Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a scooter but as I only have a full car licence, I can only ride a 50cc with a passenger. I have been to the local dealers where I live but cannot get a test drive. Does any-one know whether a 50cc would take myself and wifey or would we be pushing up hills?

Ken.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
It can depend on the make of 50cc scooter, and (no offence) whether the pair of you are thin or larger build.

We have a small 50cc scooter it takes my husband - medium build and our 12 year old son - we reckon our son will have out grown it in a year or two.

Cant understand why a dealer wont let you test ride it. We had no problems when looking around. Offer to test ride it taking the dealer on the back - that will soon test it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Had one, cheapy chinese, didn't like it, everybody and his dog overtakes you, so changed it for a 125cc much better.

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We had a Piaggio 50cc, 30 stone two up Mark and i went to the cash machine in spain frightened him to death
Pammy and i rode up to Mias (mountain village in spain also:thumb: albeit very slow it got us there
The Peugot scooters have the best pulling power
for short shopping trips off the site they will do the job:thumb:
more tha 5-6 miles and you will get bored:Sad:
PS we were in spain in the Rv we didnt ride the scooter there:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We've got a Peugeot 50cc and it manages to get wifey and me around the locality OK when parked up on site. It gets up most hills OK but if you heavier than us (about 18st total) it will struggle up the steeper ones. We got ours from PooleMoto - they are very helpful and let us test it around the local industrial estate.

irlamtrucker

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
stafford
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
hi,
we had a piaggio 50cc scooter for 3 years, the supplier we purchased it from, tweeked it up for us. it went up hills at 50mph with me and wifey on it (24stones) no problem, had top speed on the flat of over 60mph(went off the clock, the clock only went up to 60mph) eventually traded it in at towtal stoke-on-trent for an A frame.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
normally i use a 90cc dax .its small and as carried me and a mate all over the place .im 16 st he is 19st.last year i bought a 50cc one it still carried us but it was slow. great for just running into town when wild camping,makes a good job of going into gibralter for look around etc .not for serious m,biking. these days you have lots choice ,i say go for one with gears n a clutch not twist n go. have fun .cheers alan.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
scooters

Hi I had a 50cc Piaggio deregulated went along very well, but I only ever went solo my wife would not get on (wimp) I have a full set of side panels if you or any one else wants them free as I don't have the piaggio now. Pete:thumb:

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
50cc

We have a honda sh50, bought off fleabay. Takes the two of us 25 stone combined at 30 on the flat perhaps 20-25 mph on hills. It has not been tweaked, it is still legally a moped, beware of modifications as your insurance will be invalid if it is modified to go faster than 30mph..Another advantage is that it only weighs around 85 kg, which is important if you are wathching your payload.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I asked the very same question a few weeks ago (search for the thread) I got some very informative replies (as have you) including some very helpfull PM's.
I did some exhaustive research and shopping incl speaking with various dealers and found the following.......

Chinese ones as advertised on the net for £600 have very poor parts /service backup
4 strokes are not as powerfull as the 2strokes
Peugot and Aprilla etc are over priced.
If possible buy new, used ones have been ragged by spotty youths.

I bought a Piagio Zip 50 2 stroke from a very good dealer in Preston Lancs for £1200 OTR, incl 2 lids, gloves, bike cover and security chain. Had it deristricted as I have a full bike licence from my miss spent youth as a "proper" biker.
Bearing in mind its a 50cc and therefore one has to accept its limitations it handles and perfoms very well considerng, easily pulling me at 13st and copes admirably 2 up with combined weight of 23 stone DISCLAIMER (wifey is still carrying some holiday weight you understand) ::bigsmile:
Obviously it struggles a bit pulling away 2 up if your on a slope and slows up hill but hey its a 50cc. The only other thing to mention is that its a bit cramped when 2 up but we were restricted with the size that would fit into MH garage. It weighs 90kg and is easy to push up the ramp. All in all we have been very very pleased with it and would have no problem reccomending it, and the dealer (pm me if you want the address/web details)
In conclusion the answer is if you get a 2stroke of at least 3KW power and or get it derestricted (dealer will do it for free or £50 tops) then the answer to your question is yes a 50cc will do the job if you accept its limitations and give it a fistfull if your on a hill.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,
we had a piaggio 50cc scooter for 3 years, the supplier we purchased it from, tweeked it up for us. it went up hills at 50mph with me and wifey on it (24stones) no problem, had top speed on the flat of over 60mph(went off the clock, the clock only went up to 60mph) eventually traded it in at towtal stoke-on-trent for an A frame.

no malice or offence intended here but im alway amazed by these dubious claims.

