Anyone know what bulb type this is ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wanna know what holder type it is.. You know, like an H3 H4 or whatever..

It is 15mm across the base, the flange is ABOUT 25mm across and ABOUT 45 mm total length

P1020004.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Type not stamped on the barrel next to the numbers visible in the pic? (Magnifying glass required)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If it is 15mm for the main body you may be able to make a replacement out of a ba15s bulb and a suitable penny washer

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Wanna know what holder type it is.. You know, like an H3 H4 or whatever..

It is 15mm across the base, the flange is ABOUT 25mm across and ABOUT 45 mm total length

View attachment 103739
It looks like an old style spotlight bulb mate, the like of which came with Raydot spotlights. The hole in the reflector held the plate, you inserted the bulb against the sprung center contact, and twisted to lock.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Its called a 'pre-focused single filament automotive bulb'
bulb.jpg

This is the bumph for the double filament bulb......

Pre-focus Double Filament.
This type of bulbs are used only for headlights with both the filaments accurately positioned relative to the reflector, both along the principal axis and offset from it in the correct plane. To achieve this positioning a notched flange is formed around the metal cap. When the bulb is installed into the holder, the flange flushes against a reference shoulder due to which the main filament is precisely on the focal point of the reflector. Consequently, the notch is located by a projection which sets the bulb’s angular position so that the dipped-beam filament is directly over the focal point. The normal ratings for these main/dip bulbs are 45/40, 50/40 and 55/40

The single filament was used for spot and fog lights, and side marker front lights, but mostly in 6 volt.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How is it held in.
place in the holder, then held in by a cap that is pushed down and twisted

Type not stamped on the barrel next to the numbers visible in the pic? (Magnifying glass required)
No mate.. Just a couple of Chinese symbols !

Whats it off ?
The Beast ( AKA the tandem mobility scoot I have just built..

That is a weird one, what is it out off?
Mobility scooter

If it is 15mm for the main body you may be able to make a replacement out of a ba15s bulb and a suitable penny washer
I could use one but it would mean a lot of modification !

It looks like an old style spotlight bulb mate, the like of which came with Raydot spotlights. The hole in the reflector held the plate, you inserted the bulb against the sprung center contact, and twisted to lock.

Correct

Some sort of spotlight bulb.

http://www.topbulb.com/a3603-12v-25w-t6-incandescent-px15d-special-flange-base

EDIT the base flange might be px15d,

The px15d are twin contacters unfortunately.. but you have it spot on with the T6 !! Take a merit mark and move your desk closer to the front (y)

Martin

It's out of a torch isn't it?

Its called a 'pre-focused single filament automotive bulb'
View attachment 103741

This is the bumph for the double filament bulb......

Pre-focus Double Filament.
This type of bulbs are used only for headlights with both the filaments accurately positioned relative to the reflector, both along the principal axis and offset from it in the correct plane. To achieve this positioning a notched flange is formed around the metal cap. When the bulb is installed into the holder, the flange flushes against a reference shoulder due to which the main filament is precisely on the focal point of the reflector. Consequently, the notch is located by a projection which sets the bulb’s angular position so that the dipped-beam filament is directly over the focal point. The normal ratings for these main/dip bulbs are 45/40, 50/40 and 55/40

The single filament was used for spot and fog lights, and side marker front lights, but mostly in 6 volt.

Yep.. spot on but in this case 18w 24v

So why do I need to know ? Cos I wanna replace the buggers with LED types..

Managed to find replacements for all the other bulbs on the thing so will not start searching for the T6 type (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How odd !
The T6 automotive bulb is coming up as a festoon type.. So I tried the a3603 number and that is only coming up with twin contacter option .. and nowt in the LED options..

Looks like I might have to get busy and graft a different holder to the light units

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've only ever seen that fitment on early Japanese motorcycles. I don't think it will appear on any standard list.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you looked here - there seems to be a selection of single contact bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...to+bulbs.TRS0&_nkw=led+auto+bulbs&_sacat=9884

Sadly none suitable.. BUT
You have jogged my memory !
I have about 40+ white stop and tail LED's
Methinks it is time to take the lens off the headlights ( A simple task involving very hot water ;) ) and fit the bulbs inside the unit, hold it all in place with the eternally useful glue gun, and then stick the lenses back on !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Light units came apart real easy !!

I have ordered a pair of standard 1156 types .. They are sold as turn signal replacements so will be brighter ( slightly and probably not really noticeable ) than the original incandescent 18w rated ones

$_12.JPG

I will simply push them in from the front, glue them in place and solder a couple of wires straight to them ..
Nice and easy with a total cost of 99p ( inc postage from China for goodness sake LOL !! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back