'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm brand new here and I'm sure I'll have many questions over the coming months. Here's the first of many . . .

We've just bought a Bessacarr 496 and it's lovely so we want to keep it that way. Insurance seems like a good idea.

We went with Comfort. They emailed asking for proof that it's being kept on the drive. It is but I'm sure if I wanted to I could send them a picture of it on any drive. Never mind, pic sent so far so good.

Now they want proof of tracker installation. I know that a Tracker is standard on the 496 and I have a card with the vehicle with a serial number. Is that all I need or do I need to do something else? Insurance are asking for "certificate of fitment"

Cheers.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
May be worth a look if one you have installed isn't suitable. Link Removed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If they are asking for that then they want a tracking device conforming to Thatcham Category 5 or Category 6.

If that's what your standard one is you will have an installation certificate and you will also have provided your details and given some money to whoever is providing the monitoring service for a period of subscription.

If the one you have isn't Cat 5 or 6 then for insurance purposes it's unacceptable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
'Arry

'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Nick. According to Swift website it's fitted with a Tracker Retrieve which seems to be a Cat 7.

The vehicle was bought new last August but we are second owners.

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
You should find proof of your tracker amongst your purchase documents , Bessacarr fit as standard .I hope you have many years of happiness .

OP
OP
'Arry

'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ian. I have a tracker card with a serial number. Nothing else.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You'll need to contact Tracker and take over the subscription for the monitoring of the Tracker device. This can be paid annually or for upto 5 years.
If you explain to your insurers that it's a factory fitted Tracker, they should have no problems.
Hope you enjoy your new van

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Nick. According to Swift website it's fitted with a Tracker Retrieve which seems to be a Cat 7.

The vehicle was bought new last August but we are second owners.

Which is the top level. If it's been installed be an approved person. If the dealer has just bought one and installed it themselves then it's category nothing.

Getting the installation certificate is essential. If it didn't come with the van then you need to get back onto whoever you bought it from an ask for it. Failing that find out who installed it and try and get a replacement from them.

Finally has the subscription agreement with Tracker been updated to show your details? If not then they won't talk to you if it ever is stolen and you need to trace it.

OP
OP
'Arry

'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Robert, if I ever get round to actually going somewhere in it I'm sure it will be brilliant. Eight days stuck on the drive is eight too many.

OP
OP
'Arry

'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Cheers Nick. Fitted with the vehicle by Swift so that's covered. Think I need to give tracker a call.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Or you could go to an insurer who doesnt insist on trackers etc.

I can see you paying a lot of money to get this resolved....with an insurance discount on your premium of just a few quid.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That's bizarre, I am with Comfort, and they did not insist on Tracker. The van is not kept at the registered address, so I did have to complete a questionnaire regarding where I am keeping it and security arrangements etc. Other than that, they were happy.

OP
OP
'Arry

'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Daniel. All part of audit the insurers do, apparently.

By way of an update . . . I rang comfort. They were very good. They'd received pic of the vehicle on the drive but told me the insurance underwriters would not accept my Cat 7 tracker. Only Cat 5/6.

Easily sorted though, just paid extra on my premium. A whopping £12 :)

Now, if only it would stop snowing . . .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Cat 7 means that it have ben tested by Thatcham as a tracking device, a tracking device that no one will accept

Cat 6 The product is tested, but not the control centre or the fitter
Cat 5 The product is tested, the control centre is controlled and the installers are controlled and Police checked (I'm a qualified Category Five tracking system installer)

"Some" monitored Cat 6 systems are little more than a bloke with two mobile phones sadly, right pocket rings "Sales" left pocket rings "Control Centre" as the iPhone with Google maps gets pulled out

OP
OP
'Arry

'Arry

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eddie. If it's fitted as standard by Swift Group and tested by Thatcham, how come insurance underwriters have a downer on it?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie. If it's fitted as standard by Swift Group and tested by Thatcham, how come insurance underwriters have a downer on it?
It is frustrating I know but, it is only tested by MIRRC (The Motor Industry Repair and Research Centre at Tatcham) to the spec that the manufacturers criteria. This is different to the criteria set by MIRRC themselves

The same as the criteria for Cat6 (starting from £199 with us) to Cat5 £759

Some will get a Cat6 system installed, change insurers and the new insurer want Cat5

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
The tracker fitted by SWIFT are not worth the effort. They only activate it to track when you inform them the vehicle is stolen, so if you store it on a storage site you may not know for 3 months that its gone or if you are away on a non M/H holiday it may be a couple of weeks if you store it at home. Only worth bothering with if it alerts you and the tracker company when it s moved IMHO.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back