LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
A quick question to the oracle, can you easily adjust the headlights for European use (on a UK spec van) or is it a case of those horible sticky things:Blush:

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Regards Richard

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ahhhh, just leave the spanners in the tool box and stick a bit of tape on them

Jim
:winky:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Make sure they are put on well big fine here in Spain if one comes of.:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Make sure they are put on well big fine here in Spain if one comes of.:Cool:

Sorry Ken, only joking, I know its an important subject. To be honest I stuck them on so well that I coudnt get them off last year.

Jim
:Smile:

robandwendy

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YEARS
Ford Transit Headlights

As far as I am aware, (having worked in the Southampton plant as a repair man) you cannot set the headlamps for foreign use and will have to stick tape on them.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Or get head lamp protectors and stick the stickers on them....you can then use them again and again.......

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
How old is your Transit?

My mate has a Transit based campervan which is '98 spec and his lights are adjustable from inside the cab. He just lowers his and he's never had any problems.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How old is your Transit?

My mate has a Transit based campervan which is '98 spec and his lights are adjustable from inside the cab. He just lowers his and he's never had any problems.

Thats just the load height adjustment most cars and vans have this.......still run the chance of getting nicked abroad if you dont dip in the right direction

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thats just the load height adjustment most cars and vans have this.......still run the chance of getting nicked abroad if you dont dip in the right direction
He's driven it to and from Spain three or four times a year for the past six years. Never a problem.

If the beam is too high or blinding oncoming drivers it won't be the Police who will let you know.....it will be locals within five minutes of you leaving the Ferry port!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
"Headlamp converters are compulsory"

entirely up to you...But why take the risk of a fine and the associated hassle for the sake of a couple of bits of plastic.........

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
As far as I am aware, (having worked in the Southampton plant as a repair man) you cannot set the headlamps for foreign use and will have to stick tape on them.

Robs right on this having also worked at the plant in the same area, the head lights are put into the van with LH or RH drive lights for the relevant country, there is some adjustment through two white allenkey adjusters on either light housing but these are for setting lights up as you would for an MOT.

so plastic covers do it best.

Cheers Bigfish (Ex IMT) ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
"Headlamp converters are compulsory"
As are GB plates/stickers yet i lost count of brit registered cars without them.

Personally i use a few strips of black insulation tape on my headlights. Job sorted and costs nothing except a bit of time.

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
After a couple of days touring France I realised we had lost 1 of these little blighters and had to use the mother of necessity (invention) after scouring the Van I managed to fashion another using the plastic handle from a carrier bag (opaque type) Morrisons, and some clear 50 mm adhesive tape JOB DONE.:thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got beam deflectors ,stuck that well they been on 5 years :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I'm still trying to get the sticky stuff off the plastic lights on my car from July 2008. Scared to use nail varnish remover or similar as I would usually on sticky stuff, in case it ruins the plastic.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My van is a 2007 LHD Ford EuraMobil. I bought some headlight protectors and fitted them but not a clue how to fit the beam benders so they are still in the van...:winky:

My question is..... when the first MOT is due in March 2010, will I get away with the beam benders? or will I have to change the headlights for RHD units:Sad:

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
We put ours on as we were waiting in the queue to get on the ferry outbound. To remove sticky stuff after removing the beam benders, we used a bit of kitchen roll and some concentrated screen wash, waiting to get on the ferry to come home, worked for us. it was on advise from one of the motorhome forums, just can't remember which one.

regards

Karen

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i dont bother to do anything , years ago used to use tape . dont drive much at night ,never been stopped about it. keep fingers crossed . if i was i,d put tape on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back