Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Hi All, :Smile:

We'd like some help with choosing what sort of puppy we should get. The only pet we've ever had is a goldfish so this is completely new to us. We're looking for a small/medium size dog that is excellent with children (daughters will be 5 & 7), easy to transport around and sheds little hair. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also when is the right time to introduce a puppy to motorhoming how old should they be?

Oh and nearly forgot we've a reasonable sized garden, live near plenty of walks/open space and I'll be at home for majority of the time.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Labrador...Golden, Black, Chocolate...in that order.

Why? Dunno, But that's my dog of choice. Oh, and get a bitch..

hth

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
A westie small not scared of anything good companion good character and very lovable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Google: Help me choose a dog .. lots of good advice ..

Everyone has a personal preference, we chose a Jack Russel .. and absolutely no regrets..

Link Removed

jim

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A westie small not scared of anything good companion good character and very lovable

Never met a Westie yet which doesn,t want to kill everything within biting distance, bad tempered little Jock,s , and the dogs are the same. ::bigsmile:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
dogs

we got a border terrier best dog ever had always had large dogs this is the most loving and what characters they are ours is no prob at all loves coming away in motorhome good with our granchildren and any one elses children wreally friendlt with other dogs :Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hi
If you all like walking get a German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP) they are the most biddable breed and adore children

They never need clipping and shed vertually no hair.

The working dog people will tell you that a GSP is half trained when it is born and most other breeds are only half trained when they expire

Seriously they are ever so easy to train they are just born to please

Yes choose a bitch -- a dog is a dog all its life a bitch is only a bitch twice a year.

You can take it MHing a soon as you get it at eight weeks old but ideally it should have all its inoculations before it goes where other dogs have been.

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
I have a golden retriever and they are lovely dogs but they lose hair constantly. If you want a dog that doesn't shed hair then they are not for you! Have had border collies and alsatians in the past and they are loyal dogs but again need plenty of grooming.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We like Poodles quite unlike any other dog. Three sizes Toy, Miniature, and Standard, take your pick. Don't moult as they have wool not fur just need clipping, you don't have to go for the show cuts if they put you off, they do me.
Miniature and Standard will walk all day no problem, Toys are so small no problem to stick under your arm, they prefer it this way.
We have 2 they have always travelled with us love it in fact are always trying to get in motorhome even if being taken out in car.
In fact they are now breeding other dogs with poodles to help out with moulting and allergy problems, with fur.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Best dog for a motorhome

My suggestion is a Tibetan Terrier, about the size of a spaniel, does not moult, non aggressive but very alert and will bark a warning if anyone is about but will not bark for the sake of barking. Travels well, not big enough to get in the way but big enough to be taken for long walks. Very fast on their feet and love jumping and agility. Never grow old and sleepy always got time for a game and a play even when old. Never trust strangers, cannot be won over by strangers with even the most tempting morsels so unlikely to be tempted away. Once introduced to people will size them up and when ready will approach them themselves but this can take quite a while as they trust no one but their owners and children and take their role in life as a companion very seriously.
They have a very interesting history, check on the web, if you get one you will probably never want any other kind of dog. They have not been 'messed about with' by questionable breeding tactics.
They are energetic and will exercise as much as you want or be content to have little or no exercise apart from a run around in your garden.
Also they don't leave 'doggy' smells around unless they have rolled in something nasty, so being in a fairly confined space does not cause you to have to keep spraying air freshener to get rid of the doggy smell.
They are also very beautiful to look at, without looking soppy.
They love other dogs to play with and if bought up properly will never be confrontational with anyone, dog or human as if they bark at someone its usually over their shoulders as they run away!
They enjoy training classes and perform very well at obedience and agility as they are very intelligent but they do have 'attitude' in a nice and funny way.
Have had many dogs over the years and our Tibetan Terriers are the funniest, friendliest, best behaved, most affectionate and playful dogs we have ever met.
Prices range from around £450.00 for a pedigree, non Kennel Club registered to well over £1000.00. Breeders are usually very careful over who they sell to and very protective of the breed which you will understand if you read up on their history.
Hope this information is helpful or at least interesting.

