Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
This last winter in Spain we experienced problems filling out 85L gas tank. Two of our regular stations could get no gas into the tank. (Melinos Marfagones and Vera on two separate attempts) Caravanas Lorca managed. We went back to Vera and failed again,. This time Caravanas Lorca were out of gas so we finished up in Cartagina at the Shell station next to the Aire in Cartagena where we managed to fill up on three occasions.

At Vera Chris offered to post out a new part, so that we could get it fitted locally but this wasn't needed after Caravans Lorca filled us up. It was Christmas so I decided to try plan B and travel on spec to Caravans Lorca. Getting a part fitted could have been problematic due to the tight gas regime operated in Spain. We did call at Hispavan near Vera, but he said he would have to get a licenced Repsol fitter in to do any gas work. He has to do this even on the new vans he has for hire to comply with the Spanish requirements.

We arranged to go into Carlton Miniott on Thursday morning and parked nearby a couple of days early. I had estimated we were using 3 Litre of gas per day and could last until Thursday but with the cold snap we ran out on the Tuesday night. Next morning (Wednesday) we went to Autogas2000 to get some gas to tide us over. Instead John set to and had the new parts fitted in 20 minutes. We filled up and went on our way very grateful for the service that was provided.

Thanks again Chris and John

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This last winter in Spain we experienced problems filling out 85L gas tank. Two of our regular stations could get no gas into the tank. (Melinos Marfagones and Vera on two separate attempts) Caravanas Lorca managed. We went back to Vera and failed again,. This time Caravanas Lorca were out of gas so we finished up in Cartagina at the Shell station next to the Aire in Cartagena where we managed to fill up on three occasions.

At Vera Chris offered to post out a new part, so that we could get it fitted locally but this wasn't needed after Caravans Lorca filled us up. It was Christmas so I decided to try plan B and travel on spec to Caravans Lorca. Getting a part fitted could have been problematic due to the tight gas regime operated in Spain. We did call at Hispavan near Vera, but he said he would have to get a licenced Repsol fitter in to do any gas work. He has to do this even on the new vans he has for hire to comply with the Spanish requirements.

We arranged to go into Carlton Miniott on Thursday morning and parked nearby a couple of days early. I had estimated we were using 3 Litre of gas per day and could last until Thursday but with the cold snap we ran out on the Tuesday night. Next morning (Wednesday) we went to Autogas2000 to get some gas to tide us over. Instead John set to and had the new parts fitted in 20 minutes. We filled up and went on our way very grateful for the service that was provided.

Thanks again Chris and John
We had a problem filling our system last year in Spain. Fortunately, or perhaps not, the fault cleared itself eventually. However, the "perhaps" bit is we never knew what the problem was and therefore it might reoccur.

Do you know what parts they replaced? When I spoke with Autogas2000 at the time they suggested the fault might be the valve at the filler.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Glad you got sorted.
You say you "filled up" 3 times, with an 85L tank. That's a lotta gas used!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We are full timing in a Hymer S700. We only use sites/camperstops to dump and get fresh water or for a quick battery top up overnight on hook up. We don't eat out, all meals are cooked in the van. We use the heating, that is why it is fitted to the van. Water is heated by gas. We also have a LPG generator which we use infrequently. Fridge is on gas 24/7.

I was on a site with metered hook-ups last week and used 75p to 90p of electric per day (Battery charging, fridge and water heating) before setting off to Carlton Miniott.

This means we use about 1,100 of gas, yes one thousand one hundred litres, per year. This figure is an average over the last 6 years which included winter in Spain where we used about 2 litres a day to last week in the UK where we used close on 4 litres per day.

This is not unexpected use as I used a 47kg bottle per month living full time in a caravan.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Autogas2000..
Proper old school work and customer ethics...
Top notch people who always go the extra mile if you need any help at all..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We had a problem filling our system last year in Spain. Fortunately, or perhaps not, the fault cleared itself eventually. However, the "perhaps" bit is we never knew what the problem was and therefore it might reoccur.

Do you know what parts they replaced? When I spoke with Autogas2000 at the time they suggested the fault might be the valve at the filler.

It was the float/80% cut out valve in the tank that was sticking. (Same problem as you seem to have). It is located behind the gauge on the tank. We has a slight leak back after filling about 3 times last year which cleared itself up. This was a slight vapour leak after the initial rush on releasing the nozzle. This cleared if I put the Spanish Filler adapter with a non return valve in and drove for a while. John at Autogas2000 checked it and couldn't find a fault. We filled up in the UK before heading to Spain and when down to under a quarter tank (red light on) we found we couldn't get the pump at Melinos Marfagones to open the valve. We were heading for Vera, so called there and the same thing happened. Out of desperation I drove up to Lorca and fortunately that pump pushed the valve off its seat. The next fill we went to Vera, only to find the same problem of the valve refusing to come off its seat. We noticed that there was a vibration (very noisy) when filling, for some time before the problem became serious.

We found the pump at Cartagena worked, so arranged to be at the Aire when the tank needed topping up.

I don't know if it was wear and tear as we had put in excess of 10,000 litres through the tank or grit getting in that caused the leak.

There are two types of valve, a 90degree and a 105degree valve. Chris had the 105 degree valve in stock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back