Advice from southerners please (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Being married to a Yorkshire man who truly believes he lives in Gods own country, I am trying to uproot him from his native soil to explore the delights 'down south' .
Can anyone suggest the best places to go 'down there'......I would particularly like to explore on the EAST side, but hubby is convinced that it's all flat , and so no good for hardened cyclists, used to a very hilly terrain ( we have to take his road bike...not cross country)
Any suggestions ( keep it clean please!) gratefully received so that I can start planning.
Thank you

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
New Forest. Flat, but cross country in most areas for your bike. Mind out for the free roaming Ponies though.

Want hills.. Cornwall

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
New Forest, Forest of Dean, Cotswolds, Devon, Cornwall, Dorset, East Sussex, West Sussex, Kent, Suffolk, Norfolk Broads . . . the list of amazing places is endless :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
a Yorkshire man who truly believes he lives in Gods own country

He is! -------------- but convince him he need to see how right he is?

Have a look at this North Devon corner base around Ilfracombe - Barnstaple - lovely area --- and loads of hills.

upload_2016-4-27_12-20-52.png

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Caravan club camp site "Black Knowle" on the outskirts of Brockenhurst or any of the New Forest Forestry Commission camp sites - great cycling & walking with some good pubs!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Chesterfield, Edwinstowe, possibly Gainsborough.
Any further south will cause problems.
And, Oh, by the way. He DOES live in Gods County!!!
That must be the bit of Great Britain that god had put to one side ,while the South basks in the glory of being heaven ..got to be just look at th weather you have ,surely if it was gods own country it would be sunny ,warm and CHEAP.!!!!!..lol xx

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That must be the bit of Great Britain that god had put to one side ,while the South basks in the glory of being heaven ..got to be just look at th weather you have ,surely if it was gods own country it would be sunny ,warm and CHEAP.!!!!!..lol xx

Cheap??? You've never been to Barnsley market!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Parts of the east are anything but flat despite the reputation, albeit not as bumpy as Yorkshire. The Tour of Britain came here last year plus various other races. is due to happen this summer.

Area's of particular interest are Constable country, parts of North Norfolk as well as the major places of Ipswich, Norwich and Colchester none of which could be described as flat!

Reactions: Sue

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If you head north west to Glasgow then take the high road and he will see gods country for real ,the glens and the highlands are the tops in this island ,there are many beautiful areas in the UK ,sorry to break the bad news but Scotland is numero uno:)(y)

I'm not biased honest:D

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If you head north west to Glasgow then take the high road and he will see gods country for real ,the glens and the highlands are the tops in this island ,there are many beautiful areas in the UK ,sorry to break the bad news but Scotland is numero uno:)(y)

I'm not biased honest:D
Problem is the midges???...but agree beautiful country.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Don't forget Surrey. He can join the other pitb's, sorry cyclists, riding the 2012 olympic course.

Horsley CCC site placed nicely for hitting the Surrey Hills, also close to the station if you want to go shopping in central London.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
That's expensive! In comparison, but far nicer ;)
Must admit I am very fond of York, its almost untouched by modern buildings ,will be there again this year ,but will be at Boroughbridge then will pop into jez and lins York rally .on way back south .however it is so expensive in the city it takes the edge off it a bit ,but won't stop me spoiling those Yorkists with my company ,god bless them ..he needs to ..hahaha ..just joking ..

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Nah, it's crap down here you stay up in God's country........

New Forest.......FLAT? .........well it ain't exactly mountainous but it's far from flat, I've ridden over most of it on Horseback.

My house is 400ft above sea-level and I can be at the sea in 11miles so not too flat. Wiltshire downland is rolling hills, beautiful just like many parts of Yorkshire.

That's just to the right of Lancashire ain't it?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
New Forest - Not quite flat, but flat compared to Yorkshire's hilly terrain (but you can reach 400 ft above sea level in 11 miles or so I've heard). Mind out for the free roaming ponies though.

Want hills...Cornwall

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Try him out on Shropshire, first, before exposing him to the culture shock of anything further south.
As a Yorkshire woman in exile, I'd say that Shropshire is, in parts, like a softer, warmer version of Yorkshire.
Plenty of hills and nice villages, but not 'gritty' like Yorkshire.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Don't forget Surrey. He can join the other pitb's, sorry cyclists, riding the 2012 olympic course.

Horsley CCC site placed nicely for hitting the Surrey Hills, also close to the station if you want to go shopping in central London.
Sounds good....but will definitely give London a miss....my daughter lives there....hence I want to drag hubby South, but go into London for pleasure....NEVER!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Try him out on Shropshire, first, before exposing him to the culture shock of anything further south.
As a Yorkshire woman in exile, I'd say that Shropshire is, in parts, like a softer, warmer version of Yorkshire.
Plenty of hills and nice villages, but not 'gritty' like Yorkshire.
Sounds good. Can you suggest an area and maybe even a site, good for walking and biking?Xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back