falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have an Avondale Seascape on a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD . I have read elsewhere that this engine can be re-mapped to increase the bhp by 45 and apparently better mpg. Is this a recognised way of tuning up and are there negative side effects. I keep thinking if it is so good for £300 why is it not done by Fiat from new as a good selling point?

Would appreciate some comments on this.

Francis

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have an Avondale Seascape on a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD . I have read elsewhere that this engine can be re-mapped to increase the bhp by 45 and apparently better mpg. Is this a recognised way of tuning up and are there negative side effects. I keep thinking if it is so good for £300 why is it not done by Fiat from new as a good selling point?

Francis

You'll never get more performance AND more mpg.

Two reasons why the manufacturers do not do it.

1. Reliability.
2. Sales. It's very common for makers to sell Normal/Gti, both the same engine with the non GTi one downgraded. It's cheaper to make the same engine and cripple one to make the full power one cost more.

Reliability in a Fiat could be the clutch, they only just cope, up the and they will be more easily shredded by a plonker.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
I had my 2.8 jtd remapped by WOW Power and it does exactly what it says on the tin
My hymer is now a joy to drive, lots more power, but it,s not that so much as everything is so much smoother
Well worth doing
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Brian said the factory tuning is for reliability and economy over many different applications.
motorway driving, town delivery driving, white van man with a lead foot, fully loaded, lightly loaded etc

the more highly tuned an engine is the more unreliable it becomes and usually more thirsty but with more usable torque, within reason.

you must tell your insurance co as well, though some ins co's dont seem to bothered it can increase your premium with others.

SJM

Free Member
Aug 17, 2009
Funster No
Don't think about it do it.

I have an 07 Ducato van for my business with the 120 2.3, and our MH has the same engine but in a 04 Ducato with 110 bhp. I have fitted a Bobbox from Diesel Bob Tuning to both. I have only just done the MH, but have done about 5,000 miles in my work van since fitting the box.
The difference is remarkable. I am now regularly getting 33mpg running around doing town, A roads and a little M-way driving. If I take it steady it will do 35mpg, but will still do 80, 90 100 mph if you so wish. You can select different amounts of power/torque increase, I have it on the highest (25%) setting.

I think the reason the manufacturers don't do this as standard is because they want to sell us the bigger engines for about 3k more on the asking price. Also I suspect the lawyers have something to do with stopping them producing vans that are too fast. The standard vans with the big engines and high power outputs from the factory tend to have ESP etc to tame them.

Stu

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Francis

I would be very cautious about doing anything that may invalidate the warranty..

IMO , best to leave the re mapping and tuning to the boy racers.

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
A re-map done correctly will give you more power and better m.p.g, more power means less throttle. A really well sorted re map will see huge gains in power and torque, this shows itself in 4th and 5th gear on the 2.8JTD. Once you have driven a well mapped 2.8jtd you will wonder how you coped before!!!

Its less than £300 too!!:winky:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
A re-map done correctly will give you more power and better m.p.g, more power means less throttle. A really well sorted re map will see huge gains in power and torque, this shows itself in 4th and 5th gear on the 2.8JTD. Once you have driven a well mapped 2.8jtd you will wonder how you coped before!!!

Totally agree with these comments, and coupled with Cruise Control makes life very easy.

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
and of course what nobody has said is that in the last 2.8jtd engines released for motorhome production Fiat actually released all the power as standard as they realised that it was not being used as a white van. I believe from memory it was 172 bhp.

Pete

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hi i had the same engine in a past motorhome and it was ultra-reliable . Agreeing with all of the positive thread comments about go for it , a DTE tuning chip is a quick (10 mins.) fit and looking on their website ups the power from 128 to 152 minimum ,torque 300 to 370 Nm , an added bonus is improved fuel economy . I along with a few Nissan Navara owners have had this done and the results are impressive. You get a 12 month warranty not only on the "chip" but also on the engine and drivetrain , i have only come across good comments about this German made product . UK importers PlugNDrive North 08458626888 ask for Andy if interested! Alan

happycamper

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
bolton le sands lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi top camper
Exp
14 years
I had my bessacar based on a fiat 1.9jtd remapped at the pickering show by wow tuning and I too am pleased with the difference in performance. It won't win races but it has given it a boost in the power where it was needed.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Where is a remap less than than £300 please? Best I have been quoted is £350 + vat...

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
IMO, leave the engine as the manufacture designed it. They didn't design it so that you would be unhappy with it.
They are in a competitive environment and will always seek to produce the best engine for the given application. IMO anybody who wants to go faster for less money is dreaming.

Jim
:Smile:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
IMO, leave the engine as the manufacture designed it. They didn't design it so that you would be unhappy with it.
They are in a competitive environment and will always seek to produce the best engine for the given application. IMO anybody who wants to go faster for less money is dreaming.

Jim
:Smile:

Exactly.

I notice that the 2.2 100bhp engine uprated to 120bhp is more than just a remap. The 120n has a dual mass flywheel to cope with the increased vibration (expensive when it wears out) Even then, according to the manufacturers figures in the Citroen Handbook, the 120bhp engine does about 10% less mpg than the 100bhp

Nice little earner for somebody though, £££ for a remap :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back