LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I know I grump and groan about having to listen to peeps TV When we're on british sites or sites with lots of Brits. I also understand that people enjoy the odd bit of tv when motorhoming and appreciate we are all different. However, I really am not comprehending why people bother to leave their homes if that's ALL they do ?

We've just spent a wonderful weekend in West Wales, (no we don't have or want a telly, our choice). The beautiful blue sea and spectacular coastline can be seen all around the site, however, 1 pitch is particularly wonderful. Right on the edge, can see for miles and miles of coast. Weather all weekend has been mostly sunny and today glorious. We arrived on Friday evening, motorhome camped on above-mentioned pitch, tough luck on us so we just chose another one and enjoyed what we had. However, the couple on the pitch, (there were only 2 of us on the whole field), never left their van, aside from the loo. They had their curtains shut on the view side and watched TV for the whole 3 days !!!! This morning I sat outside taking in the sounds of birds, sea, soaking up sun and feeling relaxed, but there it was, droning tv which again went on until we left the pitch. Am I missing something ? Why didn't they just camp up the top and give someone else a view they didn't want ? In fact, why did they camp at all ? Am I being grumpy or is there something I'm missing ?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I know I grump and groan about having to listen to peeps TV When we're on british sites or sites with lots of Brits. I also understand that people enjoy the odd bit of tv when motorhoming and appreciate we are all different. However, I really am not comprehending why people bother to leave their homes if that's ALL they do ?

We've just spent a wonderful weekend in West Wales, (no we don't have or want a telly, our choice). The beautiful blue sea and spectacular coastline can be seen all around the site, however, 1 pitch is particularly wonderful. Right on the edge, can see for miles and miles of coast. Weather all weekend has been mostly sunny and today glorious. We arrived on Friday evening, motorhome camped on above-mentioned pitch, tough luck on us so we just chose another one and enjoyed what we had. However, the couple on the pitch, (there were only 2 of us on the whole field), never left their van, aside from the loo. They had their curtains shut on the view side and watched TV for the whole 3 days !!!! This morning I sat outside taking in the sounds of birds, sea, soaking up sun and feeling relaxed, but there it was, droning tv which again went on until we left the pitch. Am I missing something ? Why didn't they just camp up the top and give someone else a view they didn't want ? In fact, why did they camp at all ? Am I being grumpy or is there something I'm missing ?
Spot on with your assessment, they are out there, seen plenty just can't figure out what they get out of it

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I really am not comprehending why people bother to leave their homes if that's ALL they do ?

You have to wonder. So many times we've watched a van arrive and before they hook up the sat disk is hunting.

All nationalities.

We are too poor to own a sat dish so it's pure envy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I know. Even if they came out to sniff the air, or sat outside to look around for an hour every day I could see how that might inform their staying there, but zilch. Felt quite sorry for the wife to be fair, he was literally sat in silhouette in front of the box constantly. We've booked the pitch up for next weekend. Be great if it's as quiet as this weekend. Flippin lovely.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Wouldn't be how we would spend a weekend, but each to their own I say, we all use our vans how we want to and what suits one wouldn't suit another.

Hope you have a lovely time next weekend! (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think deep down you might be suffering from pitch envy :):)

There could be any number of reasons for not going out, the most obvious being disability

That said I do kind of agree with you up to a point, but we do use ours when away, not full time by a long way though

Lets hope they don't go back next weekend again and get there before you again o_O

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We do have a TV and DVD in our bus. We don't watch it often when we are away but now and again we lock ourselves in with a large bottle of something very nice, munch on cheese and biscuits and watch a movie all the way through in our PJs, sometimes even from the comfort of our bed! This is such a treat for us as at home we are constantly interrupted by the children or things work related.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Maybe they weren't married and were in that experimenting part of the relationship. The tv was probably on to hide the jerky movements going on in the van.

Come on we've all done it! That's why we take our TV with us! Where would you be without a dawn strike on a Sunday morning and Match of the day rerun in the background.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Lol we were a little resentful, they cld have been by a brick wall and done same thing. No disability, wombled to loos looking quite functional. We've booked it up for next week end lol. Final phase of de-hibernation of Jumbo :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Maybe they weren't married and were in that experimenting part of the relationship. The tv was probably on to hide the jerky movements going on in the van.

Come on we've all done it! That's why we take our TV with us! Where would you be without a dawn strike on a Sunday morning and Match of the day rerun in the background.
Agree. We take odd dvd with lappy on winter nights. But this is 3 whole days of tv :eek:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Agree. We take odd dvd with lappy on winter nights. But this is 3 whole days of tv :eek:

3 whole consecutive days of sex ..... Can I remember that far back?

Oh you old romantic you!!!

john1953

Free Member
May 29, 2014
middlewich, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
since 2007

Not intending to be rude but yes you are being grumpy, I can think of a lot worse things people do on sites than watch tv all day but I keep my opinions to myself.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I once worked with a guy who bought a new car and caravan,at the w/e he left home on Saturday at noon. He judged a site by the quality of the TV reception. He then sat there watching World of Sport or Grandstand and then Match of the Day afterwards. He then packed up after breakfast on Sunday and was home in time to see the footy repeats. He could have saved himself a fortune by staying at home! Bizarre!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I once worked with a guy who bought a new car and caravan,at the w/e he left home on Saturday at noon. He judged a site by the quality of the TV reception. He then sat there watching World of Sport or Grandstand and then Match of the Day afterwards. He then packed up after breakfast on Sunday and was home in time to see the footy repeats. He could have saved himself a fortune by staying at home! Bizarre!
But if that was how he wanted to spend his time in his caravan, not bothering anyone else - what is the problem?

