So it now looks like out Ireland trip is back on !!! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A couple of false starts ( due in main to massive increases in ferry costs which has been somewhat resolved ) it looks like the Irish trip is back on !

I found this site listing LPG and over night quiet spots

http://www.motorhomewild.co.uk/calendar

But in all honesty it is not a lot of good unless I PLAN a route as there does not seem to be any way to download all the info.. and as we have never been to Ireland it is pointless making too much of a plan as we have no idea where we will be going..

Does anyone know of a book, a download, an app or what ever that has similar info that will not need internet access all the time to make the most of ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I did a write up some info on our trip for Mel @Minxy Girl a few years ago I'll see if I can find it or Mel might be more organised than me.
We never had a problem finding a place to stop for the night, water easily obtainable most harbours and piers had water taps, best to fill up in the evening when fishermen have gone, garages nearly always let you fill up & plenty of public loos for dumping. Biggest problem was disposing of rubbish, Lidl car parks usually had a big bin.

Ferry prices are nothing compared to food & restaurant prices, I remember going into a Fish & Chip shop looked at the prices and walked out.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we went to Ireland we actually found it cheaper to eat out than to buy food in, which seems ridiculous. There were 4 adults and 1 child (I ate the child's portion and he had an adult portion, LOL).

We bought breakfast for the 5 of us from the local shop and it cost a fortune and after that we tended to eat in pubs for all our meals.

Ireland's a lovely place but the driving can be a bit iffy at times!

Denise

PS Joe said the worst pint of Guinness he had while we were over there was at the brewery!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You will love it....not cheap mind!:)

But the food quality marvelous and why the empire nearly starvedthe populace to death.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A couple of false starts ( due in main to massive increases in ferry costs

Sure if I was going there I wouldn't start from here.

Once went on the bike, ended up with a seriously rusty groin area. It's not the Emerald Isle for nothing, be prepared.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Brilliant info Lenny. greatly appreciated mate

Ferry now booked and starting to put an itinerary

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We're also thinking of going June 8th for maybe 3weeks if weather o/k,hoping to find reasonable ferry rates.Who did you use last year @Theonlysue ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If not already done John.. knowing you, you probably have done already...

but ....Camperconatct lists 99 motorhome stops in Ireland..

download the pois for the sat nav.. free

the phone app costs £4.50 well worth it, and you can download the maps and use off -line

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If not already done John.. knowing you, you probably have done already...

but ....Camperconatct lists 99 motorhome stops in Ireland..

download the pois for the sat nav.. free

the phone app costs £4.50 well worth it, and you can download the maps and use off -line

Nice one Jim.. I looked at safenights but that can actually work out expensive..
Canna find the POI download though ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Mr Ed
Going end of June till beginning Sept.
Booked Liverpool to Belfast with cabin, senna, 105 each way.
Can also change online for no extra cost.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ours was £280 return :-(
And the Liverpool to Belfast route was close to £400 !
One of the disadvantages of having a big van :-(

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We went last June John did the whole of the wild Atlantic way free camped the whole time lots of toilets and water, as said disposing of rubbish is the challenge. :LOL:

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/explore-the-route/#53.495417|-10.183533|7

Had a great time County Clare could have been missed unless you like tractors.
;) :D Bob.

Wow ! Another great site ! Cheers Bob..
Have now had to add another two must visit places as a couple of the lads on the Bird site have invited us to pop in for a meal and a wee dram or three.
One in Limerick and the other just north of the border near Mo's sister :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Great for fishing over there and the people are friendly, honest and straight talking....:eek:

Guinness is fab and potatoes with everything ....(y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like the potatoes but Guinness ! Nahhhhh Now the whiskey on the other hand ..............

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Had a great time County Clare could have been missed unless you like tractors.
.... or Irish traditional music. Doonbeg, Milltown Malbay & Doolin are all worth a visit for the music, but then so is nearly any pub in County Clare.

Doonbeg has a funster run campsite - strandcampingdoonbeg.com Jamie Hunter, but I have forgotten his forum username.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I started this I was struggling to find places to visit.. How wrong can one person be LOL !!! Keep 'em coming folks.. Its all darned good !!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When we went a few years ago we joined Safenights, only stayed at one place it was like a CL owner charged the same members or not, so easy to find somewere to stop as we foud out.
Don't do too much planning as once you are off the main EU funded arterial roads they can be slow boneshakers, a 100 miles in a day is totally knackering. Also when you drive or walk into villages everyone waves and says hello and often like a chat, progress can be very slow part of the enjoyment of Ireland.

Get used to taking a sharp breath and closing your eyes, I remember going down one road with door mirrors brushing the hedge on both sides (two way road).:)

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
.... or Irish traditional music. Doonbeg, Milltown Malbay & Doolin are all worth a visit for the music, but then so is nearly any pub in County Clare.

Doonbeg has a funster run campsite - strandcampingdoonbeg.com Jamie Hunter, but I have forgotten his forum username.
My user name is jimiol.
I don't get on this forum very much now as I working and based in Ireland. But a funster has turned up on the campsite today so it got me thinking I haven't updated any info for a while.

I will start a thread in a minute on Ireland which may or maynot be useful to people thinking of coming here.
Regards Jamie, Strandcampingdoonbeg

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
I am the funster who arrived today and must say this is a gem of a campsite. Wonderful welcome, excellent facilities, and so peaceful. No, Jamie & Amanda have not bribed us in any way, just wanted to pass on our thoughts for those planning a visit to beautiful, friendly Ireland.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hook lighthouse & view from the top (our old van centre of pic, quiet night there).

P1030526.jpg

P1030528.jpg

Ardmore cemetery

P1030535.jpg

Beara Peninsula our morning view.

P1030586.jpg

Dursey Island cable car a hanging beach hut, sometimes have to share with sheep as we did.

P1030591.jpg

Puffins & Kittyhawks on Skellig islands.

P1030669.jpg

P1030680.jpg

P1030677.jpg

Killkeny

P1030962.jpg

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
A couple of false starts ( due in main to massive increases in ferry costs which has been somewhat resolved ) it looks like the Irish trip is back on !

I found this site listing LPG and over night quiet spots

http://www.motorhomewild.co.uk/calendar

But in all honesty it is not a lot of good unless I PLAN a route as there does not seem to be any way to download all the info.. and as we have never been to Ireland it is pointless making too much of a plan as we have no idea where we will be going..

Does anyone know of a book, a download, an app or what ever that has similar info that will not need internet access all the time to make the most of ?
The problem with maps is that they soon become out of date. I've just looked at the map link and for my area it is wrong. If you are wild camping in Ireland go to the place that has the most up to date information MH Craic.
If I was planning a tour in the uk I wouldn't ask MH Craic members for their wilding spots because the information would be limited I would ask MH Fun members as I would get more information.
On another of my posts I said safe nights was about £10 apparently it is more to join than that. Never used it myself but I have heard of businesses being listed that didn't know they were listed something not quite right about that in my opinion.
Regards Jamie

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tell you want @jimiol .. I just spent 15 minutes trying to register on that forum you suggested..
I will think long and hard before I bother again mate.. Life is too short. !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back