LAKE GARDA or SOUTHERN SPAIN? (1 Viewer)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there all funsters,

Next year, late July and August we are thinking about either going to Lake Garda or Southern Spain for our annual european holiday.

Are there any funsters out there who can give us some information on either of these places, such as good sites etc. We don't mind walking or cycling and use local public transport.

We would like to be near/overlooking water, either the lake (Garda) or the sea (Spain).

Because of my job I need a period of quiet in order to recharge my batteries after a hectic academic year.

Any information you can give us would be really appreciated.

Thanks to you all in advance.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Over here in Spain July is ok but August it gets packed even wild camping this year was a bit hard with the police asking you to move on. The last 3 weeks now the Spanish holidays are over you can park on or near most beaches and not get moved.

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Hi there all funsters,

Are there any funsters out there who can give us some information on either of these places, such as good sites etc. We don't mind walking or cycling and use local public transport.

Lake Garda is an excellent location for a holiday. We have stayed there a few times. It is probably the busiest of the north Italian lakes with lots of good atmosphere about it.
The south edge of the lake is the most commercial and busy area. I would recommend the south-eastern end - somewhere like Lazise or Bardolino. You can buy a 'Rover' daily ticket for the lake which allows you to travel on any ships, all day, to and from anywhere on the lake.
Both Lazise and Bardolino are excellent for eating out.
The site at Lazise is blocked by the town's market on a Wednesday, so don't plan to arrive or leave that day.
Lots of places to visit, great climate, and generally, a good feel to the area.
Easy acces over the Brenner Pass from Innsbruk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
lake garda

this is a place i have always wanted to go to but how long do you need to do it properly not driving all the time

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Lake Garda

Hi there all funsters,

Lake Garda is an excellent location for a holiday. We have stayed there a few times. It is probably the busiest of the north Italian lakes with lots of good atmosphere about it.
The south edge of the lake is the most commercial and busy area. I would recommend the south-eastern end - somewhere like Lazise or Bardolino. You can buy a 'Rover' daily ticket for the lake which allows you to travel on any ships, all day, to and from anywhere on the lake.
Both Lazise and Bardolino are excellent for eating out.
The site at Lazise is blocked by the town's market on a Wednesday, so don't plan to arrive or leave that day.
Lots of places to visit, great climate, and generally, a good feel to the area.

Easy acces over the Brenner Pass from Innsbruk.

We always stay at Bardalino (Good make of wine from this area) If you have bikes you will enjoy the cycle path by the lake but in Jul/Aug the area will be packed and you will pay the higher campsite fees. We usually go in Sep but respect that you can't. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi there all funsters,

Next year, late July and August we are thinking about either going to Lake Garda or Southern Spain for our annual european holiday.

No contest - Italy.

Southern Spain is hell hole made for cheap holidays. Italy is made for Italians and those Brits with enough good sense to visit it, which we have for hundreds of years always falling in love with the place.

Listen to an Italian talking, it's Grand Opera. Listen to a Spaniard and it's a smoker with lung cancer :Smile: sort of sums up the two for me.

Garda is an excellent choice but one of many. I'd suggest taking in Florence ( WHY do we call if Florence when the correct name is so beautiful ??? ) Florence leads to Pisa and back through the Med coast and France.

Beware local holidays though, you may need to book in advance.

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I can recommend Southern Spain, having lived here for many years.

As Ken says, some areas are difficult for wild camping although here in Mojacar it is tolerated by the beach for 1 night.

Along the coast there are some smaller sites, in the Cabo de Gata natural park are a few, with one right on the beach in Las Negras.

Going further south on the Granada coast are more beach side sites and on into the Malaga area. This is a lovely scenic drive along this coastline.

In the far south beyond Gibraltar are some lovely spots down in the Tarifa area and beyond, Camping La Jara is right by the beach and a nice small site.

Enjoy!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Both are worth visiting. We have been to lake Garda for the last 3 years. we go for a month and spend time in Switzerland and the other lakes on the way down......

Our favourite site is Forenella it ticks all th boxes for us.... a great restaurant, pools, lake side beach (stony) etc.....Not the cheapest but my teenagers absolutely love it! and if they are happy I'm happy:winky:

Last edited:

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi,

I am looking at places in the early stages of planning a route to and in Italy for next august!

As a family we much prefer Italy to Spain and have visited Lakes Garda, Maggiore and the Adriatic and Val de Comacchio regions on several occasions but not for quite a few years now.

Definitely intend to incorporate Garda into the trip with a visit to Interlaken on the way. probably head on down to Le Marche then.

If anyone can suggest a couple sites in a southerly direction after Garda en route to Le Marche then we would be grateful.

I have looked up an old site that we have wonderful memories of, to find that they have a good website.

