Near miss (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
They say an inch is as good as a mile if you miss.
Driving through stourport I was suddenly aware of a car blowing his horn and
Flashing his head lights, pulling over thinking I my have cut him up and he wanted
A friendly chat.
Half on the foot path to stop blocking road, I jumped out walk briskly towards him
Expecting an altercation. WRONG :D.
He pointed at side of my van, my near side sliding locker was all the way open about 2" away from the wall I had pulled up by.
He told me he had followed me for 3 miles with the draw sliding in and out, but it was only when I nearly took two people off the footpath he stopped me for which I am very grateful.
I ham not to prowd to say it was my fault.:(
But I have spent all day today fitting a buzzer operated by door switches to draw and step.
Hope this stops someone else doing the same thing.(y)
Regards Andy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is easy to change your username if you want. Perhaps "Loose Drawers" now? But thanks for the heads up - the worst I've done so far is the EHU flap lifting up as we drove along - but fortunately I could see it in the mirror.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Andy. I did something similar last year. Stopped at roadwork traffic lights and bloke got out of his car in front. Told me my step was out. Said, I hope not, don't have one! Turned out my under side locker had slid out. Nothing missing and no damage or accident but could have been horrific. Now double check everything before moving off. Lessons for us all!! :whew:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that doesn't bear thinking about. could of been some really nasty injuries

back when I was a teenager, one of the neighbours sons got in a lot of trouble. he was in a car with some mates messing around and they thought it would be a laugh to roll up a newspaper and lean out the window to hit pedestrians as they drove along. one chap ended up in hospital with a fractured jaw. needless to say, he and his mates were in deep doo doo

OP
OP
LOOSE WHEEL
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
It is easy to change your username if you want. Perhaps "Loose Drawers" now? But thanks for the heads up - the worst I've done so far is the EHU flap lifting up as we drove along - but fortunately I could see it in the mirror.
Perhaps my misses could use that username:LOL: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You might want to fit a strap so that it if does come lose and open again it will limit how far out it can go ... on a previous MH we had a large side locker in the side skirt with a door that hinged downwards. While we were travelling along a motorway in France, which was quite bumpy in places, and it was chucking it down for good measure, the locker door suddenly opened then started to scrape along the road and the contents of the locker made a bid for freedom! Fortunately with the locker being on the right of the MH it was on the inside lane next to the hard shoulder. We pulled over as quickly as possible onto the hard shoulder and I then put on all my fluorescent gear and walked carefully back up the motorway to see where the contents were - levelling ramps, water containers, electric lead etc - not because I desperately wanted them back, but to ensure that they hadn't landed on the motorway itself as I didn't want to be responsible for causing an accident! After a couple of hundred yards I found them, fortunately they were scattered on the hard shoulder and a bit battered, but they were all accounted for thank goodness.

When we stopped later on I set to and made a temporary strap to ensure that the locker door couldn't flop right down again. Once home I did a more permanent job and also fitted a small motorcycle rack 'cargo net' so that even if the door somehow came open again in the future nothing could escape.

I think the reason it came open, despite having 2 locks on, was due to the bad surface of the motorway causing the MH to rock/bump around which allowed the skirt to flex so that the catches couldn't hold it.

You can see the locker near the habitation door here:

side locker.jpg

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Driving through stourport I was suddenly aware of a car blowing his horn and
Flashing his head lights, pulling over thinking I my have cut him up and he wanted
A friendly chat.
On the plus side you stopped, I had an incident a while back. Caught up with a camper that was driving along the motorway, with the satellite dish still in the 'up' position.
I did the same, hooting horn, flashing lights, couldn't get his attention. I even drove in front of him with the hazards on, pointing to the hard shoulder out of the window. Eventually he pulled off into a services, he too was expecting a confrontation. I explained what the issue was, and he was eternally grateful :D

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
On the plus side you stopped, I had an incident a while back. Caught up with a camper that was driving along the motorway, with the satellite dish still in the 'up' position.
I did the same, hooting horn, flashing lights, couldn't get his attention. I even drove in front of him with the hazards on, pointing to the hard shoulder out of the window. Eventually he pulled off into a services, he too was expecting a confrontation. I explained what the issue was, and he was eternally grateful :D

Bet his other half was watching Eastenders..Spoil sport.....!:happy:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
A MH went round the roundabout on the Scarborough/ Brid road and cast off two kids bikes and carried on dragging two adult bikes behind him, the bikes were weaving all over the road, cars blowing horns,flashing light, the driver was totally oblivious, don't know what happen. We were going the opposite way and helped move the roundabout bikes.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
A MH went round the roundabout on the Scarborough/ Brid road and cast off two kids bikes and carried on dragging two adult bikes behind him, the bikes were weaving all over the road, cars blowing horns,flashing light, the driver was totally oblivious, don't know what happen. We were going the opposite way and helped move the roundabout bikes.

Were they the ones you put up for sale on here?!!! :think:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hands up if you've driven with your hike roof up :ROFLMAO:

About seven years ago I came across a caravan going north up the M5 with his Heki up.
I pulled in front of him, put the hazards on, and very gradually slowed down, pulling into the hard shoulder with me doing upward pointing motions, (one finger only);) skywards.
Fortunately the driver summised there was something not right and followed me and stopped.

I'm glad I wasn't in his car to be a witness to the ensuing conversation between driver and wife.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On way home last year I stopped early on a Saturday morning at Aldi's in Poitiers. As I swung in a beeping started & I said to the wife
"that's an alarm" but couln't figure what it was until I looked in mirror as I swung around to see the step unfolding & the lower one sliding out .:eek:
Something had slid across by the hab door & managed to rest on the remote control 'out' button as I turned. :D
Fortunately it was just before they opened & no one about.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
You were very lucky,it could have got caught in someone else's drawers!! Then you would have been in real trouble,nick nick :groan:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back