More electrics help please!!! (1 Viewer)

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ok this whole electric thing is driving me CRAZY, I bought 2 MH handbooks read them thoroughly and still dont understand the electric/battery stuff!

In a nutshell, we were evacuated from our house due to terrible wildfires a few weeks ago and had to move our vehicles (and ourselves) elsewhere for nearly 3 weeks. Our MH (Chausson Welcome 1997 on a Ford Chassis) has been unplugged/unhooked for that time, (we usually have it hooked to up to the house power). We are now back in the house and planning a trip in the MH next week, I plugged back in to the power today, the circuit for the sockets, fridge etc are working but all the lights and control panel etc are not working. Is my leisure battery buggered or does it need to be hooked up a while to re charge??

Also my leisure battery is in the engine compartment along with the engine battery, however, (please dont laugh) I have no idea which is which, they both look the same except one is 60Ah and one is 70Ah.

There is what looks like the battery charger located under a rear seat and also have no idea how that works!!

I am getting so frustrated with this and due to where we live (South East Spain) there are no dealers anywhere nearby where I could go for help.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!:cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi it sounds like you have a flat possibly dead leisure battery. a simple way to tell which battery is which is to disconnect one at a time. and see which one starts the engine. That one will probabbly have the thickest cables on it. Next check the fluid levels on the batteries, you have been keeping an eye on them haven't you?
Some vans have a switch that lets you charge either engine or leisure battery, and some automatically charge both. Do do not mention if you were living in the van whilst away for those 3 weeks, if you were and things were ok then maybe the battery just needs charging, but if left flat too long it may well be too late. So
first identify the Leisure battery
Check fluid levels
Recharge with a seperate charger if need be
check charge state with a hydrometer ( get one from a garage)
ASAP meet up with some other motorhomers who can help you sort out how the charging system works if you don't have a manual.
As a last resort, well first as far as I'm concerned send me a plane ticket and I will fly out with my test equipment and sort it out for you, just expences will cover it, hee hee.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

It could be something as simple as a blown fuse on the lighting circut. I cant see a shore line hook up not supplying power to this and everything else in your van.

Your leasure batteries should only be needed when you are not hooked up.

Do you have a generator, if so try that, if its the same again it sounds a simple as a fuse.

From the way that you describe your batteries it sounds as though you have two leisure batteries with your engine battery being somwhere else.

There are a few good leccy guys on here so I'm sure that you will get the answer.

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Hi it sounds like you have a flat possibly dead leisure battery. a simple way to tell which battery is which is to disconnect one at a time. and see which one starts the engine. That one will probabbly have the thickest cables on it. Next check the fluid levels on the batteries, you have been keeping an eye on them haven't you?
Some vans have a switch that lets you charge either engine or leisure battery, and some automatically charge both. Do do not mention if you were living in the van whilst away for those 3 weeks, if you were and things were ok then maybe the battery just needs charging, but if left flat too long it may well be too late. So
first identify the Leisure battery
Check fluid levels
Recharge with a seperate charger if need be
check charge state with a hydrometer ( get one from a garage)
ASAP meet up with some other motorhomers who can help you sort out how the charging system works if you don't have a manual.
As a last resort, well first as far as I'm concerned send me a plane ticket and I will fly out with my test equipment and sort it out for you, just expences will cover it, hee hee.

Bring your sun block 36 here today:Cool:

Upvote 0

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Have you checked your fuses?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unitedgirl

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks guys!!

I tend to agree that it could be the fuses especially as the lights are not working even when hooked up, now the next question is...are the habitation fuses in the same place as the cab fuses, probably down under the steering column somewhere??

PS. Wildman, I would swap places with you for a bit of cooler weather, it is just not cooling down here and starting to get on my nerves, especially sweating under the hood of the MH in the blazing sun...hmmm not attractive...:winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You really need somebody who has the same mh as yourself.

Typically they are in the drivers side footwell, under the bonnet etc, they try to hide them so its gets you annoyed when trying to find them.

Be carefull under the bonnet as there could be some high voltage relays there that you need to diconnect the battery to work on safely.

Do you have email access to the manufacture. They should be able to tell you where they are.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unitedgirl

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Jim, good advice.

I have conceeded and have a mechanic chap coming to look at it this afternoon!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unitedgirl

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

Just to say, the mystery is solved, it was both the battery and a fuse!! So now we have a new one of each and all working fine!

Thanks again everyone.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back