I can remember like it was only yesterday..... sitting outside our ten with a bottle of vinom watching the sun go down and the lights twinkling in the distance..sigh!!

Wonderful lakeside pitches.

Have sent them an email and am definitely going to book again.Link Removed

:thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The site you like is the sister site to our favorite Forenella....It is owned by the same family.

we stayed at Interlaken and Maggoire this year on the way to Garda. The one thing I do miss is the sea......salt water, the waves etc....

the temperature on the med are higher then the lakes as well which is a worry.........But can anyone recommend some Italain med sites that we might try?

Last edited:
D

daviddharris

Deleted User
Hya,
Last year, during a 3.5 week tour of Europe with my 2 daughters in our 786 Roadstar, we stopped and spent a week on the southern shores of Lake Garda at a site called Bella Italia (Link Removed). Whilst the site is large, the pitch we were allocated was spacious and had privacy. We were 100-odd metres from the beach-front on the Lake. The site had excellent facilities, a multitude of pools, restaurants and other facilities. The nearest town, Pesciara, was a short walk away.

I thoroughly recommend the place!

Regards
David

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we stayed at Interlaken and Maggoire this year on the way to Garda. Th one thing I do miss is the sea......salt water, the waves etc....

the temperature on the med are higher as well then the lakes.......But can anyone recommend some Italain med sites that we might try?

I'd certainly like to go back to Riccione. We were in a hotel there for a few days, a really lively holiday town with miles of glorious beaches and all the facilities you'd expect from a playground at the end of the Bologna motorway.

Technically not the Med but the same water.

'tother side, Lido di Ostia is Rome's playground. Same trip as Riccione, we stayed in a hotel there and used the train into Rome. In fact we went from Lido di Ostia to Riccione with one stop en route, then up Garda to Innsbruck.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
I think the last hell hole i was in was in south Manchester about 6 weeks ago seeing my family, thats what made me move out.:Cool:

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Many thanks to all the funsters who have supplied information, it appears that Lake Garda is a favourite with you all.

I have Bookmarked all the sites around the lake that have been recommended and will take a closer look at them later on.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
We did not go to Lake Garda this year went to cornwall instead. Will be booking the site at Lake Garda for next year very soon love it there.

The drive down for those of you who have never been is great , in our RV we do it with one stop in Switzerland but if you want to take your time there is lots to see. We have been twice now to a site in Moniga which is south west on the lake , nice site with good size pitches. Site is called Piantelle .

Regards

Lampie

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Many thanks to all the funsters who have supplied information, it appears that Lake Garda is a favourite with you all.

I have Bookmarked all the sites around the lake that have been recommended and will take a closer look at them later on.

Garda is very popular! to get on the best sites you need to book early. Fornella for instance is usually booked up by January:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Well Maggiore is not to be missed either. And Como, with the Guzzi museum ( if it's still open ) and a monument to Volta is just as beautiful.

Our first trip to Italy was booked through Magic of Italy ( we'd seen it on TV ) and never was an advert so accurate.

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
I stayed there a few years ago at a Eurocamp site if I remember correctly, right on the shore of the lake. It was very good. There is a train station for when you don't feel like driving that goes to Venice (about 1 and a half hours away) Milan (about 2 hours away) and Verona (about 1 hour away) the most expensive ticket was about 11 euros but read the train rules, we got fined for not stamping our ticket before we got on the train :Sad:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I love Lake Garda and the surrounding area..
I have been there every year since 2002 ..
We stop at Rovereto at a bike bash ( 14 Euros for 7 nights including hook up ) to start with and then travel around.
Riva Del Garda ( the northern end of the lake is my personal favorite though there are some cracking sites right down the southern end too.

This year we did a few places on the Italian Riviera as well and once agian had a cracking time..
The northen end has many wine producers around it and there are lots of oppertunities to tour their premises and have some samples !!

We find the people very very friendly in general and much to my shame I still have to rely on their bloody excellent english rather than my pathetic attempts at Italian !

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Italy Wins hand down!

I agree with most responses here and especially JawsMC.

We have been going to Italy every year since 1993. I windsurf hence the North end of the lake is the only place to be. The North and South end of the Lake garda are very different, south Flat terrain, North- mountains jutting out of the lake and its narrower. This concentrates the wind between the mountains making it very popular for windsurfing. Mountaining biking is also very popular due to the terrain. Any motor powered boats are banned from the north end of the lake so no jetskiers to motorboats, brilliant.

Many campsites in the north you cant book because they are so busy.

There is a local vineyard within walking distance where you can buy wine (min 5L) for 9 Euro's and its brilliant! Tour surrounding areas Lake Ledro and Idro and you soon leave the tourist trail and find excellent small restaurants.

If you would like any tips please let me know

N&K

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back