Water pressure regulator (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi bought one of those plastic inline regulators a couple of years back, but they not only reduce the pressure they also reduce the flow, so I heaved it. Since then been thinking about a proper one, called in to Grahams for a power shower pump and saw an Altech (Grahams own brand) sitting on the counter for £15.00 with a gauge and bought it. ::bigsmile:

Modified a couple of hozelock fittings by cutting the ends off and soldering a short piece of 15mm copper on, and now just have to fit it.

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Olley
Can I ask why you went the diy route as oposed to the regular fitting as the price is about the same
£14 without gauge and £18 with do you know something I should::bigsmile:
Geo

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi bought one of those plastic inline regulators a couple of years back, but they not only reduce the pressure they also reduce the flow, so I heaved it. Since then been thinking about a proper one, called in to Grahams for a power shower pump and saw an Altech (Grahams own brand) sitting on the counter for £15.00 with a gauge and bought it. ::bigsmile:

Modified a couple of hozelock fittings by cutting the ends off and soldering a short piece of 15mm copper on, and now just have to fit it.

Olley

Got one of those for my brother from screwfix the other week for his static if its the same it comes as a 22mm with reducers to 15mm think the cost was about the same, neat job Olley:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Olley
Can I ask why you went the diy route as oposed to the regular fitting as the price is about the same
£14 without gauge and £18 with do you know something I should::bigsmile:
Geo

Probably because the "RV" ones are useless and reduce the flow/pressure in the shower to a trickle. That's the complaint on the US forums.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo, by regular do you mean the plastic inline one that you can buy? if so it reduces the flow, my shower went down markedly from what it is normally. Hi sinbad no its 15mm fittings.

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No Olley
the purpose made all brass type that screw directly onto your city water inlet I had to borrow one at Parc Verger as the pressure was very high factory preset at 40 to 50 psi those ones worked fine:thumb:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo never seen one, got a link?

Olley

PS found some at the RV filter store, but they ain't £18 around £30

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Both types HERE:thumb:
Geo
£3.08 or $5 in the states

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo my experience of the inline types wasn't good, so I wouldn't buy another, whether the ones on Ebay are any good I don't know, but I wouldn't spend money finding out.

The type I have bought have bigger internals than you can get with the inline type so shouldn't effect the flow so much, but until I connect it I won't know for sure.

Olley

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Geo's link, if you scroll down to the top two from international selllers, we got one of those from a certain loverly lady:thumb: and it works a treat, ever so slightly higher pressure than the pump, which was what I expected.

Just my penneth?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We need to distinguish between reducing pressure and controlling pressure ..

A regulator will maintain a constant pressure by controlling, irrespective of supply pressure fluctuations .. a reducer simply restricts pressure AND flow..

Olley has fitted a pressure regulator which has a diaphragm and spring, same as a gas regulator, a far more satisfactory solution .. constant pressure with no reduction in flow.

300px-Single-stage-regulator.svg.png

Jim

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi fixed it into the locker today, bought a exhaust clamp that fitted the body, chucked the "U" bolt and made a new one out of some studding, drilled some holes and bolted it up. ::bigsmile:

Olley

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It doesn't matter what their called, PRV, PCR, etc they pretty much all do the same thing.

The desire is to ensure that the supply from the site does not exceed the operating pressure at your pipework within the rv.

How its done doesn't really matter. You have got to reduce the flow velocity on the input side of the valve, this means that the outlet side, ie you rv tap receives far less pressure than normal. I've yet to see a decent one, its definitely no good when fed in to your city water supply

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim pressure and flow (velocity) are two different things, you can have high flow and zero pressure as in a sewer, or high pressure and zero flow as at a valve which is shut.

The regulator on top of welding bottles for instance gives you a constant flow at a constant pressure, from a very high pressure source in the case of the oxygen bottle. Using our 1/2" hose we are unlikely to get very high flow rates but with the taps turned off we may get high pressure, which could cause problems.

The answer is to fit our water tank with a ball valve, so that our water is always pumped by our electric pump. ::bigsmile:

Olley

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim pressure and flow (velocity) are two different things, you can have high flow and zero pressure as in a sewer, or high pressure and zero flow as at a valve which is shut.

The regulator on top of welding bottles for instance gives you a constant flow at a constant pressure, from a very high pressure source in the case of the oxygen bottle. Using our 1/2" hose we are unlikely to get very high flow rates but with the taps turned off we may get high pressure, which could cause problems.

The answer is to fit our water tank with a ball valve, so that our water is always pumped by our electric pump. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Hi Olley

You have it right in your first and maybe third paragraph. I think you are taking things (words) out of context. If I'm using an oxy cylinder and I want to reduce the pressure I will turn down the flow, this will, (I promise you) reduce the pressure given that there is an adequate exhaust which in the case of an rv there isn't.

Jim

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley

You have it right in your first and maybe third paragraph. I think you are taking things (words) out of context. If I'm using an oxy cylinder and I want to reduce the pressure I will turn down the flow, this will, (I promise you) reduce the pressure given that there is an adequate exhaust which in the case of an rv there isn't.

Jim

Hi Jim its called a pressure regulator, it may also reduce the flow but its primary function is to reduce the pressure, flow restrictors and pressure regulators are two different beasts.

Olley

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim its called a pressure regulator, it may also reduce the flow but its primary function is to reduce the pressure, flow restrictors and pressure regulators are two different beasts.

Olley

Hi Olley,

Believe me that after a life time in the industry I know what each valve is capable of doing, a PRV will reduce pressure.

Back to the original question for example. I have a valve that is designed to reduce the pressure from the tap to the outlet side of the valve.

This was with my bus when it was delivered to me. It doesn't work because all that I get is a dribble from the taps in the rv.

Thats because the pressure has been reduced. What product would you recommend to overcome this problem ?

Jim

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years