Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have spoken to a Hymer Dealer about a new A class that is in their depot and for sale and was told that they would not be able to let me have it for 10 weeks because they have to produce documentation to HMRC that the VAT will be paid and the once that was done DVLC would take week to produce a registration document. I know I could get one from Belgium pay the VAT and get it inspected for less time than that.. Is this Bu****it as they are selling a UK spec vehicle that should not need to be inspected and certified and they are VAT registered so the vehicle is on their books. After they do the paperwork then the van would be put through the workshops for a PDI and I would be able to collect it.. If this is so why the hell do people bother buying new? There must be a very buoyant market to let them do this and get away with it. Paid for at order in full and wait 10 weeks?????? they might well go bust taking everything with them in that time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Keeping it to show people round till they get another one:(

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why not tell them you're thinking of buying one in Belgium or Germany - might get a better price and quicker delivery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Our experience is that it does appear to be a buoyant market in the UK, a limited number of RHD vehicles to sell and plenty of customers willing to buy them. In saying we were happy to buy LHD and buy abroad this simply indicated that we knew much better deals were available and lessened their interest in us as customers. They were right :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sounds like a right load of cods to me too, but the paying for it in full bit and still waiting makes it sounds more suspicious

another good reason for buying used, even if nearly new, or as you say even go abroad (y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Will you get the next one,or the one every man and his dog will have marched in and out of ?. Just a thought.
Tea Bag

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've been told about 3 weeks from delivery to the dealer (the dealer is Geoff Cox and it's a SunLiving by Adria motorhome) to us picking it up and that includes putting on the accessories we want. So if Geoff Cox can do it in 3 weeks why not the dealer you are talking to? Might be worth asking :)

Oh and we pay for ours when we collect it although we have put a small deposit down. It's being built to order for us with RHD, autobox, and bodywork strengthened for the kayak rack. We've been told we can reject it even on hand-over day if it doesn't meet our expectations!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Telling you a load of boll**ks, they have to inform HMRC withing 14 days of importing it and as they are a VAT registered company the VAT will be declared on their next return, as it is RHD as you say does not need a VCS certificate and assuming they are a dealer they can register it online. By the time you get it another 100 people will have tramped through it damaging bits & pieces.
My last imported van took me 30 days to get registered that was LHD and I had grief with DVLA, previous one 5 days. I can't afford UK Hymer prices.:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Really? That's what you get for listening to unscrupulous lying UK dealers...... and your prepared to pay more for this sort of nonsense!:)

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We have just bought a new A class hymer at Peterborough and we have a pick up date of 12th May would have been sooner but this was the 1st hand-over date free.

The salesman put the forms into DVLA on Monday and on Friday he gave me my reg no. so I could get insurance sorted. I think your right they are messing you about, we have just paid a small deposit and balance paid on collection, same as puddleduck.

Liz

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bought a new Hymer on the dealer's forecourt and picked it up in 2 weeks. The 2 weeks was to allow the DVLA to get the V5. The dealer already had a list of registration numbers that were reserved for him which he gave me so that I could choose the one I wanted. The dealer was Becks in Norfolk. What dealer are you using?

I agree with others it is likely that they will use it as a demonstrator model. They may even take it to a few shows as a demonstrator, putting miles on it. They can do that with trade plates.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Like you I would not be happy about this. If you decide to proceed don't pay in full up front. Pay a deposit by credit card and balance on collection. When we bought our van it was moved to the sold van compound and locked up and would not be used to show customers around any more. You have to insist on this. The dealer seems to be taking advantage of you and you need to put your foot down. Tell them that you will buy it only if they adhere to these terms which will be key terms of the contract.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't do dealers, but went a walk round don amotts couple of weeks ago and was amazed after reading posts on here, OK, not hymers I know but he had brand new vans for immediate delivery all over.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Bought a new Hymer on the dealer's forecourt and picked it up in 2 weeks. The 2 weeks was to allow the DVLA to get the V5. The dealer already had a list of registration numbers that were reserved for him which he gave me so that I could choose the one I wanted. The dealer was Becks in Norfolk. What dealer are you using?

I agree with others it is likely that they will use it as a demonstrator model. They may even take it to a few shows as a demonstrator, putting miles on it. They can do that with trade plates.
And then zero the mileometer before you pick it up...effectively 2nd hand :)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They have had £70000+ leave and not return. They are charging a higher price than the Hymer lists seem to show and a damn sight higher than the EEC price, careful studying of the price list and adding the full whack for the extras on board it still didn't match the discounted price offered. I think the dealers are just playing the field as there is a smaller market for RHD.. Belgium looks nice at this time of year for a daytrip to my nearest Hymer Dealer by an hour.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Belgium trip is the sensible option, Hymer claim prices are the same but they stick on £2000 delivery charge, its €500 in the rest of Europe, Belgium dealer looses it in the price, UK dealers cant get anywhere near the discount that Belgium and German dealers offer. Vans that UK dealers bring in for stock tend to be loaded with masses of extras you would never normally order to inflate the price and profit.

If you really want a RHD it is €1500 extra but it will push out the delivery by a few months as they only build a few batches a year.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I will not say who the dealer is as It might just be the SALESMAN I spoke to, I am researching the matter, in the meantime Gertie The Chausson is still gaining miles, She might be going on a trip to Belgium next and very soon, as soon as I get the money from my house sale that is in final moment before completion.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well you went to the right place to buy that van, you wont get stitched up at Becks

Peter

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well you went to the right place to buy that van, you wont get stitched up at Becks

Peter
?????????????? Is that right I will find out tomorrow. I have three dealers all wanting me to pay them and the price is coming down, another one to check tomorrow and see what happens.
My nearest and quickest to get to dealer, is Camparama in Belgium 67 miles from my doorstep, BUT LHD only the cheapest is in Bielefeld.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tell THEM what YOU want.

New delivery contract......in writing.
3 weeks delivery, from order to handover, to you with a late delivery penalty clause of £100 per day over delivery schedule.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I found out today, speaking to another person there, that the van I want is in the Factory being made at the moment and will arrive in a few weeks, it WAS NOT A STOCK item, it was coming soon. At least it would be NEW and not tramped over by everyone and their wife.
However I still want it as soon as Gertie goes to a new home. So I am looking further North to a STOCK item that has been tromped over by 2000000 people at a show or two but a bit cheaper.

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Due to have new Hymer later this month from Heart of England. Date for arriving in Uk given by the dealer as 27th June. We are having 'Gaslow' fitted by the dealer which should only take a morning
We have already picked registration number - we have been told once it arrives in UK needs registering at DVLA - for V5. Anyone know how long this is likely to take?
Waited so long for this Hymer, since 'cock up' in April with TravelWorld - just want to pick up our Hymer and start to travel

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I got mine now at a reasonable price, I have put on all the other bits I needed by myself and that saved a bomb, All ready to go first trip to Ireland after the ref vote.

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
'The Eagle has landed' - down to the DVLA before we get our hands on it.
Hope does not take too long - crossing off the days - will soon be on the road

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well all is coming to fruition now, get it sorted on a short trip just down thr oad or even the garden to make sure you have everything you need without having to go miles to get it.
What did you get in the end Fiat or Merc LP or integral?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back