Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I have a big ol' A&E awning on Winnie, my question is:

1. What kind of wind can these things take?..........any horror stories?
2. Are they o.k with snow?
3. Which is better and why........Awning legs on the ground or fixed to the side?
4. Do I need to service it?

I have had it extended in 40mph winds with the ani-flap clamps and the storm strap fitted without a problem so far............. but I don't want to damage it as they are over £1500 to replace.

Any advice would be great :thumb:

Boo

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On our Euro van we have a 4.5 metre awning and were warned to take it down in high winds. We have the legs to ground held down with two pegs each. We also have a tie down on each leg and we throw one over the middle of the awning to stop it flapping (were advised against this as may stretch the awning edges) If it does we take the view "so what" I'd rather stretch the edges than have it rip the side out of the van. We then take a judgment when to take it down as the wind gets up. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Boo,The American ones will take a lot more hammer than the European ones. I use a tyedown kit on mine and leave it out all winter in Spain when the Europeans are running in and out winding Fiamas etc in.I personaly find it stronger with the legs fixed to the side of the van.Obviosly if its goig to be gail force then wind it in to be on the safe side.Regarding snow,have never been anywhere with snow for years.:ROFLMAO:.Make sure that one end is lower than the other so that rain runs off,water is heavy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Gusts of wind are the worst, I never leave ours deployed overnight or if leaving the site, I've seen several over the roof resulting in ripped fabric and damage to legs and coach work .. it's not worth the risk.. as soon as it starts to flap badly .. I get it stowed.

I use the wall brackets, if using the feet on the ground you need to peg down and use a tie down strap..

Never tried with snow but I imagine the weight could rip the fabric.. I await your report with baited breath :roflmto:

The only maintenance needed is to wash the fabric, I first wash off with a hose, brush in a mild soap solution, roll it up and leave for 30 mins.. unfurl and hose off.

For really stubborn dirt Therford Awning cleaner is very good.

I recommend a travel strap, I lost an awning on the M6 when it deployed after being struck by a strong side gust .. I was lucky and only needed a new fabric.. about £260 DIY fitting , this is a well reported problem on the yank forums.

Strap supplied by Linda at Stateside Tuning , easy to fit and worth the £50

Link Removed

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
You ain't seen snow for years??.....................and your called SNOWbird? lolol! :ROFLMAO:

Mine doesn't wind out, it's a lever for in and out and you just hook the strap and pull or push :thumb:

Boo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
40mph winds you must be mad:Eeek:
I was there along with a few other very big blokes trying to stop Olleys awning being ripped off and thrown over his RV roof, despite all efforts it tossed us about like rag dolls and causd damage to a few roof fittings as well as destroying the legs, and yes they were well pegged down and strapped, as for snow it will stretch the fabric out of shape and any awning fabric out of shape is not going to roll back up properly and then you will have the danger of it catching wind when driving and then un unfurling on the Motorway not a pleasant experiance
Ken stop straping the fabric!!!!!
Geo

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi

Gusts of wind are the worst, I never leave ours deployed overnight or if leaving the site, I've seen several over the roof resulting in ripped fabric and damage to legs and coach work .. it's not worth the risk.. as soon as it starts to flap badly .. I get it stowed.

I use the wall brackets, if using the feet on the ground you need to peg down and use a tie down strap..

Never tried with snow but I imagine the weight could rip the fabric.. I await your report with baited breath :roflmto:

The only maintenance needed is to wash the fabric, I first wash off with a hose, brush in a mild soap solution, roll it up and leave for 30 mins.. unfurl and hose off.

For really stubborn dirt Therford Awning cleaner is very good.

I recommend a travel strap, I lost an awning on the M6 when it deployed after being struck by a strong side gust .. I was lucky and only needed a new fabric.. about £260 DIY fitting , this is a well reported problem on the yank forums.

Strap supplied by Linda at Stateside Tuning , easy to fit and worth the £50

Link Removed

Does that mean you need a ladder or have to get on top to fasten the strap Jim?

Do I need to oil or greese it anywhere?

Boo

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
40mph winds you must be mad:Eeek:
I was there along with a few other very big blokes trying to stop Olleys awning being ripped off and thrown over his RV roof, despite all efforts it tossed us about like rag dolls and causd damage to a few roof fittings as well as destroying the legs, and yes they were well pegged down and strapped, as for snow it will stretch the fabric out of shape and any awning fabric out of shape is not going to roll back up properly and then you will have the danger of it catching wind when driving and then un unfurling on the Motorway not a pleasant experiance
Ken stop straping the fabric!!!!!Geo

I here what you say Geo but why? We have a centre bar and the fabric is held down onto this with the extra tie down. Apart from the fact it may stretch the edge a bit (does this really matter much). :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does that mean you need a ladder or have to get on top to fasten the strap Jim?