50mph, two up, uphill on a 50cc moped is not possible :Doh:

60mph on the flat is not possible.....the engine will be over-revving well beyond its safe, design limits and WILL sieze.

mild tuning/de-restricting will make no difference to the maximum designed rev limit....its still the maximum rev limit but may add 5 or 6mph to the (indicated) top speed.

crank shaft/flywheel balancing, con-rod polishing, port enlargement and polishing, a tuned exhaust + re-jetting the carb, a hotter plug and fitting a 'free-flow' air filter will give more power and a slightly higher rev limit but will far outcost the bikes value.

as a lad, i had an Italian 'Garelli' 50cc sports moped (same era as the fizzy and honda SS50 and not restricted back then)and that would also do 60mph on the clock down hill so why was i being constantly overtaken in 50mph limit areas?

'cos it wouldnt do a true 50mph, probably nearer to 40mph.

as i said.....no offence or malice intended, purely my view.

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
A class Concorde liner 89
Exp
Since 2011

60mph on the flat is not possible.....the engine will be over-revving well beyond its safe, design limits and WILL sieze.

mild tuning/de-restricting will make no difference to the maximum designed rev limit....its still the maximum rev limit but may add 5 or 6mph to the (indicated) top speed.

crank shaft/flywheel balancing, con-rod polishing, port enlargement and polishing, a tuned exhaust + re-jetting the carb, a hotter plug and fitting a 'free-flow' air filter will give more power and a slightly higher rev limit but will far outcost the bikes value.

as a lad, i had an Italian 'Garelli' 50cc sports moped (same era as the fizzy and honda SS50 and not restricted back then)and that would also do 60mph on the clock down hill so why was i being constantly overtaken in 50mph limit areas?

Those were the days, polishing ports, expansion pipe, tweaking the carb jets and then laying flat on the tank to try and see 55 on the Fizzy speedo:ROFLMAO:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

Ha Ha!

I have to agree. When I was sixteen in 1982 I got my first unrestricted Fizzy (Yamaha FS1E) 50cc. All the lads who were cool (not sure why I had one then) had one and of course we all boasted of 60mph plus. 45 on a good day I think with the wind behind you!

I have to say I did a bit of research into this as a scooter was paramount to us. We opted for a Peugeot Speedfight 100cc (2 stroke) which is a bit of a boy racer bike but has two advantages. firstly its light, only 96KG and secondly it really does go like stink. Im 19st and Michelle is 8 stone and it freuqently hits 60MPH (record 68 down a massive hill). On our last trip we did over 1500 miles on the bike over a 12 week period. 70 miles in a day is not unheard of but is about as much as you would want to do.

I dont think you can really tour safely on a 50cc as you cant keep up with the traffic and will not get up big hills. Only problem is of course for most people you do need a bike licence. Had mine for yonks but I would say its worth getting it if you want to seriously see places from your MH.:Smile:

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
The 50cc moped when deresricted will do 50 to 60 mph its got nothing to do with the rev limit a 2 stroke can rev to 16000rpm, i had 50cc when i was 16 back in 1978 and they was not resricted at that time, they are made to do 50mph but they are resticted for our laws there are 3 items to deresrict ecu to make it higher reving which a 2 stroke can take exhaust and the best one is the variator
Personaly i would not recommend a 50cc for 2 up as its scary you wold be doing 30mph going up hill, i have a piaggio 125 which does 60mph flat out but will pull 2 up a hill at about 50mph, having sold my zx 9 160mph sports bike the scoot seems a tad slow lol

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
Oh dear i thought that the derestricting thing was to do with the youngsters at 16/17 not being able to go more than 30 at a certain age .Mine is a piaggio nrg 50 cc it will do 47 mph on a good day w/out headwind i use it for going to the shops curry etc i take it to spain for running around to villages sightseeing etc with me and the wife on board about 24stone. An hour to your destination is about enough allthough the youngsters will ride them all day age thing i suppose .I did go around cornwall last year and went to them coves where its real tight in a car and hardly wide enough and the wife had to get off and walk up a couple of times but they were steep ,i dont regret buying it {NEW] and although ive had scooters motorbikes and sidecars and rode trials bikes in competitions i never took a test so the 50cc was an easy option good luck p.s i dont ride it in the winter to cold

