Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then
I am thinking and hoping to pop over to France in the next couple of weeks, where do you funsters travel from and end up.....by ferry.....is it cheaper than the tunnel, and is it easy ....will be taking our dog as well.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can only suggest get on line and get some quotes. Then add in the factor of the possibility of disruption on the tunnel and Calais routes. I'm happy to keep sailing from Plymouth but might go as far East as Portsmouth at a push. We can take our own food that far!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
how well would you dog travel as on the ferry the dogs have to stay in the van alone for the crossing ours is fine and just sleeps ferry is cheaper than tunnel
weve always gone by ferry but were going over on friday by tunnel thanks to tesco vouchers making it cheaper
i assume youve read up on the pet passport details
if you use tesco vouchers for the tunnel you cant use them for the dogs fees and they charge £17 each way ferry is £30 one way
once over or under the channel we follow our noses usually south at this time of year but last october we had a great week in belgium

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It all depends on where you want to go. If Britanny or west coast of France is your target, Portsmouth or Plymouth are good choices. We went from Plymouth to Britanny in September and the ferry had cabins and walk areas for travellers with dogs. Personally, though I have done Dover to Calais many times by ferry and Chunnel, I would avoid that route right now and in any case from where we live in Cornwall we would only consider it if we were heading to for example Germany or the Somme area.

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
With my caravan :rollingeyes: I went over three times this year (other times with just car) I used DFDS for the first two, out late, mid pm back Dover - Dunkerque/Calais. With the worsening situation at Calais I thought I would try Brittany Ferries out of Portsmouth for the last trip. Very comfortable travelled overnight and able to go to my campsite in a single hit - effectively gaining me and extra day (hallelujah - other faiths exist and I am a non believer but you know what I mean). Saved money on tolls, diesel etc.
I am now a convert and with another funster have joined their frequent traveller scheme for France. The boat was clean, comfortable and many other good words. My motorhome/camping car arrived just before the last trip and will be my accomodation next year. Three trips in the plan at the moment and if Camelot ever get their act together a lot more.
I also met funsters waiting for the ferry back, really good people (Fidget) with their rather impressive motorhome and their friends all of whom made me feel very welcome.

Plymouth or Portsmouth should be good for you and subject ot how many trips and where the savings with Bon Voyage will repay the original joining cost very quickly if not on the first outing.

Sorry I do go on, and on and on ..... Clive

Upvote 0

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
I travel with my dog, normally on Channel Tunnel Last month I used DFDS, Nehaven/Dieppe.Got a good deal. Only takes 4 hours and easy driving once in France. Plus numerous Aires in Dieppe to rest on homeward journey. Just spend time looking for deals....

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I'm not a boat fan so I would happily pay more and travel further to use the tunnel. Particularly as we approach crappy weather and sailings may be affected. :sick:

Upvote 0

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
It was the refugee crisis which detered me on my last trip. Saying that....no problems with the outward journey....just problems with delays on the homeward journey.....possibly.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We went in July for the TdF and we were concerned about the refugee situation.

However, we never saw anything and had no delays at all. We did take the precaution of staying overnight the last night in Boulogne to avoid the worry. Only a short drive to tunnel next morning.

Upvote 0

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
It was the refugee crisis which detered me on my last trip. Saying that....no problems with the outward journey....just problems with delays on the homeward journey.....possibly.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Tunnel dead easy and we don't think our dog would be happy being left alone in the MH on the car deck on the ferry - hence tunnel is our only option anyway!

Upvote 0

sue bullas

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
solihull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
new
Hi I am new here! Been to France and Spain many times by car but not Motor home. am going to spain
near Cartagena what is the best and cheapest ferry to get, there will just be me and a dog (shih tzu)
Hope you can help!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello Sue,

We've been to that part of Spain three times now, around Puerto Mazarron, and always used the Plymouth or Portsmouth-Santander ferry route. We don't have a dog but the big ferries on these routes have both dog-friendly cabins and on-deck dog exercise areas. The run down from there towards Cartagena can either be done in one long (but tiring, especially alone) run, or break it up with one or more stops.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi I am new here! Been to France and Spain many times by car but not Motor home. am going to spain
near Cartagena what is the best and cheapest ferry to get, there will just be me and a dog (shih tzu)
Hope you can help!
The cheapest routes are generally Dover/Calais but with a dog there is a lot in favour of the tunnel as the dog can stay in the vehicle.