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have you considered a rescue dog, maybe of mixed breed, there are often a good selection of younger dogs looking for a loving home.

Our girl was from a local rescue centre and was about 3 or 4 months when we got her, although she had lived mainly outside, she only had one "accident" in the house when we first brought her home and after that would only "go" when we took her out. She is very clean and extremely bright, (too intelligent for her own good sometimes!!) she is very loyal, playful and loves motorhoming.

They do say that mixed breeds are hardier and less prone to illness often caused by close interbreeding also certain mixes of breeds create super intelligent dogs.

Plus think of all the unwanted puppies out there!

Just a thought.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A miniature schnauzer ticks all the boxes for us, we have had two. Some good advice above though, a bitch is easier than a dog. We find the dog we have now is ultra-protective of us, the house, and especially the van, makes a lot of noise when he thinks anyone is threatening us.

Rgds
Bill

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
picardy_shepherd_id65c.jpg

greenasthegrass

Free Member
Oct 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am biased towards Dachshunds - they are cute and cuddle have two longhaired which shed very little had one shaved though as she gets all knotted and fluffy due to being spayed so now have a smoothie - she wears a coat as she gets chilly aw bless and definitely have the aw factor. Easy to carry the miniature ones and everyones friend - its not the dogs its the owners usually we have a problem with! They can walk for miles and eat anything but like any dog have to watch their diet.

Greenie

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

We'd like some help with choosing what sort of puppy we should get. We're looking for a small/medium size dog that is excellent with children (daughters will be 5 & 7),
Labrador......don't even think of any other.

Soon as you mentioned 'excellent with children' that became the key point. Labradors are absolutely brilliant with young children. Totally soft and a very very gentle nature.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Dogs

Labrador......don't even think of any other.

Soon as you mentioned 'excellent with children' that became the key point. Labradors are absolutely brilliant with young children. Totally soft and a very very gentle nature.

My son has just bought a Lab for the family pet Webster (9 months) is so full of mischief and brilliant with the boys Remember a dog selects YOU not the other way around!! good luck:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

We'd like some help with choosing what sort of puppy we should get. The only pet we've ever had is a goldfish so this is completely new to us. We're looking for a small/medium size dog that is excellent with children (daughters will be 5 & 7), easy to transport around and sheds little hair. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also when is the right time to introduce a puppy to motorhoming how old should they be?

Oh and nearly forgot we've a reasonable sized garden, live near plenty of walks/open space and I'll be at home for majority of the time.

Hi Claire & Mat +kids hope you are well.

A Newfoundland like our Tara is out the question then :ROFLMAO: Alhtough of course they have to be the best breed ever with kids,

Here is some suggestions for you. Im on my first dog ever but have absoloutly gone into it lock stock and barrel. Im in to agility training with Tara as well as spending long hours training.
so- Labradoor, nice puppys, loyal and fairly decent with kids unless you get a bad tempered onem can shed hair!!

I have been walking with a minature Jack russel today, very cute and dont shed much hair and great fun with kids, unless you get a grumpy one.

The breed though I would recomend is a long nose nose germanlong haired pointer- or wirehaired pointer

Interim

General Appearance
Medium sized, noble and elegant, powerfully built with overall impression of an energetic, well balanced dog.

Characteristics
Dual purpose Pointer/Retriever, very keen nose, determined hunter and game-finder; equally good on land and in water.

Temperament
Calm, even tempered. Alert, biddable and very loyal.

Head and Skull
Aristocratic appearance, muzzle and skull of equal length. Top of head slightly rounded; medium width nasal bone, showing slight arch in profile and rising gently to forehead with no pronounced stop. The foreface should be of proportionate length to the skull, fairly broad and deep without being coarse, well chiselled below the eyes. Flews fairly deep, but not pendulous or exaggerated. Jaws strong. Nose brown, but slightly flecked markings permissible. Head hair considerably shorter than body.

