Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I am curious? I have been looking at electric cool boxes and they say 12v and 24v, 24 being 240 so does 12v mean 120v in so far as if I bought stuff in the US when I go will it be suitable for use in the MH with a plug change? If so my purse has gone into hiding.

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
What ever makes you think it is 240v? I would have thought it is 24v, as found in some lorries I believe.
Regards
p-c

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
do you have a link to one you refer.. ?

they are normally 12vDC , some come with a power adapter for mains 240v AC

If buying to use in the van it can only be used when you are driving otherwise it will flatten the battery in no time..

If it has an 240v power adapter, you can of course use on EHU.

If both voltages can be used, typically the blurb will say ..
  • 12V and 230V compatible

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your purse has the right idea.......
If you cant buy anything then you will remain safe.

12v and 24v are battery voltages
240v and 120v are mains voltages.

American goods.......no good whatsoever if you don't have 120v mains in your van, no matter what kind of plug you fit.

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
What ever makes you think it is 240v? I would have thought it is 24v, as found in some lorries I believe.
Regards
p-c
It has a normal UK household plug

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Oh ok it was just a thought, thanks for the info

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
2 of my 12v sockets are apparently the old narrow ones and if US stuff would work it might have been worth upgrading them so now I need to re-think about whether it is worth it as there doesn't seem to be much 12v stuff around

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
THE 12/24 will relate to DC (battery) voltage..
As already said it will be so people know they can also be used within trucks as they are mostly 24v..

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
do you have a link to one you refer.. ?

they are normally 12vDC , some come with a power adapter for mains 240v AC

If buying to use in the van it can only be used when you are driving otherwise it will flatten the battery in no time..

If it has an 240v power adapter, you can of course use on EHU.

If both voltages can be used, typically the blurb will say ..
  • 12V and 230V compatible
It was a Halfords one and it is 12v and 240 compatible but as it needs EHU it would only be of use on campsites so I need to think if I would get enough use to warrant the spend. It is still early days for me and a whole lot to learn. Thanks.

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
For good reason.....with the exception of lighting its all rubbish.
So in essence when wild camping 12v is just for TV, lighting and water pump/heating?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
2 of my 12v sockets are apparently the old narrow ones and if US stuff would work it might have been worth upgrading them so now I need to re-think about whether it is worth it as there doesn't seem to be much 12v stuff around
By "old narrow ones" do you mean a Hella socket, which are like a small cigar lighter socket? If they are they are much better than cigar lighter ones.

My Dometic cool box comes with a lead which can be used in both types of socket, there is a red bit on the plug which comes off so it can be used in a Hella.

I don't know what you mean by not much 12v around. There are lots of 12v cool boxes about and there are three main types of cool box. Gas ones, which can't be used in the vehicle, then there are the thermo-electric ones. These are probably the most common with prices ranging up to about £100. They are not particularly efficient and typically will only cool to around 18°C below ambient so if it won't gets things very cold when it's really hot. Finally, there are the compressor types for which you can expect to pay £300+ but they are very efficient in use of electricity and will chill and even freeze in high ambient temperatures. This is the type we have (Dometic/Waeco CDF 26) and it is superb.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For good reason.....with the exception of lighting its all rubbish.

bit of a sweeping statement John.. plenty of 12v stuff that is excellent .. for example..

I have a 12v Alden satellite dish and sat decoder.. ..not rubbish

12v Garmin .. etc etc etc .... not rubbish..

maybe your car runs on 240 v mains ? :LOL:

12v Cool box.. yes, IMO.. they are indeed rubbish.. . may as well wrap the stuff up in wet newspaper..

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
By "old narrow ones" do you mean a Hella socket, which are like a small cigar lighter socket? If they are they are much better than cigar lighter ones.

My Dometic cool box comes with a lead which can be used in both types of socket, there is a red bit on the plug which comes off so it can be used in a Hella.

I don't know what you mean by not much 12v around. There are lots of 12v cool boxes about and there are three main types of cool box. Gas ones, which can't be used in the vehicle, then there are the thermo-electric ones. These are probably the most common with prices ranging up to about £100. They are not particularly efficient and typically will only cool to around 18°C below ambient so if it won't gets things very cold when it's really hot. Finally, there are the compressor types for which you can expect to pay £300+ but they are very efficient in use of electricity and will chill and even freeze in high ambient temperatures. This is the type we have (Dometic/Waeco CDF 26) and it is superb.
That was how the man in the shop referred to them I asked him about the red bit but he didn't seem to know. So no upgrade required just some good info and the cash saved in making a mistake can go toward a proper cool box if required. I have a small pink electric cool box I was given and when it was on I put the thermometer
In it and noticed it didn't get very cool so was having second thoughts already so this gives clarity ÂŁ300 + or none.
bit of a sweeping statement John.. plenty of 12v stuff that is excellent .. for example..

I have a 12v Alden satellite dish and sat decoder.. ..not rubbish

12v Garmin .. etc etc etc .... not rubbish..

maybe your car runs on 240 v mains ? :LOL:

12v Cool box.. yes, IMO.. they are indeed rubbish.. . may as well wrap the stuff up in wet newspaper..
did you get your inflatable awning are you pleased with it?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
AC/DC different things 12volts DC as in cars vans etc 24Volt DC as lorries and buses to allow higher current flow through same wire sizes for starting Etc..
112 volts AC standard house wiring/ 220 volts for heavy circuits in USA
240 volts AC in Europe Houses 415Volts 3phase for heavy loads in Europe.
Transformer and rectifier to bring AC voltage to 12 volt DC for smaller appliances.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes got back thursday.
hopefully i have brought back a box of sunshine . but will let it out slowly .ha ha .
was the driest winter i have ever known. untill we got up north only had 4 days of rain all winter.
odd quick shower like a kid spraying a water pistol but dont count them days .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
yes got back thursday.
hopefully i have brought back a box of sunshine . but will let it out slowly .ha ha .
was the driest winter i have ever known. untill we got up north only had 4 days of rain all winter.
odd quick shower like a kid spraying a water pistol but dont count them days .
So I've got you to thank for the weather this weekend! It was a bit damp on Friday but today and yesterday have been perfect. I'm at the Portscatho campsite with the Murvi Club on a rally I organised and we couldn't have hoped for better weather at this time of year. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
friday was horrible . if your around call in you cant miss my place roche to victoria .
but back on thread i hardly use 12v these days with solar being so cheap every thing i use is 240v .
do have 12v lights but i do like gas lights . use them all the time when away.

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Thats about it......if it produced heat, hair drier etc, or draws a high current then 12v is a waste of time
great thanks got a better idea now about whats what

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back