What is involved in going down the Inverter route? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I know that there are some knowledgable types on here that have not only done the research but have actually performed the task.

What is involved in, say, having an Inverter with the guts to do most reasonable things to allow one to go 'Off Line'. One that is plumbed in (to mix my power sources) to take over when the leccky from the tap is not available.
I appreciate the need for sufficient battery banks and the solar to go with that but, how much is actually involved in providing the various conections to enable an on board Inverter to allow one to stay away from the mains.
Is it a big job with many hours of work ( I couldn't envisage doing it myself) so Hrs. Means £'s.

Any workings out on the back of a fag packet, gratefully received.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the resources section there is an article by @Techno describing how to wire an inverter with auto mains switching. I did something similar myself and if did take a considerable time I wouldn't wanted to be paying someone to do it. The amount of labour involved with depends how easy it is to get as existing wiring and how the van has been wired. In my case I could only wire 2 of the 4 sockets to change over but I did add a couple of sockets in the garage for charging the bikes.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
For a good quality 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter fitted, adjacent to your batteries, with good quality Mega fuses installed on decent quality, correctly made battery cables, remote switched on and off, with automatic safety switching between incoming mains and inverted 220vac, wired with an RCD on the inverted output to all of your 13 amp sockets, you should be looking at £799 installed, with 13 amp sockets available when the inverter is switched on

Of course, should you choose an installation Company that gives Funsters a discount (y) you could save 10% on that ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Any workings out on the back of a fag packet, gratefully received.
CA_09061318572565-L.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would think that Eddies offer is pretty good as there is a fair bit of messing about and Knowledge involved, you would have to be a die hard DIY'r to do it yourself. I would be careful to make sure that the Modified sine wave inverter will run everything you want as ours did'nt but there again ours was rubbish and Eddie did say "a good quality".

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
On our "installed" prices we take an average installation time, add up the SSP of the components and arrive at a "fitted" price

In this case we calculate that it is two installers about four hours, with the longest bit establishing which sockets are on which wires ensuring that other 220VAC appliances such as charging units, water heaters, heating and fridges are not on the Inverted AC supply

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
For a good quality 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter fitted, adjacent to your batteries, with good quality Mega fuses installed on decent quality, correctly made battery cables, remote switched on and off, with automatic safety switching between incoming mains and inverted 220vac, wired with an RCD on the inverted output to all of your 13 amp sockets, you should be looking at £799 installed, with 13 amp sockets available when the inverter is switched on

Of course, should you choose an installation Company that gives Funsters a discount (y) you could save 10% on that ;)
Any links to the mega fuses? Thanks.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use the blue sea brand fuse carrier and this price is cheap believe me

EDIT anything with nuts or bolts is far better than screws

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

I've actually seen the technology in the garage of Andy's van.
Saw a similar setup once on an episode of Star Trek. Only on the TV that one wasn't as complex.
Oh! and thanks for the fag packet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our "installed" prices we take an average installation time, add up the SSP of the components and arrive at a "fitted" price

In this case we calculate that it is two installers about four hours, with the longest bit establishing which sockets are on which wires ensuring that other 220VAC appliances such as charging units, water heaters, heating and fridges are not on the Inverted AC supply
Seems a very reasonable price when I remember the time it took to trace and rewire the mains in my van.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This is the type of fuse you need. I have a double fuse box but can't find one for sale anywhere now.
$(KGrHqN,!ikE5esVbRFVBOf)UqZNWw~~60_1.JPG

Don't forget you will need a big fuse like this between the batteries as well, I only have two batteries with a 300A fuse one the inverter side and a 150A fuse between the two batteries.

You can simplify the wiring for the automatic changeover by using a combined charger and inverter like this inexpensive one,, and simply turn off your inbuilt charger. This will charge your batteries when you have mains and automatically switch to inverter if the mains fails or is not connected.

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
I cut the wire 6" in from the EHU entry and put a single socket on the EHU side and a plug on the other end. Then ran a small extension from the inventor which is under the same seat to the socket.
So if we're on EHU (rarely) you plug it in to that, if your not and you want 240v plug it in the inventor this would power up every thing however for the sake of the batteries I make sure the electric heater, water, fridge and charger are off or on gas so it only makes the microwave, and sockets live.
I also purchased a socket night light and plugged it in to a obviouse socket so when it's switched on the light lights up. As on as the second time we used it we forgot to switch it off and the inventor flattened the battery.
This was cheap and quick 1 hour work and the invertor from the old van o and 70p for the plug light thing...
So am I missing something or am I set up in a dangerous way ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back