Eyes
Brown, as dark as possible, of medium size slightly oval shaped, neither deep set nor protruding. Tight eyelids, no visible haw.

Ears
Broad and set close to and quite high on head. Turning slightly forward and leathers reaching to a point half way between corner of mouth and nose. Turning out on the bottom edge; well feathered on the outside with longer hair. Slightly wavy feathering should reach beyond tip of nose. Lower half of inside of leathers covered in hair. Ear leathers twice as long as broad.

Mouth
Jaws strong, with perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws. Full, strong dentition desirable.

Neck
Moderate length, muscular and slightly arched, without dewlap; joining the shoulders and chest smoothly.

Forequarters
Shoulders sloping and muscular with top of shoulder blades close; upper arm long. Elbows set close to body, turning neither outwards nor inwards. Forelegs straight and well feathered, sufficiently muscular and strong but not coarse-boned. Pasterns slightly sloping.

Body
Well developed sternum, visible when viewed from side. Broad, deep ribcage, reaching at least to elbows. Back straight, firm and moderate in length. Very muscular around loins.

Hindquarters
Long croup, slightly sloping. Stifles well bent. Hind legs straight when viewed from rear. Pasterns nearly upright.

Feet
Well arched, compact, close knit, round to oval shaped with strong nails and pads; turning neither in nor out. Tufts of dense short hair between toes.

Tail
Well feathered, slightly scimitar shaped, moderately long, not reaching below hocks. Strong at root, becoming gradually thinner. Carried horizontally or just below line of back. Previously, docking of tip of tail was optional.

Gait/Movement
Free, long-striding, stylish and graceful, with good forward reach and powerful drive from hindquarters.

Coat
Correct coat very important. On back and sides of body, about 3-5cms long (1-2 ins), close fitting and with good undercoat. On throat, chest and stomach, coat may be longer. Body hair sleek and close lying, smooth or slightly wavy. Back of front legs and hind legs to hock joint, well feathered; below hocks significantly shorter.

Colour
Solid brown: white markings permissible especially on chest and feet. Dark brown roan: with varying sized brown patches, brown head with blaze or star. White, ticked: with varying sized brown patches, brown head with blaze or star. Trout-coloured roan: numerous small brown patches on white ground, brown head with blaze or star. Brown & White: either clear, or with large brown patches (e.g. saddle) and very few small patches; brown head with blaze or star. Black highly undesirable.

Size
Height: Dogs - Minimum height at withers 60 cms (24 ins), maximum 70 cms (28 ins). (Ideal height 63-66 cms (25-26 ins)). Bitches - Minimum height at withers 58 cms (23 ins), maximum 66 cms (26 ins). (Ideal height 60-62 cms (24-24½ ins). Weight: Approx. 30kgs (66lbs).

you could always contact Losos, he's the funsters dog whisperer:thumb:

here's a link to their club http://www.german-longhaired-pointer.org.uk/events.htm

Last edited:

rav4girly

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
Our most recent addition to our family is Mac, a Jackadoodle!!! Jack Russel/Poodle. He sheds very little and at 16 weeks is already quite at home in the Motorhome. Our other old fella is Buzz, a English Bull Terrier/German Sheperd and the best dog we ever had.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In 2007in the USA Labradors bit more people that any other dog. In 2007 the Labrador was THE most common pet dog in the USA by miles. In 99.9% of these case it will not be the dogs fault.

Whilst almost every study agrees that you are more likely to be bitten by an English Cocker Spaniel than any other dog. Any dog may bite if frightened or if the owner does not understand the dogs behaviour. Learn about the breed and its needs, join dog forums or local clubs and ask advice about the care, conditioning and disciplining of a new puppy and the chances are that your dog, no matter what the breed will never bite anyone.

