Anyone use a GPS dog tracker? (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Milo our new rescue dog is doing very well at picking up basic commands (amazing what you can do with a shedload of treats).

But he has a strong chase instinct and bundles of energy and we know it will be a very long time before he can be trusted off lead (maybe not ever which is a very sad thought). If anything spooked him or he caught the scent of a cat or fox he'd be off like a shot.

Obviously we take great care that he doesn't escape but we're considering a tracker for emergencies, especially as we'll be taking him to Europe. Does anyone use a tracker for their dog? If so, what brand etc and do you have to pay a monthly fee or can you monitor it free online? I'm a bit confused by what I've read.

Any help appreciated.

Karen

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I never knew such things existed but what a great idea. Whatever will they think of next :)

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hi,

Ooh, good question as we've been looking into a tracker. There seem to be quite a few on the market, but we were holding off because our mobile phone network provider (EE) have been talking about bringing one out very soon.
Linking it with our mobiles would make more sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't think this would be any good for pets in practice but good for finding keys!

Might do what you want?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Family bought one for our dog at Christmas. Managed to read the instructions, switch it on and attach to his collar. Registered him online. This took about 20 mins by which time he had chewed it to pieces so another 5 mins de-registering. All over in less than half an hour.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
We use Pod Tracker, great little robust unit. Used via an app, the pod is attached to the collar and is small enough not to be a discomfort to your pet. There are other units available but we liked the compactness and were impressed by the support offered BT the manufacturer.

The tracker uses both GSM & GPS but does require a GSM signal to work as it will send a number of texts with your pets location to your phone. We have a working cocker and have used the Pod to successfully locate him on the occasion he decides to go off.

The app has various other functions enabling you to track your dogs activities a bit like a Fitbit does for us humans as well as being able to set up a safety zone, which the app will notify you if your pet leaves this area.

Conclusion, we wouldn't be without it!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We use Pod Tracker, great little robust unit. Used via an app, the pod is attached to the collar and is small enough not to be a discomfort to your pet. There are other units available but we liked the compactness and were impressed by the support offered BT the manufacturer.

The tracker uses both GSM & GPS but does require a GSM signal to work as it will send a number of texts with your pets location to your phone. We have a working cocker and have used the Pod to successfully locate him on the occasion he decides to go off.

The app has various other functions enabling you to track your dogs activities a bit like a Fitbit does for us humans as well as being able to set up a safety zone, which the app will notify you if your pet leaves this area.

Conclusion, we wouldn't be without it!
That's this one I think (£139):
A cheaper alternative is this one, but the reviews are mixed: Amazon product ASIN B00F8A1ZBA

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I'm going to get one for Colin, can never find him on a site or aire, he's always off talking to someone about fixing something!!

Yesterday I told him lunch would be ready in 15 minutes as he walked off, an hour later he came back to a cold lunch and me eaten and ready to go out, with my best scowlie face on! o_O:swear2::doh:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We bought one of these not for our Charlie but it comes with a waterproof case to
Clip in a belt etc it's small light & cheap.

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
Dogs should be on a lead, especially on a campsite. Loose dogs cause many a traffic scare, scaring young children (and some adults) and p.. and s... unsupervised. I say, no GPS-need with a lead.:getmecoat:

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
I did read the original post, Karen and I'm sorry for hijacking it. I got carried away, having in my time seen horrific dog related accidents, people who have this uncontrolable fear of dogs and the poo on sites and streets. Apologies again, Karen. Kind regards, Hans.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Has Milo got some Saluki in him (just going on the markings) if so I'd try anything that would be of help in case he does get carried away with himself........have you read Walking Ollie?:LOL:

Best of luck - lovely pic:)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@stuurman Hans, we have the same view regarding dog owners who don't act responsibly, unfortunately they give us all a bad name :(

@Debs no idea what his heritage is :D but he sure can run hence my enquiry. Hubby had an incident earlier today when they met 2 horses on a bridal path, Milo was very unhappy and tried desperately to get away.

We are of course working to calm him in these situations but I think this confirms a tracker would be useful and give us some peace of mind.

Karen

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
@stuurman Hans, we have the same view regarding dog owners who don't act responsibly, unfortunately they give us all a bad name :(

@Debs no idea what his heritage is :D but he sure can run hence my enquiry. Hubby had an incident earlier today when they met 2 horses on a bridal path, Milo was very unhappy and tried desperately to get away.

We are of course working to calm him in these situations but I think this confirms a tracker would be useful and give us some peace of mind.

Karen

Hi Karen,
Having a rescue dog also, we had the same fear with her slipping her lead etc and purchased a harness. It's a ruffwear one, designed for houdinis. Not sure if you use a harness, but I can highly recommend it. I feel very secure in the knowledge that Faith can't get away from me if she goes over threshold for any reason.
:)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Debs I've bought that book for my kindle, looks funny!

@rosierose He has a harness for travelling. We've had some lessons from a police dog trainer and his methods are lead-based so we haven't as yet used it for walks. But safety is more important until he can be trusted not to react like that.

Karen

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Karen,
Having a rescue dog also, we had the same fear with her slipping her lead etc and purchased a harness. It's a ruffwear one, designed for houdinis. Not sure if you use a harness, but I can highly recommend it. I feel very secure in the knowledge that Faith can't get away from me if she goes over threshold for any reason.
:)
J

We have a rescue working cocker spaniel, as she was escaping from her harness when left in the car we bought a Ruffwear harness, guess what - she can somehow get out of it!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
J

We have a rescue working cocker spaniel, as she was escaping from her harness when left in the car we bought a Ruffwear harness, guess what - she can somehow get out of it!
Oh my! Well I have no answer for that....are you sure that it's fitted correctly? I've been in some hairy situations with my dog and the grab handle is brilliant. There's no way she could get out of it. Perhaps a different model to mine?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Debs I've bought that book for my kindle, looks funny!

@rosierose He has a harness for travelling. We've had some lessons from a police dog trainer and his methods are lead-based so we haven't as yet used it for walks. But safety is more important until he can be trusted not to react like that.

Karen
I enjoyed it but it made me realise I could never own (be owned by is more like it) a Saluki :LOL:

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
He has a harness for travelling. We've had some lessons from a police dog trainer and his methods are lead-based so we haven't as yet used it for walks.

Karen

You could think about having the harness on him while walking, with a lead a little longer than the one you use on his collar. Use all your lead-based techniques from the police dog trainer, but the harness & additional lead is there is there as a safety if necessary.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Debs

I enjoyed the book and it made me realise how lucky we are with Milo in many ways. Poor Ollie.

Although today, about 5 weeks after we adopted him, he's decided to start lunging and barking at cars! Another one for the behaviourist.

Karen

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Debs

I enjoyed the book and it made me realise how lucky we are with Milo in many ways. Poor Ollie.

Although today, about 5 weeks after we adopted him, he's decided to start lunging and barking at cars! Another one for the behaviourist.

Karen
I think he became quite a celebrity. After your post the other day I found the blog (google leaving ollie)......be warned - I was in tears.

Hope Milo relaxes & starts to trust, I'm sure he will - you just need patience :)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Debs I've had a quick look at the blog :cry: I think I'll have to read it when I'm on my own and no chance of being disturbed!

We both have a lot of patience and prepared to put in the work with Milo because he's worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back