We use Plymouth/Santander and will be on it next month but it costs near enough ten times a short crossing! You can avoid most tolls through France and Spain following the routes suggested in the Resources section of the Forum.

And...

:welcomesign:

Upvote 0

sue bullas

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
solihull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
new
thanks for info.dbk. forgot cant use tunnel as i have a bit of phobia! and calais is prob with refugees!!! may try santander 1 way but i know its very expensive!!

guess i left it late but have only just got MH and dog is puppy!!! thanks again sue

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It all depends how you define expense. If you were to drive all that way, you'd be doing well in excess of 1000 miles each way, with all the stress, tiredness, wear and tear and fuel/toll charges anyway. Horses for courses I suppose, and we have in the past done the long drive down the West Coast of France, but I would always allow lots of time for that. Yes, on the face of it the ferry is expensive, but worth it I think. We used to be members of the Britanny Ferries (Spain) Club Voyage which gets you 30% off the ferry price, but last year we switched to the France club. It used to be the case that if you shared your CV membership number with someone else, they got 10% off and you got a £10 in return. Don't know whether that still applies, especially if the "donor" is in the French club and the receiver wants to travel to Spain, but you could check that out with BF and if it is, I would be happy to let you have our number by PM, if you want. Gary

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
thanks for info.dbk. forgot cant use tunnel as i have a bit of phobia! and calais is prob with refugees!!! may try santander 1 way but i know its very expensive!!

guess i left it late but have only just got MH and dog is puppy!!! thanks again sue
There are alternatives of course. Given where you live Plymouth/Roscoff is an easy drive or try from Portsmouth.

Upvote 0

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Hi..hope noone minds me joining this thread..so what red tape do you have go through with dogs?obviously they have jabs and passports,do the customs want to see the dogs? We have staffie x and I have heard that the french consider them dangerous!

Upvote 0

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Well I would recommend Portsmouth/Poole very highly, but then driving from Cornwall I'm probably biased. There is a fast catamaran ferry from Pompey to Cherbourg in the summer months which crosses in just barely 3 hours. In the winter you'll have to go from Poole which is a little over 4 hours if my memory is correct, but the views of the Dorset coast are breathtaking. You can spend the night at either ferry ports neat the departure gates - just remember to set your alarm if you park in the queue!

Cherbourg is great because when you drive off the ferry on arrival there is a handy little park with free parking just off the ferry which is ideal for that first walkies in France! When you return to UK there's a massive unofficial, but very well used and safe, aire overlooking the harbour and beside the fantastic La Citie De La Mer museum which includes submarines (you can go on a French nuke), a titanic exhibition in the original liner departure hall (because she called at Cherbourg on her last voyage), impressive sea life hall and history of the liberation of the city in 1944.

Also you can walk the dog from your motorhome to a English speaking vet, and indeed most of Cherbourg near the harbour, including many restaurants etc. too.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi..hope noone minds me joining this thread..so what red tape do you have go through with dogs?obviously they have jabs and passports,do the customs want to see the dogs? We have staffie x and I have heard that the french consider them dangerous!
I can't speak for every port but in my limited experience they hand the scanner to you so you can zap the microchip and then hand the scanner back to them.

Reactions: kcy
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.so what red tape do you have go through with dogs?obviously they have jabs and passports,do the customs want to see the dogs? We have staffie x and I have heard that the french consider them dangerous!
Two questions..

No red tape.. the dog (chip is scanned) and it's passport are checked before going on the tunnel.. all very quick and easy

Don't know about Staffies in or out of France

Upvote 0

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I can't speak for every port but in my limited experience they hand the scanner to you so you can zap the microchip and then hand the scanner back to them.
Correct in my experience too, catching the little blighter to scan her shoulder (she didn't like the look of it at all) amused the customs people immensely! However recourse to the usual food bribes did the trick.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back