Annoyed! (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just sold some leisure batteries on eBay.
Adverts were listed for 7 days and I wrote in description that due to size & weight, strictly collection only.
Even the postage section states local collection.

Yet after bidding and winning the auction on one of the adverts, the buyer has just sent a message saying sorry, didn't notice it was collection only and thought it was free delivery and requesting cancel the sale.

I've asked £25 for a battery. - Why would I include free delivery at that price on that weight of an item?

So, do I cancel the sale agreement and then re-advertise which is another week, or do I wait 48hrs for the payment (which looks to be not forthcoming) and chase payment through Ebays resolution centre and hold them to the sale agreement?

Just checked this persons profile and they've received buyer feedback from a battery company today!

Am I having my leg pulled?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
take it on the chin, ebay will not help, or even care, the 'buyer' has gone elsewhere, possibly even genuine mistake (doubt it myself as well) I would be as pissed as you, but we both need to save the angst and anger for something more worthwhile

file non paying bidder case, you will get your fees back, relist, pour large drink and breath (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Someone looking for a right bargain. Would depend on their ratings whether I would hold them to it or not.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
You won't get your money either way. If you cancel you might get you fees back to relist. If you wait and raise nonpaying bidder you definitely will but it takes ages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
Can you offer the second chance option whereby the next highest bidder gets notified they can have them. it doesn't address the guy not buying but at least you don't have to relist them.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Wait 48hrs, then open non paid case.
That at least gets your fees back.
Then relist with BIG words at top
COLLECTION ONLY
in the very first line

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks all.
The bidder has 400+ reviews, so no excuse for not knowing.
Unfortunately on this particular battery, this person was the only bidder, so can't even go to a second chance option.

Sod it, I will open a non paid case.
Fed up with the minority on eBay who don't play by the rules.

Will keep you posted....

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
take it on the chin, ebay will not help, or even care, the 'buyer' has gone elsewhere, possibly even genuine mistake (doubt it myself as well) I would be as pissed as you, but we both need to save the angst and anger for something more worthwhile

file non paying bidder case, you will get your fees back, relist, pour large drink and breath (y)

Careful David, you know what happened the last time you gave advice!(y):rolleyes:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Claim fees and move on. (y)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
If you both mutually cancel it then you get your fees back automatically. You request the cancellation they agree and it is done. Wouldn't waste my time raising the non payment. If you cancel you can relist straight away.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I tend to think that it was probably a genuine mistake by someone of limited intelligence. If you frequent online forums and Facebook, I am sure you are aware that there are a huge amount of people among us that are not very bright, and that's being polite.

Reactions: DBK

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I am sure you are aware that there are a huge amount of people among us that are not very bright.

Well, I will have you know, I am dazzling, because my mummy thought the sun shone out of my a.rse. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As a very experienced sell on ebay (feedback 29,408), 99% of the time ebay will favor the buyer in a dispute they don't care sh*t about the seller as long as they get their fees.
If you raise a non payment dispute ebay will ask for proof of delivery or the buyer will ask to cancel the order, then if you don't respond ebay will cancel it for you, David can't compete with Goliath.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I tend to think that it was probably a genuine mistake by someone of limited intelligence. If you frequent online forums and Facebook, I am sure you are aware that there are a huge amount of people among us that are not very bright, and that's being polite.
Don't think so @GAVLAD said he had just had some feedback from a battery company, sounds like he changed his mind and brought a new one. I would feel better towards someone like that if they told the truth.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
As a very experienced sell on ebay (feedback 29,408), 99% of the time ebay will favor the buyer in a dispute they don't care sh*t about the seller as long as they get their fees.
If you raise a non payment dispute ebay will ask for proof of delivery or the buyer will ask to cancel the order, then if you don't respond ebay will cancel it for you, David can't compete with Goliath.
But this was the whole point Lenny - delivery was not an option - it was collect in person, so EBay can't ask for proof of delivery?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
And it's looking like one of the other winning bidders with a massive score rating of '1' who lives the other end of the country to me will be getting contact from eBay too.

Am I correct in that by bidding and winning the bid, it's a legal binding contract?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But this was the whole point Lenny - delivery was not an option - it was collect in person, so EBay can't ask for proof of delivery?
Why not?, If collected they can asked for a signed collection note.

And it's looking like one of the other winning bidders with a massive score rating of '1' who lives the other end of the country to me will be getting contact from eBay too.

Am I correct in that by bidding and winning the bid, it's a legal binding contract?
Yes it's in eBay T&C but as I said they don't care a toss about sellers & they will just cancel the sale.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just sold some leisure batteries on eBay.
Adverts were listed for 7 days and I wrote in description that due to size & weight, strictly collection only.
Even the postage section states local collection.

Yet after bidding and winning the auction on one of the adverts, the buyer has just sent a message saying sorry, didn't notice it was collection only and thought it was free delivery and requesting cancel the sale.

I've asked £25 for a battery. - Why would I include free delivery at that price on that weight of an item?

So, do I cancel the sale agreement and then re-advertise which is another week, or do I wait 48hrs for the payment (which looks to be not forthcoming) and chase payment through Ebays resolution centre and hold them to the sale agreement?

Just checked this persons profile and they've received buyer feedback from a battery company today!

Am I having my leg pulled?

Was the feedback from the battery company After your transaction? If so he may have made a genuine mistake then realised and bought somewhere else.

Open a non payers case but bear in mind you won't gain anything except maybe the listing fee. Is it really worth it ?

Setting off a battle may risk the buyer leaving you a negative feedback. Doesent matter who's at fault muck sticks. You as a seller cannot leave a negative. So in that respect you cannot win.

It ain't worth the agg....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It sort of is, in the sense it is covered in eBay T & Cs which you agree to when registering but eBay aren't going to take anyone to court over non-payment. They can at worst only threaten to ban someone.

And Distance Selling Regulations don't apply to private sellers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back