LEDs getting hot..? (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just noticed that my G4 replacements are hot in my downlighting spots, am I right in thinking that they should burn cool...?

These are what I've used....
image.png

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the details don't quote the wattage, presuming they are 5W ish there will still be some heat, but I would not have thought they would be hot, certainly nowhere near as hot as the halogens they replaced

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just noticed that my G4 replacements are hot in my downlighting spots, am I right in thinking that they should burn cool...?

The bulbs tend to be specced at 12V. Mine all got hot and failed early due to being on hookup quite a bit. The charger voltage quite often hit 14.5V.

I put a voltage regulator on my lighting circuit to stabilise the voltage at 12v and I don't see the overheating problem anymore and the LED's last a much longer time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
the details don't quote the wattage, presuming they are 5W ish there will still be some heat, but I would not have thought they would be hot, certainly nowhere near as hot as the halogens they replaced

I think they are 1.5 or 3w?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think they are 1.5 or 3w?

should be even cooler then

worth looking at the spec, some have specific input voltage, as Gromett had suggested this could be an issue, you can get some that work within a wider range say 10 - 36V DC something like that

they could just be a bad batch though, or not a good make

the first batch I bought caused me all sorts of issues with fuses, one bulb even smoked when fitted, new ones from a new supplier all fine (y)

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
After taking advice re 12v LED's being a bit iffy I went for these. Warm in the lounge area and cool in the kitchen and bathroom and they have been great.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
buy cheap you get cheap..

as already said.. you need LEDs that are voltage regulated from 10 - 30v as sold by Aten lighting

Regulated from 10-30V
Diameter - 30mm
Approximate light output - 160lm
1.6W power consumption
Not polarity Sensitive
1 year guarantee

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I had same problems.Bought of eBay.Mine got so hot they started smoking.so hot it took the skin off fingers just touching.Stripped them all out.Bought from Aten lighting two year's ago.no problems all cool.The old saying you pay for what you get.Some on here have bought from eBay with no problems.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are 3 ways to go about this.
1) Buy unregulated LED's dirt cheap and connect them to your (unregulated) battery directly. Live with heat problems and much shorter lifespan.
2) Buy regulated LED's, These come with a regulator/voltage converter built in. These are a bit pricier but will run the LED's at a precise voltage optimised for lifespan.
3) Buy a regulator and connect it to the supply for all Lights, then use cheap unregulated LEDS.

The 1st option is cheap up front but will cost you in the long run.

The 2nd option is best if you can't install a fixed regulator. However it will cost you a little more up front and has medium term cost impacts.

The 3rd option is best if you can install a fixed regulator. It costs quite a bit up front but your long term costs are reduced.

If you are a fulltimer or spend a lot of time in the van then the 3rd option is best. If you are just a summer user for weekends and the odd week then option 2 will probably be best.

I have been through all three options and the final one was the best one for me as a fulltimer. The individual regulated LED's did last a lot longer than the cheap ones but they still went dim (in groups of 3) after 3-6 months of non stop use...

I was going to give the link to the regulator I bought but the companies website is currently down for a rejig.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back