Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I know this might sound a little naive, but is it ok to haggle with a MH dealer if we see one we like on the forecourt?
Quite often we see one or two that are just out of our alloted budget, and Im dying to say ..'would you drop the price by 4 thou? but have chickened out.
Whats the best way of approaching it without embarrassing ones self:Blush:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
don't be embarassed its your money. Offer them 8k less then settle for your 4k

lunarman

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't be shy ... just make an offer .. :thumb:

they can only say no, then walk away laughing :roflmto:

Cash isn't an incentive.. a dealer can make more profit with finance , so offering it in readies may be a disincentive to give a discount .. unless it's a dodgy dealer

I'm sure Peter will be along to tell you the trade secrets ..:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
would think that this time of year is as good as any to haggle, unless you're after a really popular model the dealer will have £000s sat on his forecourt over winter months.

as lunarman sez, don't start with your final position, leave some room for manoeuvre, since this gives the impression of giving him some say in the deal
could even start by asking him what price he would accept.
I recently bought a uke [don't ask - not for me I'm tone deaf] it was the last one - off display only marks were a few fingerprints - no case - asked for a discount because - - - - thinking 10 - 15% - they offered 25% - my gast was so flabbered I just nodded :ROFLMAO:

good luck

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Look them in the eye and make the offer. BUT build a rapport first, spend a bit of time with the salesperson, get to know each other a little, not too friendly but be nice. Then just come out with it. Say "This is the motorhome I want, but I can only go to £x, If I spend any more than that my Mrs will kill me, What can you do to help? - You might be surprised at the outcome. And what have you lost if he say No? Nothing. One thing is for sure, if you do not ask you won't get:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cash isn't an incentive.. a dealer can make more profit with finance , so offering it in readies may be a disincentive to give a discount .. unless it's a dodgy dealer
I'm sure Peter will be along to tell you the trade secrets ..:winky:

There are no trade secrets Jim!

It all depends on what margin is in the vehicle and whether one is fed up with looking at it!

It also depends on what after sales service is offered and expected, that comes out of profit and it there is no profit left, some dealers will tend to say 'on your bike'

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know this might sound a little naive, but is it ok to haggle with a MH dealer if we see one we like on the forecourt?

I did a magnificent job - best British Haggle - and I got 6 months tax and an MOT :Sad:

We Brits aren't built for it.

I'll tell you a story, he says, waving his hands.**
I was just getting into this haggling in Morocco, well it's obligatory, we were in this shop buying presents, a dress for daughter and I thought I was doing well, UNTIL, looking at wife expecting her to say NO, instead I got "Oh look how well made it is, it's worth that". Had she kicked me in a delicate place she could not have injured me more.

Go on, go for it. They NEED your money, say what you have said here, "I can spend £XXXX right now, any chance of you moving on that one ?" Keep a bit back on £XXXX because they are bound to try and increase this.

Good hunting. Well, you're dressed for it.

** Who can name that man !

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I did a magnificent job - best British Haggle - and I got 6 months tax and an MOT :Sad:
We Brits aren't built for it.
!

Oh dear Brian,

We give Road Tax and a new 12 month MOT on most vans PLUS a five years FREE habitation service voucher !:thumb:

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh dear Brian,
We give Road Tax and a new 12 month MOT on most vans PLUS a five years FREE habitation service voucher !:thumb:
Peter

Yes damn you, then you go and hide yourself away nearly 300 miles from here.

Even now I know you ( I didn't then ) I regret that 300 miles is not on. Sure I'd get top quality honest service but driving 300 miles at today's diesel prices makes it unworkable.

Now Birmingham, that's central, move there and Funsters would be flocking from all points of the compass and you can moor your little boat on the canal.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now Birmingham, that's central, move there and Funsters would be flocking from all points of the compass and you can moor your little boat on the canal.

Hi Brian,

Been said many times before that we should open up a branch in the Midlands but I have not got the odd £2million or so to spare:cry:

Apart from that the boats in Poole and I prefer the view:shout:

Peter

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
HI

I haggle for everything that I buy. I even ask for money off even if I'm buying a pair of shoes, to my wifes embarrassment. I got £4,750 off of my van and alloy wheels X6 as well thrown in. After care has been superb as well so cant fault it.

steve

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are becoming better at buying, dont be embarresed about spending your hard earned cash the profit may not be in a deal, but there is always somthing a dealer can do!! but they will not offer it. you must ask i am a salesperson there are people that ask and if it means getting the sale it has to be done, but there por many people that dont ask and this means getting paid more.
when buying my motorhome i asked for a deal got the manager involved and managed to get 4 bike rack paid and fitted by them plus 3k of screen price and a few other things but the moral is if you dont ask you will not get and if salesperson says he cant threaten to walk away from deal or ask to speak to the manager he has targets to hit it does help.

hope this helps

Carl

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp

I'm with Brian on that one - I just got an MOT and 12m tax - but then again I figured the dealer was offerring a good price and HE know it so would not move on the price by a penny, despite it is the end of the season (only bought mine 2 weeks ago).

The thing is the misus is Scottish (in the true sense), so believe you me she tried to haggle on the price but to no avail. It may be obvious to say, but if it looks like a good deal, then it is that much easier to buy without haggling and you create more goodwill should things go wrong (I got a new £500 clutch for mine with not quibles by the dealer)

Best of luck:thumb:

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I always haggle for everything. With the Motorhome I managed to get included, Fiamma bike rack,Fiamma Sun awning,6 mths tax,12 mths Mot,Status Aerial and Reg no transfer fee. They wouldn't budge on the warranty so I had to buy that:Eeek:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When i bought the 656 in06, I offered 2200 less than the asking price for cash, or 4000 less if they wanted me to have finance. They choose cash - reputable dealer in Peterborough. If they had opted for the finance deal then I would have paid it off in full the next week.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
You've always gotta have a go at haggling. The worst they can say is no. My wife doesn't like it when I haggle at the time, but is more than happy when we've saved money:thumb:

Our M/H already had a reasonable screen price (couldn't match it within 100miles radius approx). Still eventually got £2000 off this, plus new MOT, service, cam belt, and then just before signing got a started pack including gas bottle, chemicals, cleaners etc!::bigsmile::thumb:
I even got them to fit extra power points in more convienient locations, and move the position of the drivers seat runners (I'm tall so even with the seat back as far as it would go I didn't fit!!)

The aftersales service has still been second to none, having taken the MH back for a few things. What really impressed me was that the sales info stated there was a TV aerial. Once we went away I realised there was no TV aerial. They said "No problem" and fitted a brand new digital one (a mid-range from what I could make out from their shop):thumb:

All this means that we WILL be buying our next MH from there.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Everyone seems to be ignoring your little quiz so I'll have a go. Is it Max Bygraves?

Phil

::bigsmile:

Ask the quizmaster for your tickets to Chernobyl. Go well prepared I hear it's quite hot there.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Thanks everyone!:thumb: I shall give it a go
Errpaul if I cant get a discount Im taking you with! bring mrs Errpaul too:Smile:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks everyone!:thumb: I shall give it a go
Errpaul if I cant get a discount Im taking you with! bring mrs Errpaul too:Smile:

:Smile:
You can but try. And as other people say try to build a rapport with the sales person before getting to the serious stuff. Having been in sales (not MH) before I can say that from my experience this will help you no end:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back