bug in update!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Anyone had a problem with the Garmin loosing satellites after the latest update?

Trying to get to grips with the fact that it keeps dropping sat signal and the speed keeps varying by 5-10 kph when on cruise control.

Just had the windscreen replaced with one of these reflective ones( not my choice) so it's a toss up between reflective screen or bug in update!

I think its probably reflective screen. There is something in the manual about screens but I haven't got mine wth me and I am away, suggest you look it up.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I think it may be the screen as well. Try it stuck to the side window for a short trip and see how you get on. If it is the screen I fear your options are limited but you can get an external antenna for some garmin devices.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've found that the Garmin is very 'twitchy' about signal strength from the satellite.
Sometimes when driving through a forest wth tall trees or through a deep valley in the mountains it will lose contact with satellites.
An external receiver should sort out the problem but unfortunately it will mean a dip into the wallet.

Richard.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We drove from Tees-side to north Wales on 28 April and back last Saturday and no problems with the Garmin (which has the latest update). It is mounted on a tub fitted into the cup holder as shown in the four photos Here, so some distance from the windscreen.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We are on the aisle du Re, just of the coast of La Rochelle. The sat nav keeps dropping signal. Contacted auto glass who say yes it is the coating on the reflective screen and they will replace under warranty when we get back to UK.

In the meantime we had a white van man take out our passenger side wing mirror €360 for a new one and will be Wednesday before they get the part then who knows when they will fit it.

Red Pennant have been very good sourcing everything and keeping in touch with us as to progress. Just as well we have stayed on our campaign site.

Not sure whether it is worth claiming on insurance, but had the dash cam on so see if we can get the number plate of the white Van when we get home.

Sel a vie!

Thanks for everyone's help

Cheers

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back