We live in worrying times - so I probably wouldn't want to watch the news on telly whilst away - but I will watch an episode of Gogglebox or Peter Kay - and I will make sure I don't miss an episode of the Archers on our two months away in Croatia - however we choose to enjoy ourselves - as long as it's not harming anyone else - let it be!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
[QUOTE="snowdrops, Am I being grumpy or is there something I'm missing ?[/QUOTE]
Sorry but yes you might be a little grumpy

People live in different situations, home might not be great for what ever reason

Getting away might be just perfect, adding telly just makes it more perfect

Go to a boat marina and see how many boats don't move but have telly on

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
"Live and let live" is the way forward; unless you are Fred West of course. Personally we don't care what people get up to in their vans; as long as it does not clog up the chemical dump!!!
We take box sets to watch on the laptop for the days when its hissing down but when the weather is fine we like to get out and about.
We will also be in west Wales some time in June, would you be a sweetie and tell us where this idyllic campsite is?

The Tincas

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Had you arrived at the coveted pitch and occupied it before those you speak of did, would you have posted anything at all. I doubt it. I don't have a TV out of choice but I understand others choose to have one, that's their business and not mine. They enjoyed their motorhome their way, you enjoyed yourself your way. What you are missing is that you were suffering from pitch envy because the view you coveted was being wasted. I think I might have been jealous too. But it's first come first served (or pitched)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm glad it's not just me that has made this observation.

I was flabbergasted a few weekends ago with the sheer volume of people who (mostly caravanists) elect to pitch-up and sit there watching TV. OK, so it was cold outside, but walking and cycling and the fantastic countryside were literally just a few steps away.

I concluded that these types of people should buy a second HUGE TV for their living rooms at home and tune it to a channel that does nothing but display countryside views. They can then sell their caravan and that'll pay for the huge TV. The roads would be less congested and campsites would have more space.

Whilst we're having a good old grump, what is it with many campers who insist on having their blinds drawn when inside their 'vans? Natural light is a wonderful thing, but I see so many caravans and motorhomes with tinted windows and half-drawn blinds with their owners sat inside. Madness!

Then again, maybe it's me who is odd.

Post-script: I'm not against these folk. I have no beef with them at all and it's very much their decision. I'm merely expressing my own view and wonderment inline with, it seems, many others who think along similar lines.

john1953

Free Member
May 29, 2014
middlewich, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
since 2007

I was flabbergasted a few weekends ago with the sheer volume of people who (mostly caravanists) elect to pitch-up and sit there watching TV. OK, so it was cold outside, but walking and cycling and the fantastic countryside were literally just a few steps away.

I concluded that these types of people should buy a second HUGE TV for their living rooms at home and tune it to a channel that does nothing but display countryside views. They can then sell their caravan and that'll pay for the huge TV. The roads would be less congested and campsites would have more space.

Whilst we're having a good old grump, what is it with many campers who insist on having their blinds drawn when inside their 'vans? Natural light is a wonderful thing, but I see so many caravans and motorhomes with tinted windows and half-drawn blinds with their owners sat inside. Madness!

Post-script: I'm not against these folk. I have no beef with them at all and it's very much their decision. I'm merely expressing my own view and wonderment inline with, it seems, many others who think along similar lines.

It could well be.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

I refer to my earlier post....... and there are many others agree - as long as they are not causing any harm - leave them be! I don't go on and on about people who sit outside their van reading books, or playing musical instruments, or watching birds, (we do all of these things by the way) but sometimes we also sit in the van and watch telly!
Each to their own!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I know. Even if they came out to sniff the air, or sat outside to look around for an hour every day I could see how that might inform their staying there, but zilch. Felt quite sorry for the wife to be fair, he was literally sat in silhouette in front of the box constantly. We've booked the pitch up for next weekend. Be great if it's as quiet as this weekend. Flippin lovely.

We live in South West Wales & are currently exploring West Wales - where is this site please ?

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Firstly to those who are interested in what site it is, bugger off, am not telling you, it's gonna be my secret :D

Yes one quote was right, it did feel worse because they had an astounding position on the site and weren't even interested in it, at all. Yes bad luck it was right in front of ours, was like rubbing noses in the fact they didn't care to look at or appreciate it.

I did say originally that we're all different and want different things and tacit in that is the knowledge some peeps like bit of telly. However, there is definitely a difference between having the gogglebox as part of your hols and your gogglebox being your whole hols, to the exclusion of all else. I still genuinely can't understand why you would not stay at home and do exactly the same thing, in the comfort of your home. If I'd been 30 yrs younger I would have removed my clothing and ran around the van until someone noticed, as it is, I would now probably drive them over the cliff in horror :D

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I think they were too scared to come out of the van due to the wierd bloke who spent his whole weekend glaring at them and checking to see if their blinds were drawn...

Am female lol !! ................ but yes, there was glaring like small child doh ! :devil:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am reknowned for my withering look so I know we can be much more scarey than the boys! Sorry about that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back