Chinese double din media unit (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Just bought one of these

It has built in DVB-t but the supplied Aerial is a tiddly little jobbie the sort of thing you get on a WiFi router and I think the socket is SMA. The question is if I get a SMA to F type adapter to connect the current roof aerial will it be a problem?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
so will u be able to understand the chinese tv programs? (someone had to ask)
when u say the current roof aerial do u mean the one in the back of the current radio or the tv aerial assuming u have one. Former might be OK for radio but unlikely to be giving u good tv reception. Later is worth a try.
i get a surprisingly good picture on my computer using a usb dongle receiver with a very similar aerial to the one shown.
someone will be along who can help you out with a technical explanation.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Berni,

I want to use the status TV aerial on the roof, the little supplied one may work but I have my doubts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a free view dongle no reception from the aerial that came with it, I made an adaptor and it works fine on the house aerial.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Blimey - does it do hot chocolate as well as tea and coffee?

I wouldn't get over optimistic about what the Status aerial will deliver signal-wise, but no harm trying. It ought to be better than a wi-fi, although it's possible to extend a wi-fi aerial with a cable if it's the detachable type. I did that to boost reception on upstairs computers in our house.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Needn't to have worried, been away the weekend before the adapter arrived so I thought I would try the tiddly aerial that came with it, hung it over the wing mirror set the unit to search and bingo it picked up all the freeview channels no problem at all, it just goes to show.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Well there you go.
But don't expect the same reception everywhere.
My reception is good in a lot of areas but c**p in a few

John Hindmarsh

Free Member
Feb 8, 2017
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Diabalo, just wondering if your xtrons head unit was still going strong as I'm thinking of changing the 12ELE2000 one in my Autotrail Tracker for one of the new Xtrons This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code. ones but have heard mixed opinions about the Chinese head units!

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi John,

Well pleased with it and no problems at all so far, just a little niggle is that you can't or I haven't found out how to turn the head unit screen off while watching the monitor, I just cover it over with a magazine.

John Hindmarsh

Free Member
Feb 8, 2017
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Dane, thanks for the feedback. I hadn't realised that the head unit screen could be turned off when watching TV on the monitor on the standard fit unit until I saw a post about it today so have been doing the same as you!

I haven't pulled the existing unit out yet to have a look at the wiring but hoping that the ISO leads supplied with the Xtrons one will plug straight in to the existing leads. Was yours a straightforward swap? (other than the TV aerial needing an adapter)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Slightly more dosh but good feedback and has its own forums with quick reply's from the maker
Google
Pumkin / Android / Amazon circa £280 ish
with Android you can swap and add apps and to suite you
Beauty is with Amazon you can fire it straight back if you dont like it
Here @ £249 may have to add TV dongle not read through it
But take a look at Pumpkin worth a look for sure

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
John,

The wiring was straight forward, I think I had to earth 1 wire down to the case to make sure the rear view camera worked while the engine was running. I had to buy an adapter for the TV aerial just a couple of quid of E-bay and a different surround bezel.

John Hindmarsh

Free Member
Feb 8, 2017
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the info both. I'll have a look at the Pumpkin ones. Might pull the unit out at the weekend to check what the tangle of wiring looks like! Will probably have a few more questions when I take the plunge

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Slightly more dosh but good feedback and has its own forums with quick reply's from the maker
Google
Pumkin / Android / Amazon circa £280 ish
with Android you can swap and add apps and to suite you
Beauty is with Amazon you can fire it straight back if you dont like it
Here @ £249 may have to add TV dongle not read through it
But take a look at Pumpkin worth a look for sure
I've had a very similar Pumpkin unit for the last 18months, can't fault it tbh.
Stereo amplifier isn't as good as the Alpine it replaced, wiring loom is huge, which means it takes a while to fit.
Internal memory is only 8gb, so you need a micro sd card for storing apps, maps and so on.
The installed truck navigation is great (Igo primo), Camper Contact works fine, as does Spotify, it's just like using a quality tablet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back