Fridge on Gas - Won't stay lit! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Electrolux fridge on our 2002 B544 working fine under battery on the road and on EHU but although it will light on gas the igniter just keeps clicking away. Could do with it working for some forthcoming Wild Camping in Scotland and the Isles but even if I manage to get it out I wouldn't really know what to be looking for to remedy it.

Only have the one top vent outside on rear wall, the lower vent is in the floor. I can see how to disconnect gas and it looks like three screws on either side in the front holding it it place. Is there anything else or does it just need a good push from behind and the front?

I was thinking about getting a mobile fitter out to take a look...live in Nottingham, good idea? any recommendations?

Cheers Dave

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally a very tight fit and if you can't get at the rear a real pig to get out.

It probably needs a new thermocouple, may be able to replace it without taking the fridge out, if you can get at it from underneath. Then the other end should connect to the control valve behind the front panel. That is if it is the type of fridge that I am assuming it is. May not be possible to do it that way with a double floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Electrolux fridge on our 2002 B544 working fine under battery on the road and on EHU but although it will light on gas the igniter just keeps clicking away. Could do with it working for some forthcoming Wild Camping in Scotland and the Isles but even if I manage to get it out I wouldn't really know what to be looking for to remedy it.

Only have the one top vent outside on rear wall, the lower vent is in the floor. I can see how to disconnect gas and it looks like three screws on either side in the front holding it it place. Is there anything else or does it just need a good push from behind and the front?

I was thinking about getting a mobile fitter out to take a look...live in Nottingham, good idea? any recommendations?

Cheers Dave
When did you last have it serviced !!!! Could be just needing a service as mine acted exactly the same as yours and had it serviced and bingo works perfect now !!!!!! Regards Garry flatpackchicken

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
First try cleaning the thermocouple tip -it may be coked over. The jet can be blown through with compressed air from a can ( computer air spray-poundland)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I had the same problem and tried all the tips above - clean it out, give it a service, replace the jet, replace the thermocouple - non of it worked.

What was wrong with mine was that the selector switch that changes between 240v, 12v and gas was faulty. When it was replaced everything worked ok. My only other option would have been to replace the controller into which the thermocouple feeds, that would have been much more expensive than the selector switch.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Never had it serviced in the five years we've had the van...:rolleyes:, it's always been a bit of a pig to get going on gas! I've had the flu off and cleaned that but that's about it. The receipts from early on show it's been a problem in the past on gas. I'll endeavour to try to remove it and have a look around taking on all the good advice. The hob is directly above the fridge...does that need to be lifted off to get the fridge out?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You may need to remove the hob in order to disconnect the electric cables. The 12v feed goes to a block on the top left above the power source knob. Hopefully there will be enough slack in the cables to allow you to pull the fridge forward. The gas connection should be accessible through the top vent at the left side looking in.
I am assuming you have a similar fridge to mine - Electrolux / Dometic 97 litre.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I had a similar problem. It turns out the van needs to be fairly level, within 3 degrees. So I turned the van round and now all is fine. Might be worth a try.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I'll endeavour to try to remove it and have a look around taking on all the good advice. The hob is directly above the fridge...does that need to be lifted off to get the fridge out?

There is no need to remove the hob.

There are internal screws inside the fridge holding it to the surrounds, take those out. You will also need to disconnect the gas, you can do that through the external vent, it is on the top left as you look at the vent from the rear of the Hymer. You can then work the fridge out, it will require a bit of pushing, pulling and jiggling, how much depends a bit on how often it has been out before.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I've had the six (three either side) screws out once before and I've disconnected the gas connection but I couldn't get it to budge by just pulling from the inside. I didn't try too hard in fear of making a bigger problem! I'll have another play over the weekend. Interesting @glenn2926, as I have found that when the nose is pointing skywards it tends to fire up first attempt! Just a very temperamental little so and so!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It needs cleaning and servicing, simple as that. Van being level or not won't affect whether or not it lights and stays lit, it may affect its cooling ability but not the lighting of the flame. In 11 years of running my own business dealing with motorhomes I've replaced one fridge thermocouple and that didn't solve the problem, in that particular instance it was the energy selector switch that was at fault. I have yet to see a failed thermocouple on a fridge. Removing the hob gives much better access to everything fridge related and isn't particularly difficult so I'd take the hob our first, then the fridge.

D.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Don't forget that the fridge is sealed, not just screwed in place. I once asked a Dometic approved engineer why he carried a bread knife in his toolkit - "to cut through the sealant that some manufacturers use" was the reply!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do cringe when I hear folk asking for help fixing devices that generate Carbon Monoxide, OK in an emergency while on site, but they really should be checked and serviced by someone qualified for the work

Please also check your CO monitor is working, particularly if you do 'fix' the fridge yourself o_O

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I do cringe when I hear folk asking for help fixing devices that generate Carbon Monoxide, OK in an emergency while on site, but they really should be checked and serviced by someone qualified for the work

Please also check your CO monitor is working, particularly if you do 'fix' the fridge yourself o_O

I can understand your concern David and my CO detector is working fine. But does it not also come down to the level of competence of the individual? No harm surely in picking the brains of some of the very knowledgeable members on the forum, from where I will decide if I'm capable or not. I wouldn't attempt anything more than giving it a clean out as I'm sure the bottom area of the fridge will be pretty grubby.

I'm afraid I'm also pretty sceptical with regards to those and I emphasise SOME, 'qualified' to do the work having been on the receiving end of some pretty shoddy workmanship over the years.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just a quick follow up and a big thanks for the help and good advice from @Lenny HB, @scotjimland ,@dave newell las and everyone else that contributed to my thread.

I didn't need to take it out in the end; removing the gauze vent set into the floor beneath the fridge enabled me to see that there is a cover on the rear wall behind the fridge and below the top vent but out of sight behind the bumper. Once all off, it was fairly straightforward to remove the burner and give it a good clean. Quite a build up of soot was evident. Put it all back together and it's now working as it should. So big thanks once again!

P1140551.jpg P1140553.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back