why do manufactures use powder paint for exterior fittings (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
In this case, twin rear view camera's where the paint has peeled off in under three years... we live right on the south coast and anything we put outside e.g. lights etc that are powered coated will be minus of there paint coating within three years...powder coat paint was devise for interior items like Hifi amps etc etc

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cheap and quick I guess..
My business was satellite TV, most dishes were just steel and powder coated, they didn't last long near the coast. Soon went rusty and looked a mess.. However we had a nice sideline in upgrading to Aluminium dishes :) so that was a plus for me..

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
In this case, twin rear view camera's where the paint has peeled off in under three years... we live right on the south coast and anything we put outside e.g. lights etc that are powered coated will be minus of there paint coating within three years...powder coat paint was devise for interior items like Hifi amps etc etc
Had exactly the same issue, camera fitted November and come March it had rusted, i did get it replaced by the same company that fitted it so that was one thing but for something that will always be on the outside you would of thought they would of used something a bit more resistant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Had exactly the same issue, camera fitted November and come March it had rusted, i did get it replaced by the same company that fitted it so that was one thing but for something that will always be on the outside you would of thought they would of used something a bit more resistant
It's relatively cheap to do......

......mine started rusting after a year (Waeco) so I removed it and painted with hammerite.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It's relatively cheap to do......

......mine started rusting after a year (Waeco) so I removed it and painted with hammerite.

I would of done the same if it had not been under warranty, i will be doing exactly that when this one starts to rust though. :)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
When I have exterior stuff Powder coated I spec minimal zinc coating base but prefer galvanise, thin sheet metal will distort with galvanising though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Every towbar I've had on a car has had the same problem, powder coating is fine until it gets a pinhole or chip in it then moisture gets under the coating and it just flakes off.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm using a mini CCTV camera: cast aluminium, powder coated, stainless fasteners and a concealed cable entry into the van. Oh and a shaped stainless plate underneath glued to the van to cover the four holes Brownhills drilled fitting a camera for the previous owner.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It works best with an etch primer sprayed on first the it will adhere to pot metal, I can powder coat items that will then last, the reason they use it is that it takes no skill to do and goes through the factory with out waiting for paint to dry. Save time and skilled labour, it also clings to nearly all the surfaces uniformly, however it is only a plastic film and the slightest crack allow moisture under it and filiform corrosion takes place, creeping along the surface and pushing the coating off,, just look at old aluminium garden furniture and it will lift off in lumps leaving the powdered oxide as a lousy surface to try and paint over to make it better again

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Powder coating is normally very durable. Its the substrate its painted on that is the problem. it should either be zinc phosphate or galvanised steel and coated with a self etch primer for outdoor use. They just probably powder coat over mild steel. It looks good but will only last a short time.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I forgot to mention that when I powder coat I normally bead blast the item first then use a solvent, then self etch then powder coat it. Most commercial items are blown straight on and baked, over the rust, scale and weld oxides. These flake offand the coating flakes off with them. once it has broken the plastic skin, water is in and the whole thing goes manky very fast.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
My camera mounting bracket is also flaking.
Less than 12mths old.
Just the action of tightening a screw up can break the coating

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Powder coating is normally very durable. Its the substrate its painted on that is the problem. it should either be zinc phosphate or galvanised steel and coated with a self etch primer for outdoor use. They just probably powder coat over mild steel. It looks good but will only last a short time.

I forgot to mention that when I powder coat I normally bead blast the item first then use a solvent, then self etch then powder coat it. Most commercial items are blown straight on and baked, over the rust, scale and weld oxides. These flake offand the coating flakes off with them. once it has broken the plastic skin, water is in and the whole thing goes manky very fast.

Yep - surface preparation is everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back