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a 2 stroke can rev to 16000rpm,

only if its designed to rev to 16000rpm.

i like a challenge.:thumb:.....name one road legal 2 stroke production bike that has 16000rpm on the tacho before the red line.

the redline, whether 2 or 4 stroke is the safe, designed max RPM and should not be exceeded.

iv had a suzuki GT 250, GT 380 and a 750 Kettle....all redlining at around 11000rpm

and a yamaha YDS7 250, YR5 350.....both around the same, 11000rpm.

i also have 6.5, 10 and 15cc model glow 2 stroke engines that will and do rev to 20 to 22000rpm+ but are designed for this sort of speed, and a blackwidow 1.5cc which revved in excess of 28000, that evidently wasnt.:Doh:

incidently, the GT250 snapped the crank at the center bearing on the redline:Eeek:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear i thought that the derestricting thing was to do with the youngsters at 16/17 not being able to go more than 30 at a certain age .Mine is a piaggio nrg 50 cc it will do 47 mph on a good day w/out headwind i use it for going to the shops curry etc i take it to spain for running around to villages sightseeing etc with me and the wife on board about 24stone. An hour to your destination is about enough allthough the youngsters will ride them all day age thing i suppose .I did go around cornwall last year and went to them coves where its real tight in a car and hardly wide enough and the wife had to get off and walk up a couple of times but they were steep ,i dont regret buying it {NEW] and although ive had scooters motorbikes and sidecars and rode trials bikes in competitions i never took a test so the 50cc was an easy option good luck p.s i dont ride it in the winter to cold

not disputing you but is that on the clock or through a speed trap ?

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
Its ok doesnnt botherme thats one up its a digital clock

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i am at abit of a loss here .if o.p. only has a car licence they can only ride a moped . it will be slow they should all be restricted one way or another. if its a two seater i,m sure they will all pull two people .slowly , does it matter its only for a little shopping come sight seeing. i think after about ten miles you will want to get off. its not for miles n miles. like i said earlier i,ve used a 50cc dax chinese lifan. very light carry two at a push. we are on holiday go slow keep it slow last for ever . if you want to go fast get a real bike . untill then drive slowly enjoy the ride look at the view, let the rest pass you you have all day.have fun. cheers alan.

ps. how long does it take to drive to gibralter in a camper?
at least 6weeks.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Agree with vwalan. As many of us have stated you have to accept a 50cc's limitations. They are ideal for there intended use ie.5mile trips to the shops or a trip out around the countryside, so there cramped and you will want to stop every 10 miles or so for a stretch but so what your on holiday.... stop often, have a smoke and look at the scenery.

For the record my unrestricted 50cc piaggio zip will do 45mph on the flat. (might do a bit more when its run in but prob only 48mph) Remember that most if not all scoots are in kph this may be why some folk reckon they can do 60mph up hill. I am with "papajon" on this one even fissies in the late seventys when I was a lad wouldnt really do 60mph no matter what you did to em. they just had rubbish clocks on em. ::bigsmile:
Ian
PS- Anyway do you REALLY want to go faster than 40mph on a scooter ??????

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
This thread has got me feeling all nostalgic. Seems like yesterday I was bombing around on my Fizzy. I remember when I was just 16 me and a pal (neither of us were lightweights) going all the way up to Tan Hill on mine. Graham, my friend had to get off and push on a couple of the hills. Eventually we got to the inn and it felt like quite an achievement (lived in Darlington at the time which is about a 45 mile run, most of it uphill). We immediately downed a couple of pints and started chatting up the barmaid. She couldn’t change the beer barrels and was on her own so we offered to help her out for which she gave us free beer all afternoon. Afterwards, quite drunkenly we sped off down towards Reith. Half way down the road is a large humpback bridge which we flew at. The bike picked up speed a bit on the other side which was largely due to Graham (my pal) flying off on the bridge and now rolling away down the valley. This caused much amusement and I had to stop for a while to control the hysterics. Somehow we eventually got back home in once piece and it remains a very fond memory and a story that is frequently told when ever the old pals get back together.

