Warranty issues on New Vans (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I asked a local company who has very competently done similar work on my previous vans, to put a solar panel and reversing camera onto my brand new van. He said that the minute he put a hole in the van, I could say goodbye to any warranty, and that I should go back to the dealer I bought if from. When buying the van, I was alarmed at the high charges they had quoted for these simple jobs, and felt I could get it done much cheaper. Can the the dealer really hold such sway, surely a competent installer could safely do such simple jobs? Should I go to an auto electrician, or would the same position remain?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Told that when i wanted to put a Sat Dome on a new c/van,the dealer fitted it,Maxviews trouble shooter had to come out as it was not working,and."Automate" Sat/TV repair lads (Near Newark) came and fitted it properly,the dealer wanted me to pay the bill,Maxview sorted that out very quickly,cannot speak highly enough of these two firms. Plus, the warranty would be void,if i fitted an underslung gas tank on a new motorhome,so had Gas low fitted,the same company now does underslung tanks as standard.
It would be worth getting this in writing from the manufacturer,but don't hold your breath,best of luck.
Tea Bag

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I asked a local company who has very competently done similar work on my previous vans, to put a solar panel and reversing camera onto my brand new van. He said that the minute he put a hole in the van, I could say goodbye to any warranty, and that I should go back to the dealer I bought if from. When buying the van, I was alarmed at the high charges they had quoted for these simple jobs, and felt I could get it done much cheaper. Can the the dealer really hold such sway, surely a competent installer could safely do such simple jobs? Should I go to an auto electrician, or would the same position remain?
Perhaps you upset the "local company" last time :ROFLMAO: and they don't want your work;):)

Your warranty in multi faceted anyway!

Your dealer will happily pass you to Fiat/Ford/Merc for anything mechanical, Alko if your on an Alko chassis, Thetford or Dometic should you have a fridge issue, Alde or Truma for heating issues

Also, most dealers will sub warranty work out if it is too difficult for their fitters to cope with an issue

As an accessory installation company, working on predominantly new Motorhomes, installing everything from extra power points to built in generators, air conditioning systems to Webasto heating systems, I would love a dealer to tell us how we would "void" a warranty

We fixed things for most of them over the last 26 years (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Perhaps not quite the same but if you have a vehicle you are not confined to getting it repaired at the dealer while it is under warranty. Many do but under EU law they can't enforce a monopoly. The only restriction is the repairing garage has to use original manufacturer parts.

The risk you run with a solar panel is if a leak in the roof develops the supplying dealer might claim it was because someone was walking around on the roof when they fitted the panel and you would be hard pushed to prove otherwise. The risk is small but it is up to you whether you take it. Of course the dealer is probably equally if not more likely to cause a leak!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had a solar panel plus alarm and non starter fitted on our brand new van by Vanbitz, our dealer said that a professionally installed system would not invalidate warranty. Vanbitz discovered our aircon did not work, eventually sorted by Fiat professional who discovered that the system had never been connected! So much for pre delivery inspections. Towbar hadn't been connected either and dealer paid for a local person to do it. Thetford cooker went wrong and the man came to us. It did have to go back to IH for all the interior faults though. Gas leak is being sorted by a local approved dealer today as when it went back to Nick whale for its habitation chech they found a leak but didn't have the part.
The point I'm making is that as long as work is done by approved people your warranty is fine, I feel we have rigorously tested it in the first year!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

They are correct, easier to find a reasonable dealer in the first place!

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
You can do whatever you like to your van and not invalidate any warranty however if say you had a solar panel fitted and it leaked where the cables came inside the vehicle then quite rightly they would not cover you for any damage done by the water ingress but the warranty for the rest of the van is still intact.

Southdowns wanted £1,200 for a solar panel, £600 elsewhere mmmmmmm

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Perhaps you upset the "local company" last time :ROFLMAO: and they don't want your work;):)

Also, most dealers will sub warranty work out if it is too difficult for their fitters to cope with an issue
Well, I'm sure I haven't upset them we are quite friendly - I meet him occasionally. But he is very busy doing sub-contract work, so you could be part right. I may be along to see you at some point, but for now I've decided to shelve the solar panel, since we are off on our travels again next week. I am looking into the reversing camera thing, I might have it sussed. If not, see above!

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
As an accessory installation company, working on predominantly new Motorhomes, installing everything from extra power points to built in generators, air conditioning systems to Webasto heating systems, I would love a dealer to tell us how we would "void" a warranty

We fixed things for most of them over the last 26 years (y)
I'm really glad about that since you will be drilling a hole in the roof of my 2015 Carthago in a couple of weeks time (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back