Affinity: Creative Photo Editing Software for Mac ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone bought it and give a review.. ?

"Affinity - the fastest, smoothest, most precise professional creative software, exclusively for Mac .."

It's an extension for Apple Photos.. so works seamlessly ..

It certainly looks good and there is a 30 day free trial .. and at £39.99 it's not going to break the bank and it can also be shared with family member..

I have Adoble elements 11 , used Gimp and many others .. Adobe CS is now in the cloud with an annual subscription .. not interested..

so please, only interested in reviews about Affinity.. is it as good as they say ?

Information here https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

I think there is a beta version for Windows..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Adobe CS is now in the cloud with an annual subscription .. not interested.

Go on, you know you want to (y):D £8.50 a month for Photoshop and Lightroom, bargain (y)

Admittedly I use the whole suite, not just Photoshop, for work so I'm looking from a slightly different perspective but there's still nothing else that comes remotely close to it. It's the industry standard for a reason. (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I too use the whole Adobe Creative Suite. But for photography only I would advise people to leave photoshop alone and focus entirely on Lightroom, its cheap about £100 but can very cheap £50, often free with cameras etc. And with a zillion free addons there is nothing you really can't do with Lightroom and it does a lot better than Photoshop. Added to that, Light room is the best catalogue (industry standard) for keeping track and organising your photos, it's a win win. No compromise at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I too use the whole Adobe Creative Suite. But for photography only I would advise people to leave photoshop alone and focus entirely on Lightroom, its cheap about £100 but can very cheap £50, often free with cameras etc. And with a zillion free addons there is nothing you really can't do with Lightroom. Added to that, Light room is the best catalogue for keeping track and organising your photos, its a win win. No compromise at all.

I'd probably agree with that. If you're only looking for basic editing - levels and the like - and don't want to get too artistic or creative Lightroom is by far the better bet. Not sure you can buy it as standalone any more though? I think it's only available as part of CS in one of the monthly plans now.

If you can get it free with a camera then it's a complete no brainer - that's where my first copy came from.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd probably agree with that. If you're only looking for basic editing - levels and the like - and don't want to get too artistic or creative Lightroom is by far the better bet. Not sure you can buy it as standalone any more though? I think it's only available as part of CS in one of the monthly plans now.

If you can get it free with a camera then it's a complete no brainer - that's where my first copy came from.

yes it's still available as a standalone product. And these days you can do a LOT more than basic editing, and the workflows make it easier and better for many. As you're probably aware there are now many professionals who don't have photoshop in their workflow at all. Preferring to do everything in LR

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
yes it's still available as a standalone product. And these days you can do a LOT more than basic editing, and the workflows make it easier and better for many. As you're probably aware there are now many professionals who don't have photoshop in their workflow at all. Preferring to do everything in LR

I know a lot of people do swear by it. I use it a bit, usually for batch work, but I still prefer Ps for most things. Just a case of what you get used to I suppose. Lightroom is definitely easier for a beginner to get to grips with.

Would you happen to have a link or anything for buying it standalone? A friend was looking for it a while ago and I couldn't find it anywhere. As far as I know they're still looking.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Amazon have it .. /QUOTE]

Ahh. Lightroom 6.

I never thought of Amazon when I was looking before.

Just looked and it appears that Adobe are also selling it as a single licence product again now. They definitely stopped doing that for a while when they were pushing CC hard.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
App store reviews seem generally good.

Take full advantage of the 30 day trial and decide for yourself is probably the best way to go (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well Jim, a lot of feedback on Photoshop and Lightroom, not much on Affinity though, I'll carry on watching this thread though just in case:)

I've downloaded and will report back..

but as you have 30days to evaluate .. nowt to lose .. give it a whirl and we can compare findings :)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I really have no experience of photo imaging Jim but its something I want to try, I downloaded (on free trial but retail on offer £14.99) one called Picktorial but to be honest it doesn't look too user friendly, i will wait for your assessment on Affinity and your opinion on ease of use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back