Anyone wishing to rant about how it was illegal to be two up and P.ss.d in charge of a fizzy feel free but despite the fact that I wouldn’t dream of doing this sort of thing now, somehow looking back it just seems right.

Attached is a pic of the good old Fizzy (same model and colour as mine). Just a thought if you’re thinking of getting a 50cc scooter for the van they weight only 70KG I think and you can still get hold of them, they are a little pricy though!

Link Removed

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
One for pappjohn r6 16000 red line on a four stroke should top out at 144mph my zx9 16000rpm topped out at 166mph most 2 strokes rev more than fours
This is a small statment taken from a motorcross web site

A mechanically sound motocross two-stroke could safely rev to near 20,000 rpm before excessive piston acceleration caused the engine to fail. There is no need for a rev limiter, because you aren't going to damage it with revs.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say it brings back memories as well i was not caught by the moped law first bike BSA c15 250 changed it for a suzuki 110cc much faster. habve had lots never been without a bike .i now have 90cc dax ,110cc dax. suzuki 250 grasstracker,kawasaki 1500cc drifter. now if you want comfort ,i have ridden the drifter 500mls in one day then got off n partied. you pay your money take your choice. need more gets lonely with out bikes. cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One for pappjohn r6 16000 red line on a four stroke should top out at 144mph my zx9 16000rpm topped out at 166mph most 2 strokes rev more than fours
This is a small statment taken from a motorcross web site

A mechanically sound motocross two-stroke could safely rev to near 20,000 rpm before excessive piston acceleration caused the engine to fail. There is no need for a rev limiter, because you aren't going to damage it with revs.

ok wizza, you win but, and theres always a but::bigsmile:, these engines are built and designed to rev like hell, just like my model glowplug engines.....a little 50cc Piaggio aint.

i reckon if they were they'de do the best part of 80mph easy.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
must say it brings back memories as well i was not caught by the moped law first bike BSA c15 250 changed it for a suzuki 110cc much faster. habve had lots never been without a bike .i now have 90cc dax ,110cc dax. suzuki 250 grasstracker,kawasaki 1500cc drifter. now if you want comfort ,i have ridden the drifter 500mls in one day then got off n partied. you pay your money take your choice. need more gets lonely with out bikes. cheers alan.

cheers alan, that really makes me feel old now.

that was also my first 'proper' bike and cost me £15....2 weeks wages:Eeek:.

managed to take the top of the piston at the oil ring and wrecked the engine.....no probs, just stick a triumph trophy 250cc motor in.....exactly the same except the triumph had a square finned cylinder and head and a little more (or did i imagine it ?) power. :Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This thread has got me feeling all nostalgic. Seems like yesterday I was bombing around on my Fizzy. I remember when I was just 16 me and a pal (neither of us were lightweights) going all the way up to Tan Hill on mine. Graham, my friend had to get off and push on a couple of the hills. Eventually we got to the inn and it felt like quite an achievement (lived in Darlington at the time which is about a 45 mile run, most of it uphill). We immediately downed a couple of pints and started chatting up the barmaid. She couldn’t change the beer barrels and was on her own so we offered to help her out for which she gave us free beer all afternoon. Afterwards, quite drunkenly we sped off down towards Reith. Half way down the road is a large humpback bridge which we flew at. The bike picked up speed a bit on the other side which was largely due to Graham (my pal) flying off on the bridge and now rolling away down the valley. This caused much amusement and I had to stop for a while to control the hysterics. Somehow we eventually got back home in once piece and it remains a very fond memory and a story that is frequently told when ever the old pals get back together.

Anyone wishing to rant about how it was illegal to be two up and P.ss.d in charge of a fizzy feel free but despite the fact that I wouldn’t dream of doing this sort of thing now, somehow looking back it just seems right.

Attached is a pic of the good old Fizzy (same model and colour as mine). Just a thought if you’re thinking of getting a 50cc scooter for the van they weight only 70KG I think and you can still get hold of them, they are a little pricy though!

Link Removed

16 years old, in a pub getting pissed and then trying to ride home......

those were the good old days.

No 'are you over 18' ID nonsense, plod didnt care how much you'd had unless you had an accident or looked like you were going to have one and feeling like you'd just ridden from lands end to john'o'groats non-stop.:Cool::thumb:

nostalgia.....its all in the past:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back