Peterborough - Possibly had my Card Scammed (1 Viewer)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just a cautionary note to warn others. Checked my online bank statement this evening after making a couple of purchases at Peterborough Show. Also withdrew some cash out at the show from one of these £1.75 charge cash machines adjacent to the Campers site shop, but didn't notice anything unusual.

I noticed on my statement that my two purchases were there but in-between the genuine purchases were three amounts of £490 and two more pending at £496. These were all in the name of NW Card Services. So the bastards have had £2462

After spending 1.5 hours on the phone my bank will be re-imbursing me in full, including the two pending transactions which they are powerless to stop.

SO BE WARNED - I recall something similar at Peterborough Show in previous years

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sounds like the atm machine was scammed, do you coveryour hand when you enter PIN?
I am not criticising, just curious.

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The atm was in a corridor and only my wife was present

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I remember reading here of the same happening last year. Wasn't it something to do with the wifi for ca d payments on stands? The signal involving the card information was somehow intercepted, like the card readers on contactless ?
Glad you got it sorted with the bank though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Suggest you make Warners aware of this - it may be something they are not aware of and need to check before they use the site again ... something fishy going on me'thinks.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The atm was in a corridor and only my wife was present
Sadly, the scam works by using a camera fitted to the machine, watching your hand, and a 'card skimmer' which reads the number. The scammers will retrieve the device later and marry PIN's to card numbers.
@Hollyberry contactless only works up to £30, so I guess that is not the issue in this case.
The transactions are all under £500, the usual limit on an ATM, which leads me to suspect the ATM machine. So this is a very useful post for all those who attended the meet.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I remember reading here of the same happening last year. Wasn't it something to do with the wifi for ca d payments on stands? The signal involving the card information was somehow intercepted, like the card readers on contactless ?
Glad you got it sorted with the bank though.

I think this may be correct. We had our card scammed and the only purchase at the time was from a stall at the Malvern show.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I used the ATM at the show. No mystery withdrawals yet.
cashmachine.png

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think it is coincidental.

We had a call from our bank whilst at a Peterborough show 2 years ago. The transactions in question were a day or two previous to our Peterborough purchase.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It happened at Malvern year before last after paying on a trader mobile card machine. Quite a few were victim but my bank is on the ball and no transactions went through. It's definitely done wirelessly IMHO

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I didn't mean that to sound dismissive.

The show would be a prime target for card skimmers. Lots of rich retirees, not too techno-savvy, with big bank balances primed to spend big on a new motorhome.

If I was a card fraudster, I'd be there too!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I don't think they need to brave the Peterborough weather. Seems they can clone cards without ever having sight of them. I had dodgy withdrawals made on a card that had never left my desk. In fact, it was still stuck to the letter with that gunk they use. Thousands of frauds every day, I'm sure they could stop them, but they make so much money they want to keep the cards easy to use. They write the fraud off with a smile. It's peanuts compared to their profits

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
When ours was cloned 'at the Peterborough Show', it was in fact only one of a huge batch of compromised cards.
The bank wouldn't admit it, but it must have been their security lapse, not ours.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Sorry to hear this. Its great you managed to sort out and get reimbursed, its the hassle factor and stress that you don't need.

To try to limit any one taking large sums if they get details to my card I have a card that I keep with just around the £250 on and no overdraft allowance. Its easier enough to transfer money to it when I need to. Same as if we are out for the night its the only card I take.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Safest way is to tell the wife that you have forgotten your cards and you only have £50 cash in your pocket. That will stop all this card fraud at shows and make for a happy weekend.(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think they need to brave the Peterborough weather. Seems they can clone cards without ever having sight of them. I had dodgy withdrawals made on a card that had never left my desk. In fact, it was still stuck to the letter with that gunk they use. Thousands of frauds every day, I'm sure they could stop them, but they make so much money they want to keep the cards easy to use. They write the fraud off with a smile. It's peanuts compared to their profits
When ours was cloned 'at the Peterborough Show', it was in fact only one of a huge batch of compromised cards.
The bank wouldn't admit it, but it must have been their security lapse, not ours.
Correct. It was 2014 when a number of cards (including mine) were compromised and the initial problem appeared to be on-line bookings with Warners (not usage at Peterborough or any other show). I followed it up as far as the Payments Council (which also represents The UK Cards Association) and they eventually admitted that the problem is caused by allowing transactions to be made using only the long card number (i.e. no PIN or CVV security code) to pander to some of their high volume users whose transaction throughput might suffer otherwise.
Security comes a long way behind profit and, as far as the card issuers are concerned the inconvenience to customers of having to change cards is of no consequence.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Peterbough card cloning is this year's gassing!
It's official!:D

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Correct. It was 2014 when a number of cards (including mine) were compromised and the initial problem appeared to be on-line bookings with Warners (not usage at Peterborough or any other show). I followed it up as far as the Payments Council (which also represents The UK Cards Association) and they eventually admitted that the problem is caused by allowing transactions to be made using only the long card number (i.e. no PIN or CVV security code) to pander to some of their high volume users whose transaction throughput might suffer otherwise.
Security comes a long way behind profit and, as far as the card issuers are concerned the inconvenience to customers of having to change cards is of no consequence.
They picked the wrong guy when they did yours Graham(y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sadly, the scam works by using a camera fitted to the machine, watching your hand, and a 'card skimmer' which reads the number. The scammers will retrieve the device later and marry PIN's to card numbers.
@Hollyberry contactless only works up to £30, so I guess that is not the issue in this case.
The transactions are all under £500, the usual limit on an ATM, which leads me to suspect the ATM machine. So this is a very useful post for all those who attended the meet.

