Fading decals, anyone tried this? (1 Viewer)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Spring in the air, got the gear out and am in the middle of the annual wash and polish of the van. The large hymer decals, although holding on well, are looking very tired colour wise. Wife has suggested that we mask them and spray them with this.

http://www.vinyldye.co.uk/All-Vinyl-Dye-Color-Sprays

What do you think? Has anyone done it? There are all vinyl aren’t they?

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Probably doable but bloody fiddly, the masking would need to be perfect and it would take a while - you would have to give each colour plenty of time to properly cure before you tried to mask over it for the next one otherwise you risk lifting it off when you remove the tape. Also if you need more than a couple of colours it would start to get expensive.

Personally I would probably just make new ones.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I'm not not talking of anything complicated or lettering Nick just the 3 large elongated rhombus' rest is fine.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I plan on taking ours to a local graphics company to have a look and decide if they can help. It's thirteen years old now so new originals may be hard to find/expensive.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's single colour you'll probably be OK.

Do it under cover somewhere if you can, failing that pick a nice warm day with no hint of a breeze, be very very precise with the masking and follow the prep instructions to the letter.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I plan on taking ours to a local graphics company to have a look and decide if they can help. It's thirteen years old now so new originals may be hard to find/expensive.

To get them produced all the cost will be in the time it takes for someone to draw them. Printing and cutting them will be next to nothing.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I'll be doing that myself for the smaller complicated stuff Nick. You can export from all cad and many graphics programs. Limiting factor on the big ones is size of cutting machine. Limitless through one axis but limited to 600 mm in the other. Way too small.

Dick

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If you should consider removing the graphics be aware you will leave behind a shadow of the former design on the bodywork due to sun bleaching.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll be doing that myself for the smaller complicated stuff Nick. You can export from all cad and many graphics programs. Limiting factor on the big ones is size of cutting machine. Limitless through one axis but limited to 600 mm in the other. Way too small.

Dick

How big do you need?

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
How big do you need?
I've got access to a Camm1 with a mtr bed but my friend only has 610mm rolls of vinyl. I want way wider than than that and thought I would need to go commercial and costly can you help if I supply drawings?

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got access to a Camm1 with a mtr bed but my friend only has 610mm rolls of vinyl. I want way wider than than that and thought I would need to go commercial and costly can you help if I supply drawings?

Dick

Up to about 1250mm. The only issue would be getting them to you as they really need to be transported flat.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Many thanks for your kind offer Nick but someone has given me a lead on a plastic colour restorer that they swear will bring them up like new. I am also going to try it on my yellowing interior plastic and will will post verdict. Won't be for a week or two though.

Dick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Up to about 1250mm. The only issue would be getting them to you as they really need to be transported flat.

Ive had large graphics posted inside large cardboard tubes your local carpet shop will gladly give em away

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ive had large graphics posted inside large cardboard tubes your local carpet shop will gladly give em away

I know you can do that and I have loads of tubes but I don't really like sending graphics that way.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi can you give us a lead on colour restorer as we have the same probs
many thanks .
Many thanks for your kind offer Nick but someone has given me a lead on a plastic colour restorer that they swear will bring them up like new. I am also going to try it on my yellowing interior plastic and will will post verdict. Won't be for a week or two though.

Dick

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Spring in the air, got the gear out and am in the middle of the annual wash and polish of the van. The large hymer decals, although holding on well, are looking very tired colour wise. Wife has suggested that we mask them and spray them with this.

http://www.vinyldye.co.uk/All-Vinyl-Dye-Color-Sprays

What do you think? Has anyone done it? There are all vinyl aren’t they?

Dick
Dick, you sir are a hero, I've been looking for a product like that for sometime, thanks dude

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I designed my own graphics for 'Billy Bob'
IMG_2039.JPG
and had a local company produce them from the PDF files I supplied