LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
After a battle with Capitol Outdoors, I finally got my money back on a faulty snooper system so went and bought a Garmin 760 from Amazon (No quibble returns policy). Now the question, my one doesn't show any bridge heights at all, when a route is set or in free roam. I have a low bridge not far from me and the routing avoids it when I deliberately try to route through it but when in free roam it does not warn me. So does the Garmin 760 show bridge heights as standard and if so what do I need to enable in the settings menu for it to work?

?

Deleted User
I use iGO and some features dont work unless i am using it live or simulate a route. If you have tried both then no idea.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have set routes and when in free roam with no bridge heights showing. I updated the sat nav through Garmin express and have set the correct vehicle parameters etc. The sat nav does avoid low bridges when you input a route in that even though the route is a direct one it will steer you around the low bridge, My concern is that I rarely set a route and just run the sat nav in free roam mode as we wander a lot in that I may wander onto a low bridge with restricted u turn access.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have set routes and when in free roam with no bridge heights showing. I updated the sat nav through Garmin express and have set the correct vehicle parameters etc. The sat nav does avoid low bridges when you input a route in that even though the route is a direct one it will steer you around the low bridge, My concern is that I rarely set a route and just run the sat nav in free roam mode as we wander a lot in that I may wander onto a low bridge with restricted u turn access.

Surley in that case.... Roadside Signage... Prevails!??.. :)

The brain rules... (y)

?

Deleted User
Surley in that case.... Roadside Signage... Prevails!??.. :)

The brain rules... (y)

Thats half the trouble. People rely on them to much. I have been known to zone out myself and stop looking at signs. Thankfully never got lost or ended up in a field.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Maybe I misunderstood. Do you have the sat nav ... but not to use for routes? You just use it as a ... screen with a map on it?
I'm sorry if I got that wrong but if I didn't set a route in my Garmin 760 then I wouldn't expect it to tell me anything to be honest.
I'm sure that if you don't set routes it won't warn you (why would it) ... and if you do set routes it won't warn you either. It just avoids them.
Seems a bit pointless having a sat nav not to use it as a sat nav and then point out that it doesn't guide you.

Actualy I sometimes leave mine on map only ... purely so I can see my speed and go as quick as possible.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
OK we are getting away from what I am actually asking in my original question. On the snooper it displayed the bridge heights, a little red triangle with the height inside it on the road it applied to. The Garmin I bought does not show this and that is what I would like to know, does anyone who owns and uses a Garmin 760 have the bridge heights displayed on their sat nav?

As for setting routes or brain prevails I only set them to find somewhere in particular as lots of years of diving an artic around the UK has given me a very good knowledge of what road to take in the first place more so with a 55ft vehicle running at just under 16ft rather than my MoHo which is only 23ft at 10.5ft height. The reason for paying a premium for these sat navs is that if there is a diversion or we wander I can zoom out and see if there is a low bridge on the new route without having to stop and get the truckers atlas out, not all single track roads have low bridges sign posted in plenty of time to avoid them or reroute, trust me it is not a lot of fun reversing an artic along a single track road for 3 -5 miles to get turned around, just don't want to be doing that in my MoHo as it belongs to me which means I care about it. JMTW ;)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
My 760 doesn't show bridge heights but it will route you round them so you may never know they are there.
It would help if it did show the height as you might them realise why it seems to be taking on a funny route.

Richard.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My 760 tried to take me on an underpass in Rouen last year with a height of 2.5 metres. We are just over 3 metres tall. Luckily, I don't take any notice of people giving me directions because I know it all! Apparently......

?

Deleted User
You got display signposts turned on? (Presuming you can turn them on and off)

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
That's the one and it works a treat. So far heights, widths and weight restrictions are spot on, well worth the price to me for the accurate information.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back