The 3rd/4th most dangerous dog on most lists is the German Shepherd. I have owned many over the years, in fact i have never been without one, I trained them professionally for almost 11 years, none of my family have ever been bitten by these "dangerous dogs" :RollEyes: Do your homework, buy a puppy so they grow up with your children, join a training club, learn as much as you can. And remember, no matter what happens, you will eventually begin to look like your pet, so choose a good looking one:thumb:

Kev D

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
farnborough hants
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newbie Aug 09
Springer Spaniel you cant go wrong loyal depentable loving and obidient.

you cant fault them

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi Claire,
As you can see loads of advice already, I would just add that if you feel you can take a rescue dog (or puppy) you will be helping what is becomming a terrible situation with so many dogs going into rescue centres and there's absolutely no reason why such a rescue dog or puppy shouldn't be the loving companion I'm sure you're looking for.

I believe Paul (Haganap) did almost a years research into the breed and ended up contacting our rescue lady and now has Tara.

Please consider it, and pleasse please take your time and research all the facts, it will make your final choice so much better and so much more suitable for your home, and one less dog which may ultimately be PTS because of some human who didn't care and didn't want the bother once the 'novelty' had worn off. Oh BTW my suggestion would be a Labrador but all dogs have one thing we humans don't have much anymore and that is loyalty and devotion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Thank you all for your replies. Lots to consider but plenty of time to mull it over. :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we have a bichon frise, she is small and white and fluffy. There is very little shedding of hair, but she needs regular grooming and a trip to the salon for a trim at least every 6 weeks.

If you are working all the time a dog is not the animal to get whatever breed and remember dogs are for life, they become part of the family - we wont put our dog in kennels and not every holiday campsite takes dogs so when considering having a dog consider also the impact on holidays, family outings etc.

Good luck xxxx

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I agree with united girl have a look at a rescue dog lots of them just wanting a decent home.I have a rescue german shephard cross and she is absolutely lovely, I also have a bull mastiff as you can see from my avatar he is great doesn't cast loves people but people are a bit scared of his size 12.5 stone of slobber and love. But if you have got room in your life for a dog go for the rescue you'll feel good for it:thumb:

OP
OP
C

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
If you are working all the time a dog is not the animal to get whatever breed and remember dogs are for life, they become part of the family - we wont put our dog in kennels and not every holiday campsite takes dogs so when considering having a dog consider also the impact on holidays, family outings etc.

Good luck xxxx

We only ever holiday in the motorhome and plan to take the dog away with us. :Cool:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
The Airedale is the tallest member of the Terrier group. Terriers are keen, intelligent and adaptable dogs and the Airedale is valued for these characteristics. They are suitable as working dogs, when their waterproof double coat ensures they perform well, both on land and in water, and as companion dogs
Airedales are not a particularly greedy or fussy eaters and are therefore easy to feed. They are however well-built and very active dogs who require reasonable amounts of good quality food to fuel their energy levels.
Other Expenses
Apart from feeding and general health checks at the vets, the main expense is stripping. Airedales shed their coats twice a year and on these occasions it is advisable to have them professionally stripped. Owners can learn to do this themselves but it requires time and effort and it can be expensive to buy the necessary equipment
The Airedale is a well-built, muscular dog with a dense coat which lies straight and close to the body. The outer coat is hard, wiry and stiff while the undercoat is shorter and softer. :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
OMG, they are sooo cute!!!

Picardy Shepherd is a French breed of dog of the herding group of breeds. These dogs nearly became extinct after both World War I and World War II[1] and remain a rare breed to this day. This breed of dog is people-oriented, loyal, and can make a good family pet if properly socialized early in life.

picardy_shepherd_id65j.jpg

picardy_shepherd_id65d.jpg

Last pic I promise...

I am desparate to get one....

ShiftZZ

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
puppy

Hi
We have a boxer bitch, who has been excellent with our kids as they have grown up:Smile:, although she does leave hair on the seats she sits on. She is excellent on car/ motorhome journeys , but did not enjoy her ferry crossing to Ireland last week as she had to be left alone on the car deck !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back