Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Looking to buy a geni to run electric drill, 4" angle grinder, soldiering iron, etc and to charge my leisure battery in my camper.
Drills etc all appear to be 800watts ish so why do I feel I need a 2 kW generator?
I assume the 1kw are quieter ?
Thanks for the advice as always in advance.......

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Iv got a Honda 2.0i Generator for my tyre warmers.Its one of the quietest available.
Iv only used it once while away in the motorhome as can be annoying!
download (1).jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I've got the Honda 1.0 which does everything I need it to for topping up camper batteries on the few odd occasions it has been necessary. I've yet to find a way however, of stopping the fuel smell even though it is triple bagged and in a box.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Looking to buy a geni to run electric drill, 4" angle grinder, soldiering iron, etc and to charge my leisure battery in my camper.
Drills etc all appear to be 800watts ish so why do I feel I need a 2 kW generator?
You don't! Carried all that sort of stuff around with me for years, never ever used it, took the lot out the van, had an all singing/dancing inboard 2kva geni, used to cost me more to service than getting a mr fixit. Nowadays though the 12v stuff is so good I'd spent the money on solar panels, they'll keep your batteries topped up as well!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

In reality you dont,
You will be running at the top end of your output though with a 1kw
If you anticipate longish use cycles as opposed to say a 5 min bursts go for the 2kw otherwise a 1 kw will do

I've got the Honda 1.0 which does everything I need it to for topping up camper batteries on the few odd occasions it has been necessary. I've yet to find a way however, of stopping the fuel smell even though it is triple bagged and in a box.
I would suggest starting with a new cap and seal or fuel tap I have a 1kw Honda with no fuel smells at all, I do use the filler cap vent as it should be used though some folk miss that. ie closed for traveling

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Lidl are doing a 1200W inverter generator for £130 this week, our son bought one for use with his trailer, it's a four-stroke with load sensing and speed control.

Not bad for the money.

Generators are for those situations and locations where you need the power and sod the noise!

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back