What's the best backup sim (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
right, Julie has bought a new phone with two sim slots, she is on 3 pay and go at the moment so that one will be going in which works on feel at home in France , NOW, what do the experts on here think would be the best one to add, which would do what the 3 one doesn't.
It's from Argos and they have more or less got all the sims for a pound.
Cheers.(y):)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe Orange. I found the 3 signal poor in France.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Leave it free for a local sim card in places like Portugal where three doesn't work.

Alternatively, for UK use try EE as their coverage seems to be very good now, or at least it is down here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you do have a foreign sim in as a backup you will have better coverage than any UK network. Set it to roaming and you will get pretty well any UK network as their roaming partner, when your other network fails.

In places like Cumbria and mid Wales it is becoming common practice among professionals like vets who spend a long time on the road.

Germany sims still keep PAYG credit indefinitely, 12 months if you haven't used any. Relatively cheap now since new EU enforced max charges from today. Bit of a faff getting one though.

Dick

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Have you tried manually selecting Burguoyes as the carrier?
We've found them to be better than FREE, who is often the default carrier for Three in France
I'll try that in a week or two when back in France. I found I was getting no mobile signal at all, where U would have thought the phone would pick up the strongest?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you do have a foreign sim in as a backup you will have better coverage than any UK network. Set it to roaming and you will get pretty well any UK network as their roaming partner, when your other network fails.

In places like Cumbria and mid Wales it is becoming common practice among professionals like vets who spend a long time on the road.

Germany sims still keep PAYG credit indefinitely, 12 months if you haven't used any. Relatively cheap now since new EU enforced max charges from today. Bit of a faff getting one though.

Dick
Yes my spanish ones work perfectly in the Uk . Pity everyone has to wait for a decent signal anywhere until the roaming is removed.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'll try that in a week or two when back in France. I found I was getting no mobile signal at all, where U would have thought the phone would pick up the strongest?
Have you got roaming turned on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Have you got roaming turned on?
Screenshot_2016-04-29-20-48-59.png

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
right, Julie has bought a new phone with two sim slots, she is on 3 pay and go at the moment so that one will be going in which works on feel at home in France , NOW, what do the experts on here think would be the best one to add, which would do what the 3 one doesn't.
It's from Argos and they have more or less got all the sims for a pound.
Cheers.(y):)
Well problem solved actually, when she went to pick it up they gave her a ee sim with it, so trying that first(y):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back