Thetford freezer OK, fridge not (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
The freezer compartment is getting very cold but the fridge is sitting at 8oC regardless of setting. This is a Thetford N112 fridge and is on mains power.
My guess is the thermistor in the fridge compartment has failed. Going away in a week so not got time to take it anywhere.

Anyone think it may be something different. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The freezer compartment is getting very cold but the fridge is sitting at 8oC regardless of setting.

Unless it has twin cooling units, I would suspect the fridge door seal is leaking..
the seal may damaged or the door needs adjusting

check all round with a credit card or similar .. the magnetic door strip should hold the card..

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks. I have checked the seal and it looks to be sealing all round though I have now cleaned the rubber seal and the frame of the fridge. Will reprimand the wife later for not having cleaned the fridge properly ;-)
Left it for an hour and still not cooling the fridge.
Phoned an engineer who couldn't come out but said it was most likely the thermistor and advised disconnecting it and seeing if that helps and then buying a new one. Trouble is when disconnected, the fridge shows a warning symbol and I assume may not be operating.

Trying to find the resistance/temperature curve for the thermistor to test it but searched in vain so far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
New thermistor didn't make any difference. Have had the fridge/freezer on all day and it cooled down to about 6oC. However, there is a strong smell from the vents on the fridge of ammonia which I believe is what is used as the coolant. Assume I have a leak the pipes and have lost the pressure so I assume its a new fridge for me. I assume I will have to replace the N112 with the newer N3112. Biggest issue other than the cost is the current(broken) fridge has a front panel that matches the rest of the interior. It looks like the new fridge will only be available in black. If I am lucky the doors might be able to be swapped over.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Assuming it was new with the van then it is 6 years old and I have had it for 2 years. Guess they have a lot to put up with being driven around the roads of the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back