Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have a Solar panel on the roof it is very old and past its sell by date. I am going to remove it and was thinking, if I have 2 110 amp batteries, do I really need to replace the Solar. I have LED interior lights and would watch the 15 inch TV for a couple of hours a night, I am only without EHU on the odd night as I like to have hookup if possible.

I know that lots of people do want/have Solar but, is it just a......Oh I must have one because everybody else has, or are they really necessary.

Any advice would be most welcome.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I want one to maintain the life of my batteries. I only want it to recharge and maintain the batteries over time as I have to park away from my house and I worry that over weeks the batteries will lose condition (especially if they were not fully charged when I parked)

I know I can do 2 nights off grid with my batteries as they are and if I am going to be away longer I will be on sites anyway (as we have no onboard shower)

For the cost of them, I can't justify it just to maintain battery health - the replacement batteries is cheaper..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I would say you don't NEED one, but we have no solar & are going to get it because it broadens our horizons as to where we can go off EHU & therefore make more use of the MH

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would ask why you think it's past it's sell by date ???
Even if it give 1/2 of what it used to then my logic says rather than take if off, just leave it there..
Invest in 2 new batteries and you win all around..

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Even if it give 1/2 of what it used to then my logic says rather than take if off, just leave it there..
I agree just give it a good clean and leave it on there you will get some change from it.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Good question, the reason is that it was on the motorhome when I got it, I suspect it had been on the roof for some years but, it is far from the best installation and has been bugging me, put with that, is seems to have rundown/destroyed one battery that was on vehicle and 2 new separate batteries in the last 2 years ( I only have one leisure battery at the moment). I have a Snipe2 to place on the roof, so I thought ( if 2 batteries will do the job) buy 2 new batteries and place the Snipe in the place of the Solar.......if I don't really need it.

Of course, if I really need the Solar, I will buy a new one and fit Snipe in another place.

I am having a little trouble getting onto forum, I have internet probes at the moment, but thank you all for your replies and I will check as I can.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you think your battery failure is linked to the solar it is most likely to be the solar regulator that is causing problems. With good bright sun you should be getting between 16 - 21 volts out of the panel into the regulator depending on the battery state of charge, output from the regulator should be 14.3 -14.7v while charging depending on regulator and type of battery it is set for. Better regulators then reduce the output to 13.2-13.8v once batteries are charged some of the cheap regulators stay at the higher voltage this can damage batteries but normally not a problem as the batteries get a rest from charging when the sun goes down.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Thank you for your replies. I will try to test the solar and see what the output is. From your posts I have concluded that it could be the regulator, so I shall buy a new one (any suggestions :) ) and see what happens.

I was told by a company that fits Solar on MH's that if one part of the panel doesn't work then the panel is nackered, which made me think that I should take it off, but listening to you guys, perhaps it's worth a new regulator.

Thanks again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Also make sure there is no shade over part of the panel. This will drastically reduce the output in almost all panels.

Measuring the output voltage from the panel may not be easy if you have what is sometimes called a shunt controller as this effectively connects the panel across the battery terminals so you will only see the battery voltage of perhaps 13 or 14 volts.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A solar panel is supposed to loss around 20% efficiency over a 20 year period.
Unless your van is over 20 years old and the panel was fitted when new theres nothing wrong with the panel.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
If you hook up when poss like you say you do, and move regularly you don't NEED one. But if it's there, leave it be. We rely on solar, but have only had ehu once since october (included in site).
Full time on the road.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd be surprised if its shot if it's producing an output so test it first - if it's okay just tidy up the existing installation that bugs you. :)

If you want to see how you get on without it, just disconnect it so it can't charge the battries (make sure its safe) and that way if you find you DO need it you can just connect it all back up again. (y)

If you are really desperate for roof space and knew for a fact that you'd never need the panel, that would be a different matter, but I don't think that's the case for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back