LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There anyone know what is the rule when walking on the roof of a motorhome, do you need a board or something to spread the weight, I think I read somewhere not to walk near the edge or near the front, but I would of thought the edge was the strongest part. I’m not light by any means when I first saw the motorhome I thought will that Omistor step take my weight, so before I go and hold a rave on top of my motorhome I would like a bit of friendly advice. :)

Many Thanks Tony

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
When I go up I tread lightly and try to stay around where I know the structure inside goes from ceiling to floor such as a wardrobe wall etc and not in the middle of open areas. If that makes sense?

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
One thing that always amazes me, it looks twice as far back down as it looks up from the ground
Hi David Yes I did go up the ladder this afternoon but not onto the roof, I never used to have virtigo but I did feel a little uncomfortable. :sick:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'd be inclined to use spreader boards to go onto the roof personally. I try not to go up there, and haven't felt the need to yet! Cleaning is achieved with a long brush, everything else has been done by other people! :D

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I go up on the roof of our Hymer to clean it once or twice a year. I avoid going to near the skylight as a rule. I feel pretty safe, but watch out when you put any detergent down as it can get quite slippery!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I try not to go up there, and haven't felt the need to yet! Cleaning is achieved with a long brush
Hi Daniel
Sounds good to me, as you probably know from my previous posts Im sorting my power out and i need to check out my solar panel to see if it's working, hence the roof walk, I think I've got the correct wires inside which obviously come through the roof but when I put a meter across them I only get 1volt not sure how these work, I know they are contoled so they don't overcharge but are they controled at the solar panel or in the EC325 control unit.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
One thing that always amazes me, it looks twice as far back down as it looks up from the ground :)

It is more than twice as far down as up. You are 6 foot tall the top is ten foot= four foot difference stand on top and you are 6 foot above 10 foot.=16 and that 4 X higher??? Lie on the ground looking up and lie on the top looking down it is the same. I think???!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi Daniel
Sounds good to me, as you probably know from my previous posts Im sorting my power out and i need to check out my solar panel to see if it's working, hence the roof walk, I think I've got the correct wires inside which obviously come through the roof but when I put a meter across them I only get 1volt not sure how these work, I know they are contoled so they don't overcharge but are they controled at the solar panel or in the EC325 control unit.
To be honest, I'd be taking your van to a pro to sort this out. @eddievanbitz (other motorhome accessory fitters are available) had a huge gantry thingy to do roof work, he can do all the testing, and advise you on what needs doing. You also get to stay for free on their site while the work goes on :D
If you're getting 1 volt, I'm guessing that something is amiss. Today in the sunshine our panel was pushing 14v to the battery at 5.5amps, regulated by the controller.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Walk on the roof of my Hymer without problems, should be OK providing it is a bonded construction I wouldn't risk it on a UK van a lot aren't bonded construction.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
To be honest, I'd be taking your van to a pro to sort this out. @eddievanbitz (other motorhome accessory fitters are available) had a huge gantry thingy to do roof work, he can do all the testing, and advise you on what needs doing.

I think I might have to do that I live in Southampton and originally someone suggested Southdown motorhomes as they had very good service, but they can't fit me in until early June, I think I'll give vanbitz a ring tomorrow and see if they can do it sooner, I would like a run down that way any way. I become very impatient when I want something done.(y)

Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Something like one of these, as tall as you like. Mine is very stable and I can stand on the top platform without worry.
Hi DBK thanks for that not a bad price too for such a large ladder, I think the 1.8mtr will do me.
Best Wishes Tony

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi There anyone know what is the rule when walking on the roof of a motorhome,
Im hoping it isn't going to be a problem...I'm not this heavy lol
images.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
roof walking rules tend to be
1 only go up there when you really need to
2 maximum weight 75kg
3 walk near the edge where it is strongest
4 avoid weak points like skylight openings and joining strips. if you do, you will disturb the mastic seal and cause a leak later
5 never try walking on the overcab bubble, they crack easily
6 some roofs are reinforced to take a load like a top box or roof rack, but only that small area is reinforced

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
maximum weight 75kg
Hi There thanks for the info, that's me out then, that's weight is just under 12 stone, i'd have to go back quite a few years to when I was anywhere near that weight LOL
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi There anyone know what is the rule when walking on the roof of a motorhome, do you need a board or something to spread the weight, I think I read somewhere not to walk near the edge or near the front, but I would of thought the edge was the strongest part. I’m not light by any means when I first saw the motorhome I thought will that Omistor step take my weight, so before I go and hold a rave on top of my motorhome I would like a bit of friendly advice. :)

Many Thanks Tony
Elf an safely would say you need scaffolding
a risk assessment and method statement

I do believe one of our members had a weeeeee accident
And slipped off think he thought it was a helter skelter
But then he is touched with the daft :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I do believe one of our members had a we accident
And slipped off
I was at a c&cc rally and a pregnant woman fell off the roof of her motorhome whilst loading the topbox. she was rushed to hospital but other than a sprained wrist she and baby were lucky and no issues. thank god she fell on soft grass
her partner was apparently scared of heights if you were wondering why she went up on the roof in the first place

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
she was rushed to hospital but other than a sprained wrist she and baby were lucky and no issues
WOW I hope she did the lottery that week, she was very very lucky and so was the baby. Not sure what I think of the husband, I realize he was afraid of heights but still, should of left the topbox empty whilst she was pregnant.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A friend of mine had a seriously lucky escape, he fell through a large Heki type skylight while working on his roof at a remote location, cut right up the inside of both thighs, would have bled to death if he hadn't reached his mobile and called the ambulance

A ladder up the side is as close as I will get (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think I might have to do that I live in Southampton and originally someone suggested Southdown motorhomes as they had very good service, but they can't fit me in until early June, I think I'll give vanbitz a ring tomorrow and see if they can do it sooner, I would like a run down that way any way. I become very impatient when I want something done.(y)

Many Thanks Tony
We are currently booking end of July, sorry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back