Skye, Harris, Lewis and Uist (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

Would appreciate any tip on things to do places to stay on Sky, Harris, Lewis and Uist.
We are CC members and have spotted two CL's on Uist

Any tips on places to fill and empty

Any wild camping spots would be appreciated (please pm me if you prefer)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Robert

Hopefully @DavidG58 may have some suggestions

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
not quite a reccomendation for camp sites ,but id reccomend downloading Peter Mays trillogy about Lewis ,theres a lot of good info in there wrapped up in a good yarn

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpeg

http://www.isle-of-lewis.com/accommodation/camping-and-hostels/valtos-campsite/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Guys

Would appreciate any tip on things to do places to stay on Sky, Harris, Lewis and Uist.
We are CC members and have spotted two CL's on Uist

Any tips on places to fill and empty

Any wild camping spots would be appreciated (please pm me if you prefer)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Robert
:D
Hopefully @DavidG58 may have some suggestions
Oh goodie planning another photo and food fest trip!!(y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Oh goodie planning another photo and food fest trip!!(y)
We're looking at this instead of the NC500 which I'm thinking is going to be very busy, having been very much promoted online and in the press.
Taking my Sister and Brother In Law too, so should be fun

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
You'll notice there are no trees in the photo!
Be sure and parody in a sheltered spot....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just typed loads, touched wrong key and lost the lot, how come it saves drafts of thigs you don't want to keep :mad::mad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
http://www.westharristrust.org/camping-2/camping/

must stop giving this one out, there are very few places, but £5 / night excellent value and supporting the project I hope they might do more (y)

when are you going? I am there after Falkirk, not telling you too much don't want to have to kick you off my favourite places :LOL::LOL:

For a pretty place but with nothing to go to on foot at all, Shellbay camp site, (?name memory failing) my avatar is from there on North Uist / Benbecula

Flodabay farm was interesting on Harris, 3 pitch only not sure if CL or very small site, seriously steep climb to pitches with brilliant views, owner does home made food and brings it to you to order, food and site a little expensive and owner was a little pushy to take his food, but he has spent a fortune making the access

we are using a site on Lewis for the first time Eilean Fraoich, Helen @Puddleduck has been sounds quiet, perfect for us

bottom of South Uist nice new site near Ludag, easy walk to Polochar Inn, but also free parking there with better views

a favourite road of mine is B887 north of Tarbert, heads along side of sea loch / coast, at one point you will convince yourself you are driving into a private estate, keep going, nice beach at end with limited parking, 1/3 of way down road is parking for path to eagle observatory, we have seen our best golden Eagle sightings there, nice walk and off road parking overnight options

that's it till I know when you are going :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Robert it's about 7 years since we did Barra up to Lewis so things will have changed by then, then you could find water and WC emptying at most ferry terminals they did have a leaflet back then with all the water points and emptying points if you contact the tourist board they might still have it.
I don't need to tell you this as I know the answer from your posts, if you use local shops, pubs and cafes then the locals will look after you. We visited a smoked salmon factory to buy my dad some and ended up getting a tour of the place and don't forget the Stornaway Blackpudding

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
not quite a reccomendation for camp sites ,but id reccomend downloading Peter Mays trillogy about Lewis ,theres a lot of good info in there wrapped up in a good yarn
Don't you think the murders and gannet eating might put visitors off? But great reads.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert it's about 7 years since we did Barra up to Lewis so things will have changed by then, then you could find water and WC emptying at most ferry terminals they did have a leaflet back then with all the water points and emptying points if you contact the tourist board they might still have it.
I don't need to tell you this as I know the answer from your posts, if you use local shops, pubs and cafes then the locals will look after you. We visited a smoked salmon factory to buy my dad some and ended up getting a tour of the place and don't forget the Stornaway Blackpudding
Stornaway Black Pudding is one of my favorites, and am looking forward to trying it again.
Will certainly try the tourist office for a dump station map
Thank you !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can park up here in Portreee Skye. Right down by the water.
The bit in the middle on bottom half of photo.
staticmap.png

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forgot to mention Skye we stayed at the campsite in Dunvegan nothing fancy but stunning views, only word of warning when we went to book in the old guy who owns it was sitting playing dominos with his mates and told me there was no pitches unless I had a dram from him.
Who was I to refuse ended up spending an hour or two with him over the 2 nights we stayed.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
You can park up here in Portreee Skye. Right down by the water.
The bit in the middle on bottom half of photo.View attachment 103846
There are signs prohibiting overnight parking in this car park in Portree. There is a campsite off the Staffin road out of Portree. £20 per night including EHU. There are plenty of sites suitable for wild camping all over the island, but most quite a long way from civilization.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thx ..Must be since last year then. There were none when we were there, great wee spot it was too.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Thx ..Must be since last year then. There were none when we were there, great wee spot it was too.
Yes, it's a shame. There aren't many places you can overnight within easy reach of any of the main centres. There is a festival on this weekend in Portree and they had a sign up advertising wild camping on a pitch just beyond the main co-op supermarket. I don't know if this would be OK at other times.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Last time we were there there was a sign in tbe car park on tbe left of my photo but none in tbe bottom part. Its used by the buses or at least it used to be :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So tranquility has finally been restored to the duck pond

Well the neighbours aren't that happy but as Martin has made a superb job of making the post removable and gate swing well out of the way they can't really complain and I turn deaf when they start on about our "caravan". They were going to get one when we got ours and then discovered "how expensive dormobiles are now".

Since Mr Next-Door made a pigs **** of the Queen's birthday beacon by buying the wrong gas cylinder (he'd refused all offers of help wanting all the credit for himself) he's been very quiet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back