It wasn't contactless payments at the show.
Last year ( poss year before, can't remember exactly) several people reported unauthorised payments on their cards after the same show. The common thing was they'd all purchased items at stands using their cards. The stands owners all used a wifi connection for their card machines and it was thought that the info on the cards was stolen because it was wifi.
And on TV last week it showed how someone with a reader ( sorry font know the technical names) could watch you paying for something then bumping into you ( knowing where you put your card) and getting all the card details.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
When I was SOCO in the West Midlands, I was called to a cash machine at a petrol station that had a camera fitted to it by card scammers. They sit nearby with a laptop and watch you entering your card details whilst electronics scan your card. The camera and scanner fit over the top of the real machine and slot so as you enter you card it goes through their scanner.

I arrived at the petrol station and was met by one of the police officers 'guarding' the cashpoint who directed me to the machine that had been targeted. I looked at it for a few seconds and then asked the officer if he was sure that this machine was the correct one as I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Well it was the correct machine but the device was so well made that it really did look like part of the machine!

I photographed it in situ and then removed the device for forensic examination and fingerprinting.

I can tell you that it was very well made indeed in moulded plastic and painted to look the part and had all the electronics and pin hole camera fitted inside. It would and did easily fool people, and at first it fooled me - and I was looking for it!

The device was stuck on over the real machine with double sided tape.

Ever since when I use a cash machine I take a good close look at it and give the gubbins at the top a quick tug to see if it comes off! (y)

I should also add - don't let the card out of your sight, it could be taken away to run through a scanner...it only takes a second.

KH

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't think they need to brave the Peterborough weather. Seems they can clone cards without ever having sight of them. I had dodgy withdrawals made on a card that had never left my desk. In fact, it was still stuck to the letter with that gunk they use. Thousands of frauds every day, I'm sure they could stop them,they are fighting it daily but they make so much money they want to keep the cards easy to use. They write the fraud off with a smile.No they dont, It's peanuts compared to their profits

Having spent a long time in Fraud Prevention, I can assure Funsters that the banks do take it seriously but, its a never ending battle.

Real time transaction fraud is being prevented after a huge investment in technology.
Application Fraud has been a long hard slog.

But there are some really dumb customers and a small number of bent staff, how do you prevent that?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I didn't mean that to sound dismissive.

The show would be a prime target for card skimmers. Lots of rich retirees, not too techno-savvy, with big bank balances primed to spend big on a new motorhome.

You sound like somebody trained in Wisbech . Haha

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

I agree that it was the booking with warners where the card fraud happened as we had it happen to us,bank refunded 2 items bought and stopped a third all on Amazon Luxembourg

Joe

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having spent a long time in Fraud Prevention, I can assure Funsters that the banks do take it seriously

They could stop most all credit card fraud, but it would be so inconvenient for customers to register fingerprint or eye scans, to answer questions etc, can you imagine queues at checkouts etc. No, like all security it's a trade off between security and convenience. So they run with a compromised system and accept the losses.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I don't usually let my card out of my sight but in a portuguese restaurant last week she walked off with it to get a card machine but then said no. Meaning is not acceptable here. Santander cards not accepted a lot in Portugal by the way. I'm keeping a close watch on my account now.
Difficult to say don't take my card away when you don't speak portuguese. Had to pay cash in the end.

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Update - have had the 3 lots of £490 credited back to our account overnight and so there are now the 2 x £496 withdrawls to be returned.

Jim was the ATM you used up near the Campers shop?

Re the comment about rich pensioners at shows etc - there was a fair amount of money in the account due to the fact that we are having a new bathroom installed.

I consider myself fairly astute and streetwise as I told the guy in the fraud department, but he said there are thousands of these things happening every minute of the day. Evident by the fact that I had to wait nearly 15 minutes for the fraud dept to answer the phone.

Finally, I really wasn't going to post on here, but it could have happened to someone who only had £500 in their account.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
They could stop most all credit card fraud, but it would be so inconvenient for customers to register fingerprint or eye scans, to answer questions etc, can you imagine queues at checkouts etc. No, like all security it's a trade off between security and convenience. So they run with a compromised system and accept the losses.
I agree, but the cost would be huge and the customers would decline it, can you imagine a database of all customers fingerprints, the old bill would be there ASAP,

Yes Fraud can be stopped, but, its never going to happen, technology is not a full solution, the industry will always take a hit, same as shops take a hit from shoplifters.

I dread to think what they now spend on technology, my Application Fraud Budget was about £1m a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back