Do I need to oil or greese it anywhere?

Boo

No ladder required, the clamp is operated using the awning 'wand'

I occasionally oil the hinge pins.. other than that no.

jim

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
When I used awning on Euro van once went out for the day on a site in the Midlands we had a lovely day on returning to the site it looked as if it had been struck by a tornado. At least 20 vans had been struck by a sudden series of short but very violent gusts of wind.
Awnings were all flipped over the vans, both caravans and motorhomes, We had only been a few miles away and had seen no sign of winds. The Wardens had been at the site for years and said they had never seen anything like it.
We were always very careful after and in fact stopped using awnings soon after, I lived by the maxim better a live coward than a dead hero.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive got an A&E roll out awning and all that I can say is the fella who designed it must o been on drugs.

If ever I use it which is not often I have the legs clamped in to the side.

It doesnt take much wind for the clamps on the roof of the van to start rattling so its got to be very, very sunny and flat calm before I even think about it.

Make sure that you keep all of the sliding bits well lubricated, they will bind if you dont

Jim
:Smile:

Last edited:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I may be lucky, but I have never suffered awning damage in 10 years or so I've been using them. I have a DWL (German) sailcloth wind out awning on my Hobby. It comes equipped with twin spring tiedowns which attach at the top of the legs, and each one is adjustable. I also use two extra guyropes which attach to the tiedown shackles at each mount. I set out each 'guy' at 45 degrees to the corners, and ensure that each is as tight as possible. When the guys are set, it is impossible to move the front bar. I also leave a couple of turns of awning fabric around the roller, so that the fabric won't tear at the join.

Here is a pic of the set up at last weeks Shrewsbury Folk festival. It was very windy, as you can see from my spinners, and the awning didn't move an inch!!

DSCN2527.jpg

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I here what you say Geo but why? We have a centre bar and the fabric is held down onto this with the extra tie down. Apart from the fact it may stretch the edge a bit (does this really matter much). :Doh:

Hi Geo, just wondered if there is some other reason I should not strap the fabric? What you said was backed up by the manufacturer but they just mentioned the danger of stretching the edges which I don't mind so much. We found that the strap across the middle stopped nearly all of the "flapping" although we still take it down in "high winds". ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Ken
Stretching of the fabric in my opinion is asking for trouble in the not too distant future:Doh:
The system relies on the sheet remaining the size and most importantly the shape it is,
exaggerating slightly to make the point, stretch the sides and your roller will need say 20 revolutions to take up the middle and 21 to take up the sides, it cant do both:Eeek:
so a baggy difficult to close up awning will be the result,

I have seen many with that very problem,not caused by using your particular method, most likely due to not slanting the awning when rain is expected, allowing water to pool and stretch fabric, poorly tensioned awnings allow the wind to bellow the sheet to much, also with the same result
Best solution is to have a taught straight fabric slanted as described in wet weather and tied only using the metal parts, awning anti flappers are available to help with what you do with your extra tie down. check out some RVs we use anti flappers on a regular basis
Geo
PS Try rolling up a swimming cap, around a rolling pin

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Ken
Stretching of the fabric in my opinion is asking for trouble in the not too distant future:Doh:
The system relies on the sheet remaining the size and most importantly the shape it is,
exaggerating slightly to make the point, stretch the sides and your roller will need say 20 revolutions to take up the middle and 21 to take up the sides, it cant do both:Eeek:
so a baggy difficult to close up awning will be the result,

I have seen many with that very problem,not caused by using your particular method, most likely due to not slanting the awning when rain is expected, allowing water to pool and stretch fabric, poorly tensioned awnings allow the wind to bellow the sheet to much, also with the same result
Best solution is to have a taught straight fabric slanted as described in wet weather and tied only using the metal parts, awning anti flappers are available to help with what you do with your extra tie down. check out some RVs we use anti flappers on a regular basis
Geo
PS Try rolling up a swimming cap, around a rolling pin

Thanks Geo, that makes sense now and I shall desist. Must find out about those anti flappers (sounds disgusting) I can never understand why the makers can't incorporate a means to tie the fabric to the wind out legs. :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
SJim,
Where did you get it from and how easy to fit? Mine slightly torn as a result of a tight turn in a village in France.
JK

Hi

Linda from Stateside Tuning supplied ..

It's fairly easy to replace, comes with full instructions.. :roflmto:

a couple of helpers are useful when feeding the new fabric onto the roller and roof rail..

she also sells awning fabric repair tape.. might save you a few bob

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back